Depth and focus

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Scrogg

Scroggins getting the medical waiver isn't a sure thing. We got two stud juco DT already. We got a Juco DE Justin Stewart that to my knowledge isn't playing this year. We got two stud hs linebackers coming next year plus I hear Sutton is a good player.

I would like to hear what the coaching staff thinks about the 2 JUCO OL we brought in this year. Are they high on them being able to play next year?

Or what about some of the other juniors and sophs on the roster? I've heard Will Windham's name mentioned a few times, but that's about it.

I like how this year's OL is coming along, but unfortunately we're going to lose most of them again and we'll be starting over again next year for the most part. This can't continue to happen. I realize it's Campbell's first year and it will take him some time to build up the depth, but it's a bit concerning that we don't see more OL commits IMO.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed about the depth. Staff is trying to get some guys plays off. I had to look a couple of numbers up yesterday that I hadn't seen before. 33 - Braxton Lewis and 46 - Spenser Benton.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You can dissect the game a 100 different ways, but the last two game came down to too many guys playing too many plays. The OL could no longer make holes when they were dominating the LOS, guys that were making tackles were missing them, there was zero pressure on the OSU QB in the later part of the third quarter and the 4th quarter. Everyone can see the progress, but everyone can also see that their is just not enough gas in the tank to finish the games.
No doubt lack of depth has a lot to do with the problems on D, but on offense I don't see it. Our offensive players aren't playing any more plays than any other team. When the offense goes from dominating for three quarters to a complete ineptitude it's gotta be mental. I think it will just take closing the deal once. The first step is getting to the point of being competitive week after week, so I'm excited by the progress.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agreed about the depth. Staff is trying to get some guys plays off. I had to look a couple of numbers up yesterday that I hadn't seen before. 33 - Braxton Lewis and 46 - Spenser Benton.

Depth certainly is an issue, however, I think the mental part is more of a factor.

At the very first signs that the momentum is changing late in these games, our guys fold because they've got this same feeling that we all do.... it's just inevitable that we're going to lose because that's what always happens.

That is what Campbell has to change. Hopefully this feeling that the veterans have doesn't spill over to the young guys like Jones, Montgomery, Kene, Bailey, etc, etc, etc.

That is the challenge for Campbell. He needs to change a mindset that has been in this program for years and years and years.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Lewis has been playing special teams all year and got some good snaps with Cotton-Moya out. He was a good HS player and a guy I was thinking would be really good on special teams this year, but turns out he has even earned PT on defense. Benton had a big spring and fall camp from what I hear and has also earned some reps.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
I think people are reaching for an explanation (depth, mental, etc) when a much clearer reason is very evident. I will do my best to simplify - I really like our coaching staff but the last 2 weeks come down to this: in 6 quarters (1-3 of both games), we have scored 73 points with our running backs touching the ball 53 times for 245 yds and 4 tds. In the other 2 quarters (4th quarter) our running backs have touched the ball 2 times for 8 yards and we have scored 0 points.

If we stick with what is working as opposed to going to all pass plays and QB runs, we win these games. This is easily correctable and I would expect our coaches to figure this out. There has been great improvement in all areas except 4th quarter play calling. Let's go beat Texas.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron