/dev/cycloneFanatic

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey fellow fanatics!

After a few years of working with software, I finally decided to learn to code. I am LOVING IT so far.
I was wondering who works as a developer or knows how to code?
What tools do you to use to code? What resources?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Python as the language
Visual Studio for the IDE since it has support for multiple languages.
I’m working on Amazon Web Services training so I can put things can be in the cloud. I recommend Python and AWS/Azure if you want a career in it

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
The closest I cone to coding is PowerShell scripting. I do manipulate variables, API object models and such, but I feel that it still doesn’t count as coding. I just use the PS ISE built-in to Windows for a development environment.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
C/C++ in Eclipse/VS Code, C# in Visual Studio for work.

Java in Android Studio for hobby but looking to learn Xamarin/C#/Visual Studio to go cross platform.

I also use Notepad++ for quick editing and searching all files for something.

Stackoverflow can answer most of your questions, it is the site that usually comes up when doing a Google search anyway.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Hey fellow fanatics!

After a few years of working with software, I finally decided to learn to code. I am LOVING IT so far.

You need a computer and a keyboard. Type some gibberish in, and boom, code!

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and aauummm

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I use Visual Studio Code, and I think it's really great -- it's not a full-fledged IDE, like regular Visual Studio -- it's a super capable text/code editor which can be extended. I use it for all sorts of stuff, often when I'm programming SQL, PHP, HTML or Javascript.

I've had a somewhat scattershot career in software.. programmed in C and (to a much lesser extent) C# at John Deere, SQL at a number of places, PHP at a startup, some javascript here and there, MATLAB in grad school (and John Deere), Unity (which is C#).... kinda all over the place.

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
Hey fellow fanatics!

I do a lot of embedded systems work. I work mostly in C and then MATLAB/Simulink. For anything outside of MATLAB/Simulink, I use Visual Studio Code. As others have said VS Code can pretty much do anything you need it to.

Other than the embedded systems, I have used Java, SQL, Javascript, and HTML (this is not coding). I am trying to decide which language to learn to make apps that can be easily put on iOS and Android.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to program?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I do a lot of embedded systems work. I work mostly in C and then MATLAB/Simulink. For anything outside of MATLAB/Simulink, I use Visual Studio Code. As others have said VS Code can pretty much do anything you need it to.

Other than the embedded systems, I have used Java, SQL, Javascript, and HTML (this is not coding). I am trying to decide which language to learn to make apps that can be easily put on iOS and Android.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to program?

I am not trying to program anything just yet. I am just trying to learn some languages so when ideas come to mind, I can build something quick to test.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not trying to program anything just yet. I am just trying to learn some languages so when ideas come to mind, I can build something quick to test.

giphy.gif

If you're not using the language to code anything, even for practice. You will not learn the language.

• Agree
Reactions: Skyh13 and DarkStar

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The closest I cone to coding is PowerShell scripting. I do manipulate variables, API object models and such, but I feel that it still doesn’t count as coding. I just use the PS ISE built-in to Windows for a development environment.

Powershell scripting is just as much coding as python IMO. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: Cy$

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
20-odd years of Java and html/javascript/ whatever trendy front-end framework is hot using IntelliJ IDEA. I love IntelliJ so much I pay for it myself. The company I work for wants me to use Eclipse and VSC. I can do everything, including git pull/pushes and some database work in IntelliJ. It is also Android Studio.

Reactions: Foosballa

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
20-odd years of Java and html/javascript/ whatever trendy front-end framework is hot using IntelliJ IDEA. I love IntelliJ so much I pay for it myself. The company I work for wants me to use Eclipse and VSC. I can do everything, including git pull/pushes and some database work in IntelliJ. It is also Android Studio.
I use Eclipse all the time but a company forcing you to use it over IntelliJ are idiots

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
But maybe that's why he's forced to use Eclipse because they don't want to pay licensing
He said he’s paying for IntelliJ. If he can use it with the company not having to charge I don’t see the issue.

Maybe this is a better convo for discord

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron