Destin, Fl

Hiltonmagk

Apr 11, 2006
Fort Madison, IA
So I'm taking the family down to Destin. This will be our first trip there, so I thought I'd see if any fanatics had any recommendations for things to do or places to eat. I'm going down with a large group with kids of all ages, but will have some adult time as well. We are planning on renting a boat for the day to cruise out to Crab island, but other than that and the beach we have no plans.

TIA

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Burrito Del Sol and get the fish of the day tacos. Awesome local place and reasonably priced. We hit that up several times both times we were down in Destin and gosh dang it I'm getting hungry for it again thinking about it.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
AJ's Seafood on the strip is a cool place...expect a bunch of people though all through that area. Burrito Del Sol is about a mile down the strip from AJ's...can vouch for that too. Sextons Seafood Market is almost next to Del Sol...they will ice pack shrimp for you to take back to Iowa...a bit pricy, but the only place to get Ruby Red Shrimp.

If you are only doing Crab Island via boat, get a pontoon boat...have coolers to put your beer/soda into and pack lunch fixings/chips/etc. Bring Frisbees, footballs, other rec devices. The Crab is the only place you will see crappy rusty pontoons mixed in with 50 foot yachts.

For activities, consider taking everyone on a 4-5 hour open party fishing boat...the Destiny Princess is a 65 foot catamaran where it costs about $60-$80 per person. They clean any fish you catch (nominal fee) and pack it for you. Even if you don't fish, it is a nice trip out into the gulf. Destinypartyboatfishing.com

Obviously, the beach is always available for exploring...and plenty of beach cabana bars for the adults in the evening.

Reactions: tigershoops31

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Where are you staying when you come to Destin?

Crab Island is fun but be prepared to get there early to be able to get in the middle. The closer you are in the middle equals less of a current (especially if you are taking kids) and closer to the water jump castles and trampolines for the kids. The farther out on the edges means more waves from all the boats and more water currents. I have seen many people, including kids, get swept away by the currents when not expecting it. If you have a pontoon, there are many great places along the beach you can beach it and go swimming and snorkeling also.

Harbor Walk is a lot of fun with a lot of places to eat (McGuire's Irish Pub, Jackacuda's, Crab Island Cantina, Harry T's, Margaritaville) and if you get there later in the day, you can see all the fishing charters coming back in with their daily catches. This is also where you can charter fishing boats or go out on dolphin cruises, pirate cruises or party cruises for the adults.

If you are willing to drive a little, there a many great places to see and do in between Destin and Panama City Beach. I would highly recommend going to The Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin, Seaside Beach (The Truman Show was filmed there), Grayton Beach and Rosemary Beach.

You can also find a lot of things to do by just driving down scenic Highway 98 and Highway 30a.

Have fun!

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
So I'm taking the family down to Destin. This will be our first trip there, so I thought I'd see if any fanatics had any recommendations for things to do or places to eat. I'm going down with a large group with kids of all ages, but will have some adult time as well. We are planning on renting a boat for the day to cruise out to Crab island, but other than that and the beach we have no plans.

TIA
LuLu's has good food and there is a small beach for the kids to play on....overlooks the water and reasonably priced.

The below stretch of beach between Navarre and Pensacola is nice if you have a car....not as crowded as the other areas around here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ational_Seashore-Pensacola_Beach_Florida.html

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The Backporch. All day. Every day. Orange open air building on Old Hwy 98 right on the beach. (get the smoked tuna dip. you can find a coupon for it for free in the stupid magazines up and down the beach). http://www.theback-porch.com/ourmenu/

Molly McGuires is a nice break too. And it's a brewery. Near the inlet bay bridge.

For breakfast go to the Donut Hole. Always busy but worth the wait.

But definitely Backporch.

Help Support Us

Become a patron