Demarion Watson Appreciation Thread

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Didn't see one for him like some of the other players have here so starting a thread. What a game by this young man last night! He's always been a guy we can count on when we need some good defense off the bench but he really put it all together last night it felt like. Was glad TJ found a moment to take him out and let the crowd give him a big standing ovation as he deserved it. Hoping this is only the start of some big things to come from him going forward. He's been a team player and done whatever has been asked of him in limited minutes and was really fun watching him provide a big spark for us last night.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Last night's first half was just ugly. The guys were playing hard, but the results weren't especially pleasing to the eye. Watson came in, grabbed the wheel, and pointed the boat in the same direction as the current. It made all the difference. Really glad for him and the recognition did not go unnoticed by his coach or the fans. A really inspiring outcome.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I feel like the guys playing that are a lot of minutes may have some tired legs. They play so hard every night out and it is late in the year, so that can happen. Normally when shots are not falling that is the case. I am so glad we have the depth this year to offset that. Watson, who does not have the cumulative minutes and wear and tear on this body came in and look GREAT. I always loved his hustle, defense, and rebounding. But when he shows some offense it just makes us more lethal. I hope he has the confidence now to be more assertive on that end of the floor. I'm a huge Watson fan and am so happy for him.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I posted this 3 weeks ago-
I like how TJ uses Pav, Watson for just spot minutes to save energy for the starters. But then when they are in, they both make winning plays.

He made a lot of winning plays last night!

Even in limited playing time, he was always ready to go and give great effort and quality minutes - even when it was only 4 or 5 minutes. Would be easy to check out, but he has always come in and made an impact. Speaks volumes about TJ's locker room culture and the character of all the guys in there.

Guys like that, people always say "we're gonna need him some game" and last night was that game, and he absolutely showed out. Well deserved!

TyCloneHoops

Dec 10, 2017
I can't ever recall a time I wasn't pleased with Demarion being out on the floor. I know it's been tough this year for him to get minutes with the squad we have but I really hope we can keep him here for another 2 years. He looks like Will Clyburn when he gets in his groove.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Most of the time you really aren’t sure if a statement like “Iowa State wouldn’t have won without x” is legit.

But I feel very confident saying, we would not have won without Watson last night.

• Agree
Reactions: Carol and NENick

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Frankly, like this whole team, he shows up and goes hard in the minutes he gets. I about fell out of my seat when he buried the 3. He has a chance for good minutes next year; I hope he puts his good work ethic to use in improving his shooting.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Couldn’t be more happy and proud of Demarion. He works extremely hard and always brings a positive attitude. As a result, he was up to the challenge when his number was called.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I love how he stays engaged and ready to go. It would be easy to give up while not seeing significant playing time all the while working your tail off in practice. It would be easy to hang your head and write the season off. It just makes you root for the guy that much harder.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
The bench won The game last night. DW was outstanding, ward actually stayed out of foul trouble when isu desperately needed a big to stay on the floor, Jones in double digits (again). Pav didn't get much time, but I'm not worried about him. He has had his spots.