Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Tyrese had the best stats of any of the Clones in action last night but the Kings dropped another one to fall to 12-14. M. Bagley has missed their last two games. Tyrese got his 3rd career game of 20+ points and even off the bench, had the 2nd-most minutes (more than D. Fox). His line: 31 MIN, 22 PT, 9-14 FG, 3-6 3PT (one of them off the glass), 4 REB, 2 AST and 3 TO.

Monte's Nuggets got a big, 17-point win over the Lakers. With injuries to Gary Harris and Will Burton, Monte got the start and had this line: 30 MIN, 10 PT, 4-9 FG, 2-3 3PT, 0-3 FT, 3 REB, 3 AST, 1 BLK, 0 TO and +11. To start the 1st quarter, it seemed like the ball was always in Murray and Jokic's hands but he always finds ways to contribute.

Talen Horton-Tucker got in that game in the 1st quarter and got two quick buckets. As noted in other posts, he gets lots of praise. Good outing for THT in the loss: 25 MIN, 10 PT, 3-7 FG, 0-1 3PT, 4-6 FT, 0 REB, 5 AST, 1 BLK, 2 TO and -7.

Monte's childhood friend Kyle Kuzma almost outscored them both with 19 points. Noteworthy: Anthony Davis left with an injury and played only 14 minutes.

Nader seems to be back from his ankle injury but was not in the rotation for the Suns' back-to-back wins vs. Orlando. In both games he got mop-up minutes. Although this time, he went full-on Nader and went 2-2 for 4 points at the end of the game.

Stop me if you've heard this one - Nurse didn't put Matt Thomas in the Raptors' loss to the T'wolves. They shot the 3 badly; if only they had a proven, under-utilized 3-point shooter on the bench ....

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Updated assist-to-turnover stat leaders in the NBA. Tyus Jones has beaten Monte the last two years, I believe. Tyrese is #21.

1613386650211.png

Reactions: Snydes

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I read a little while back that besides defense, Matt’s usage rate is too low. Meaning he won’t take difficult shots and ends up leaving others with difficult shots.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In a Jazz mailbag in the Deseret News, Sarah Todd answered this question about Georges Niang (and a teammate):

Do you anticipate the jazz trying to reach an agreement with Oni for a contract extension, and do you think we'll be willing to spend enough to keep Niang after this season (especially if we manage to re-sign Conley)?

If the Jazz feel that Miye Oni and Georges Niang are going to continue to improve and help them over the next couple of years there’s no reason to not keep them under contract. The Jazz are going to be in a really tight or over the cap situation so retaining players that you already have on the payroll is the absolute best way to field talent that you already trust.

Despite how promising Oni and Niang have looked, I don’t think that there needs to be a concern about a bidding war on them because I think they’ll want to stay here so the Jazz can just take care of them in the offseason. That being said, I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are people around the league who have already taken note of both Oni and Niang. If I’m the Jazz, I make sure I can keep them around on small contracts. If I’m Oni or Niang and something bigger and better comes along, you’ve got to look out for No. 1.
Link: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021...eorges-niang-nba-second-half-schedule-celtics

It's interesting that this observer knows that Georges has caught some eyes and that the Jazz will probably want to retain him. One way or another, Georges should be able to get a bit of a raise and maybe some control with a player option in this next contract. He won't have a ton of leverage but he had little to none when he signed with the Jazz 3 years ago.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
After 3 games in the G League bubble, Wiggy is averaging 16 ppg. Alas, he´s only shooting 29% from 3 which won´t grab any attention from the NBA. Let´s hope he starts to drain them at a higher clip.

Naz has played a lot fewer minutes than Lindell in his 3 bubble games but is averaging almost 17 and shooting 50% from 3. I´m not so hopeful on him getting a sustained run in the NBA so I´m king of hoping he catches the eye of one of the BIG European clubs that play internationally and pay well.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and simply1

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
After 3 games in the G League bubble, Wiggy is averaging 16 ppg. Alas, he´s only shooting 29% from 3 which won´t grab any attention from the NBA. Let´s hope he starts to drain them at a higher clip.

Naz has played a lot fewer minutes than Lindell in his 3 bubble games but is averaging almost 17 and shooting 50% from 3. I´m not so hopeful on him getting a sustained run in the NBA so I´m king of hoping he catches the eye of one of the BIG European clubs that play internationally and pay well.

Agreed. It’s his dream, but I wish he’d just accept it and set himself up in Europe.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges Niang had 6 PT on 2-4 shooting in 15 minutes last night in a good Jazz win at Philly. (J. Clarkson went for 40 points in 29 minutes off the bench in that one).

Tyrese cooled off from his 20+ outing and the Kings dropped another one to the KD-less Nets. Hali had 10 points on 4-11 / 2-7 shooting in 30 minutes.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Differing stat lines but both played on teams that picked up a loss, for Mitrou-Long and Wigginton.

Wiggy had 6 PT on 2-10 / 0-8 shooting. Unfortunately, for the G leaguers, they don't have a big window to impress NBA and overseas teams and Lindell hasn't shot it well.

Naz, on the other hand, had an efficient game at the point for Ft. Wayne in the bubble. He had 20 PT with 8 AST with 7-15 / 2-5 shooting.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It was kind of an unusual night for playing time for our NBA guys. As noted, Monte missed the Nuggets' loss to Denver due to a right shoulder injury and others got in when they hadn't been seeing any minutes.

The Ice Man, thawed-out: The biggest surprise was Matt Thomas seeing the court in the 3rd quarter of the Raptors' best-win-of-the-season over the Matt's home state Bucks. Kyle Lowry hurt his ankle and that contributed to the opportunity. You may recall Matt had a big game vs. Milwaukee in the bubble as well. He played 6 minutes, missed his only shot (a 3) and had a -5. Some reactions:

The Lakers beat the T'wolves and THT played 10th-man minutes. Six total minutes played; he missed both his shots and was -8.

Nader hadn't had rotation minutes of late, with the bad ankle plus the return of D. Saric and C. Payne from injuries. But he was in during the 1st quarter in the Suns' loss to Brooklyn (which was missing Durant and Irving). The Suns' top minutes off the bench were only 13 so they relied heavily on their starters. Nader was 10th in minutes but managed 5 PT on 2-3 shooting in 9 minutes. The Suns were playing their 3rd game in 4 days so that may have been a factor in switching up the rotation.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt Thomas last night: "Sure, you bench me for 2 months and then I have to come out and stick Giannis?!"

1613600296832.png