Defense Optional League vs Bowl Opponents

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Said in another thread but ISU, Texas, KSU and TCU are 40% of our conference that played great D most of the season.

They're just as good as the top half of any other conference defensively. Are there 6-7 teams in the ACC, SEC or Big Ten playing much better D? No.

ISU and Texas big improvement on that side of the ball flips the league from 20% to 40% playing good D. Oklahoma can and will figure it out on that side, from time to time they dominated this year.
Oklahoma certainly has the dudes, but their scheme is questionable. Mike Stoops is a stubborn DC.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
With wins over all power 5 teams, including Miami, USC, Washington, and BC in the top bowls. Like I said, not debateable really.

If we are talking about P5 conferences not in the playoff, then yes; it’s not debatable that the B10 is better than the 1-8 P12.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Big ten proving to be by far the best conference this year.

When only about half of the conference is eligible in a 14 team league? It means the top half is maybe the best top half of any league, sure you could say that.

Only 57% of the BIG made a bowl game, the lowest by far of all power 5 conferences (SEC - 64%, ACC - 71%, Pac 12 - 75%, Big 12 - 80%).

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
The sec is proving to be garbage and didn't deserve 2 teams. You're saying that tOSU, PSU, or even uw didn't deserve to be in over Bama?

It is possible to have the SEC be down and still have 2 worthy teams. And it appears that is exactly what has happened here. No way OSU deserved to get in after being blown out twice to OU and Iowa. I think Wiscy had a better argument, except for the fact they lost the last game of the year. One-loss Bama deserved to be in imo.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
It is possible to have the SEC be down and still have 2 worthy teams. And it appears that is exactly what has happened here. No way OSU deserved to get in after being blown out twice to OU and Iowa. I think Wiscy had a better argument, except for the fact they lost the last game of the year. One-loss Bama deserved to be in imo.

Keep in mind that with two teams in the playoff, the SEC is playing up 1-2 levels in bowls. The league may be down, but they all moved up 1-2 levels of bowl competition; depending on how you want to count two teams in the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Ficklone02

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Its still impressive they have all gone undefeated. Have to at least tip the cap.

No question, they took full advantage of not having a team in the playoff and playing down in their bowls. With one game left they could run the table. Meanwhile, the P12 played down too and went 1-8; completely exposed.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The Big Ten is a fine football conference. It just has a major balance problem with the East/West divisions.

I mostly just get tired of the Big 12 receiving ZERO credit for another great bowl performance. The vast majority of the loudmouth CFB media absolutely do not watch Big 12 games and it's obvious. And why would they? They all played for Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Michigan, etc. Rece Davis is about the only guy that makes any argument for the Big 12. The rest of them just ignore it unless it's time to take jabs when it fits their narrative.

• Agree
Reactions: othercy

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
The Big Ten is a fine football conference. It just has a major balance problem with the East/West divisions.

I mostly just get tired of the Big 12 receiving ZERO credit for another great bowl performance. The vast majority of the loudmouth CFB media absolutely do not watch Big 12 games and it's obvious. And why would they? They all played for Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Michigan, etc. Rece Davis is about the only guy that makes any argument for the Big 12. The rest of them just ignore it unless it's time to take jabs when it fits their narrative.
Baker has been carrying around a sign that has "pretenders" written on it. Corso called OU that on gameday before the OSU game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Caution to the wind is OU tends to be a wild card on this kind of stage which would be red meat for the B1G homers.

The B1G's best are fine and a good football team is going to do well in any conference. However I can't say that anyone from the Big Ten has beaten another real good football team from another conference this bowl season. USC was never that good and even the pundits weren't always high on Miami, although it was impressive to see Wisconsin settle in and shut their fans up.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Caution to the wind is OU tends to be a wild card on this kind of stage which would be red meat for the B1G homers.

The B1G's best are fine and a good football team is going to do well in any conference. However I can't say that anyone from the Big Ten has beaten another real good football team from another conference this bowl season. USC was never that good and even the pundits weren't always high on Miami, although it was impressive to see Wisconsin settle in and shut their fans up.

This might worry me had Oklahoma not completely dominated the exact team Big 10 fans think should be in the playoff. On the road.