Decided to do a Jack Trice story for Smithsonian magazine

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Great job sharing the Trice story with the world @Kagavi . You personally are a big reason why this weekend's gameand tribute is going to happen.

I still want the once rumored motion picture to happen.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
William Spaulding was coach of the Minnesota Gophers in 1923. Two years after Trice’s death, Spaulding became head coach at UCLA. Towards the end of his career, he had the first African Americans ever to play football at Westwood. His players included Kenneth Washington. He would break the color barrier the NFL. A couple of years later, Jackie Robinson joined the team, a year after Spaulding retired as coach and became AD. You have to wonder what affect Trice’s death had on Spaulding. If Jack Trice didn’t play football, would Washington have ever played at UCLA? If Washington influenced Jackie Robinson to enroll, would Robinson ever play at UCLA if Trice didn’t play football? We will never know.

Last edited:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO

HopalongAtc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 22, 2015
Great job sharing the Trice story with the world @Kagavi . You personally are a big reason why this weekend's gameand tribute is going to happen.

I listened to the Murph & Andy podcast from yesterday’s show & Scott Siepker was on. He is the one that spearheaded the Niles Kinnick documentary. He said they have been working hard getting material together & most of that is done but he said the fundraising will have to pick up so they can finish the project. Even if it’s not a motion picture, at least it will be a great documentary. He also commented that it won’t be the “feel good story” that the Kinnick one was because of the subject matter. I know he did a great job with the Kinnick story so really hoping he can raise the $$$ to finish the project!

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Because of the Jack Trice focus this year, I hope we can go back to the Liberty Bowl so we can ask the National Civil Rights Museum to create an auxiliary exhibit about him again. Last time, I tried to get them interested in a permanent example about college sports, but settled for a table with a temporary exhibit at the entrance to their first gallery.
Living in VA, I would love to see something in African American History Museum in DC.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone and Nococy

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Great game and good broadcast on Fox Sports but near the end, when announcers started talking about Jack Trice, they tippy toed around his story and never really said what happened to him--no mention of how or why he died--I guess for fear of offending their white audience.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Great game and good broadcast on Fox Sports but near the end, when announcers started talking about Jack Trice, they tippy toed around his story and never really said what happened to him--no mention of how or why he died--I guess for fear of offending their white audience.
Lol. I am white and the jack trice story is offensive.
I think/hope what SwirlyBird was alluding to is that the Trice story is offensive, that it was a horrible thing and that racial hate and discrimination is a bad/offensive aspect of human behavior.

It is a part of our history, and should be brought to light. It's not something to sugarcoat. Only in this way can we learn about our past mistakes and hope to change.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Great article. Something else that’s fallen under the radar and I think the athletic department really needs to play up is 40 years ago, Nate Carr wrestled Kenny Monday for the national championship in Ames. I’ve done some checking, I could be wrong, but I believe that is the first time two African Americans wrestled for the national championship ranked AS no. 1 and no. 2.
Their sons faced off in the NCAA semifinals last season. That's incredible.

Reactions: Kinch

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com

I really appreciate the sentiment, but I'm simply another link in the Jack Trice memorial chain of people stretching back over 100+ years that have kept this story alive. So much work was already done before me. I'm merely the latest to build on it.

Hi, @Kagavi- I wrote a piece for Uni Watch about the aesthetic and uniform-related aspects of Iowa State's memorialization of Jack Trice:

I cited your work heavily in my story. I hope that's all right by you!

As mentioned, I'm a link in the chain. This is another link in the chain. Great job.

Living in VA, I would love to see something in African American History Museum in DC.

Reactions: BvK1126

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I listened to the Murph & Andy podcast from yesterday’s show & Scott Siepker was on. He is the one that spearheaded the Niles Kinnick documentary. He said they have been working hard getting material together & most of that is done but he said the fundraising will have to pick up so they can finish the project. Even if it’s not a motion picture, at least it will be a great documentary. He also commented that it won’t be the “feel good story” that the Kinnick one was because of the subject matter. I know he did a great job with the Kinnick story so really hoping he can raise the $$$ to finish the project!
Is there a GoFundMe to donate? Or are they looking for private investors

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
I decided to start doing some freelance work this year and did a piece for the Smithsonian about a portion of his life and includes a discussion of my items such as the photo and jersey, but I definitely didn't share all of my research and held back a bunch of things.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...r-a-college-stadium-bears-his-name-180982989/

It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive piece with a rote recitation. Mentioned some of the exclusives on my site, such as the Klan in Ames, and corrected the record on other things.

Ex: It's always been said that Jack Trice's wife Cora Mae never returned to Ames after Jack died. That's actually incorrect. She bravely tried to resume her education at ISU the following year but didn't graduate. I think that's a far more compelling rendition of her character and spirit.

Would also love if people linked other stories and stuff from this week about Jack. The more the better!
Tremendous Josh! Thanks much for sharing that.

All the amazing research and work you haves done over the years on the Jack Trice story is much appreciated!

Reactions: Kinch

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron