Did everyone else think ESPN+ broadcast pic quality and motion

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Was vastly improved over last year. I thought last year's pic quality was horrible and the motion of the game was horrible also last year. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.

Reactions: jake4state22

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Was vastly improved over last year. I thought last year's pic quality was horrible and the motion of the game was horrible also last year. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.
How were you watching last year, compared to this year? I ask because I started last year using the dedicated ESPN+ app on my TV, and the quality was absolutely terrible. I switched to watching it via Hulu and it improved drastically. Night and day difference.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Yep. Normally I went through Hulu to watch ESPN+ as it seemed to have better results but jumped right to the ESPN app without thinking this time. Quality was really good. Although I'm working with much better internet than in the past. Now have Google Fiber compared to Centurylink.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Yep, much better broadcast. We looked orange last season. Cameras were out of whack. I actually really like that broadcast team other than the UNI love fest in the 4th quarter. I know they were trying not to bury them while they were getting smoked, but it was a little over the top.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Watched on my phone last year, no problem.

Saw maybe 4 plays before it froze up for good yesterday.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I had zero issues viewing using ESPN app on Xbox. I do have very, very fast internet. One thing that is interesting, I wonder how much delay is involved with streaming. Is ESPN app less delayed? Is Hulu app less delayed? I did not think to compare even though I do have both available. Also, I suppose phone apps may be better or worse depending upon 5G connection compared to WiFi speed.

All in all, I thought the picture and sound quality were on par with linear TV yesterday.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
How were you watching last year, compared to this year? I ask because I started last year using the dedicated ESPN+ app on my TV, and the quality was absolutely terrible. I switched to watching it via Hulu and it improved drastically. Night and day difference.
I think I went in through Roku last year, was using g nvidia shield pro this year. I upgraded my LG OLED but I don't think that was it.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I had zero issues viewing using ESPN app on Xbox. I do have very, very fast internet. One thing that is interesting, I wonder how much delay is involved with streaming. Is ESPN app less delayed? Is Hulu app less delayed? I did not think to compare even though I do have both available. Also, I suppose phone apps may be better or worse depending upon 5G connection compared to WiFi speed.

All in all, I thought the picture and sound quality were on par with linear TV yesterday.
Try it through Hulu. I've found it's better. It's easier to FF/RW as well. You get a nice little pic window showing your progress on the game timeline with the Hulu app.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I used Hulu last year, and the espn+ app on my roku yesterday. The colors were vibrant and correct. I thought the production quality was improved over some espn+ bombs last year. The exception being the yard to gain graphic lines were off more than a few times yesterday.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Some of the early camera work was poor. Camera moving all over catching a new shot instead of cutting away.

Doxzon was OK.

Some of the stuff on ESPN+ is worse than high school level. This wasn't bad. Better than the Cyclones.TV era where the broadcast seemed strung together with a pack of Hubba Bubba and a prayer.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
* Picture quality was great. I used the ESPN app on my Roku. No problems.

* Broadcast team was okay; tended to miss application of several penalties (a couple of times the only way I realized there was a penalty was by hearing the referee announce it in the background, then suddenly seeing it was 1st and 15)

* Todd Doxzon shows a lot of concern for player injuries, which is understandable as a former player; but I’m not sure we need to all pray that a guy with a cramp turns out okay

* Direction/camera work was pretty bad a couple of times; missed a few things particularly early in the game, but again understandable considering it was ESPN+ level. I especially remember one sequence where there was a break in action on the field, they showed everyone standing around while they talked about random things, then suddenly decided to do a promo for upcoming ESPN+ games with a half-screen graphic blocking most of the field right as the ball was snapped. Overall not terrible, and as I said, it looked really good on TV.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Not going into specifics, but using an external hard-wired device vs a built-in app will yield the same results.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

I started on ESPN app and then jumped to Hulu to do a quality check and Hulu was several seconds behind.

Reactions: beentherebefore

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Don't they use the home schools equipment for ESPN+ broadcasts? Or did I make that up in my head?

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Hulu is the best experience for ESPN+. I’ve found the Hulu app on my TV doesn’t handle live sports that well (buffering). If I run Hulu through my laptop to my TV, the picture looks awesome with no buffering.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yep, much better broadcast. We looked orange last season. Cameras were out of whack. I actually really like that broadcast team other than the UNI love fest in the 4th quarter. I know they were trying not to bury them while they were getting smoked, but it was a little over the top.

Color looked normal to me last year but I am color blind.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Watched replay using Hulu. No problems.

Anyone try and watch it live?

That's when things came crashing down in the past.