Des Moines Hotel Info

bird2431

Jan 22, 2013
Hey all,

been a while since ive been to Des Moines and I am trying to book our hotel for nationals. Everything downtown is full. It will be a drive from wherever we stay to the arena so we are looking for an area that has entertainment options for after we get back to the hotel. I am not real familiar with the surrounding areas so any help is appreciated. Where should I look and where should I avoid (shady areas or nothing to do).

Thanks!

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Anything out by Jordan Creek Mall in WDM would be fine. Lots of restaurant and bar options out there. Not as good as court ave downtown but you could do worse. There is a Marriott right off the interstate and a couple other options closer to the mall.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I stayed at Prairie Meadows new hotel last summer when I went to a convention in Des Moines. Was a bit of a drive from HyVee convention center but it was a good time anyway.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hey all,

been a while since ive been to Des Moines and I am trying to book our hotel for nationals. Everything downtown is full. It will be a drive from wherever we stay to the arena so we are looking for an area that has entertainment options for after we get back to the hotel. I am not real familiar with the surrounding areas so any help is appreciated. Where should I look and where should I avoid (shady areas or nothing to do).

Thanks!

Somewhere near jordan creek mall in west des moines sounds like where you'd want to be if you can't be downtown to be near court. There's a group of bars in west glen (the area just west of I35 and north of mills civic, and there's a hotel right in it if you want to walk to the bars) and there's also mavericks, a nice new sports bar just west of the mall with one of the area's best setups of tvs for watching games. Tons of restaurants of all kinds surrounding the mall area all along mills civic.

bird2431

Jan 22, 2013
looks like the jordan creek mall area is all booked up. Still searching, fingers crossed. Just so you know, I didnt choose to wait this long, I was told we had a room booked but was told yesterday that the guy who booked the room is not going and cancelled the room already...

H

HGPuck

I would try Altoona next then down by the airport. After that I would start looking in Ankeny.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Several good options at the NW 86th St exit off I-35/80 in Urbandale as well. Hilton Garden Inn and I think Mariott Suites north of the freeway, Holiday Inn Express and I think a Microtel south. Not a ton of entertainment options - Wynnsong 16 theater, Ruby Tuesday, Legends, Okoboji Bar & Grill, Texas Roadhouse and OverTime (local sports bar with decent food and TV's but ****** service). Proximity to 35/80 still makes it fairly easy to get to Jordan Creek or downtown though.

One exit farther on 35/80 is Merle Hay, there are several hotels right at the exit, including one that has an indoor waterpark I think (Ramada and Holiday Inn ?). Probably more restaurant options as you head down Merle Hay Rd, and there is Merle Hay Mall but it is the 2nd worst mall in the metro after Southridge.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Several good options at the NW 86th St exit off I-35/80 in Urbandale as well. Hilton Garden Inn and I think Mariott Suites north of the freeway, Holiday Inn Express and I think a Microtel south. Not a ton of entertainment options - Wynnsong 16 theater, Ruby Tuesday, Legends, Okoboji Bar & Grill, Texas Roadhouse and OverTime (local sports bar with decent food and TV's but ****** service). Proximity to 35/80 still makes it fairly easy to get to Jordan Creek or downtown though.

Yeah, looking online a bit it seems that area or the area with a ton of hotels around I35\80 and University ave\50th st are one of the few areas open. Not a ton of entertainment options on either, but either are short trips via drive or cab to them.

bird2431

Jan 22, 2013
The goal was to be able to walk to a bar from the hotel so nobody has to worry about driving back. That is looking like its not gonna happen though. Still searching the maps to try to find that type of place. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The goal was to be able to walk to a bar from the hotel so nobody has to worry about driving back. That is looking like its not gonna happen though. Still searching the maps to try to find that type of place. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

There's always taking a cab. The hotels that are open on university\35 would be just a couple mile cab ride to west glen bars

bird2431

Jan 22, 2013
Ended up booking a place around the university ave and 35/80 interchange. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron