CW talking ISU wrestling on Twitter

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Your expectations are incredibly low. We are talking about ISU wrestling and KJ's nearly 7 years on the job- thank goodness it hasn't been bad enough to prohibit cherry-picking.

I was asked what win should have generated discussion. I answered that question. VT was ranked #5, and had beaten ISU 32-3 earlier in the season. If a 31-point turnaround can't be considered a positive, then I don't know what is.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
I'm more of a casual fan. Mixed feelings about KJ. It seems like he's able to draw really promising talent to ISU.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I was asked what win should have generated discussion. I answered that question. VT was ranked #5, and had beaten ISU 32-3 earlier in the season. If a 31-point turnaround can't be considered a positive, then I don't know what is.
Come on, Tom.
You remember that GMac upset on the road against #5 KSU in Year 4? Imagine that taking three more years in a non-revenue sport with mostly true die-hards that can't stomach how pitiful the program has become. Self-preservation. Wrestling fans may be crazy, but they are not idiots, one upset in Year 7 is not enough to fool them into thinking the program was headed in a positive direction.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

The fact that we got beat 32-3 by Virginia TECH in the first place is the problem.

RUNx365

Mar 23, 2015
My boys and I had the chance to watch 3 duals this weekend. We watched the OU/ISU, Penn St/Illinois and OSU/ISU duals. After the match today my 12yo came up to me and asked if he had to be an ISU wrestling fan. He has no recollection of ISU having a good wrestling team. I told him he didn't have to cheer for ISU if he didn't want to. He said, "Oh good. They are terrible. I really only liked Kyven and he's gone now. I am going to cheer for Penn State now. They are much more fun to watch. Can I go to a Penn State camp this summer instead of ISU?" Looks like I'll be making a trip to State College this summer instead of Ames. At least he didn't choose to cheer for Iowa.

Honestly I can't blame him. It is embarrassing how far the program has fallen. I have tried to remain loyal, given money to the program, taken my kids to the camps, but I've had enough. I have no idea why they gave KJ an extension last spring. Pollard must really just not care. Jackson is the worst ISU coach in the last 60 years. NCAA finishes of 20th, 34th, 11th, 12th, 14th the last 5 years. That is the worst 2, 3, 4, and 5 year stretches since the 1950s. Looks like we'll extend it to worst 6 year stretch this year. We consistently get out recruited by UNI for instate recruits. The few top recruits we do get don't develop. They are just painful to watch.

Maybe I'll take this as my chance to exit, become a Penn State fan with my boys. Retherford, Nolf and Nickel are sure fun to watch. Loved seeing Nolf pin Martinez yesterday. Cael's undefeated record will stand for a few more years!

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010
My boys and I had the chance to watch 3 duals this weekend. We watched the OU/ISU, Penn St/Illinois and OSU/ISU duals. After the match today my 12yo came up to me and asked if he had to be an ISU wrestling fan. He has no recollection of ISU having a good wrestling team. I told him he didn't have to cheer for ISU if he didn't want to. He said, "Oh good. They are terrible. I really only liked Kyven and he's gone now. I am going to cheer for Penn State now. They are much more fun to watch. Can I go to a Penn State camp this summer instead of ISU?" Looks like I'll be making a trip to State College this summer instead of Ames. At least he didn't choose to cheer for Iowa.

Honestly I can't blame him. It is embarrassing how far the program has fallen. I have tried to remain loyal, given money to the program, taken my kids to the camps, but I've had enough. I have no idea why they gave KJ an extension last spring. Pollard must really just not care. Jackson is the worst ISU coach in the last 60 years. NCAA finishes of 20th, 34th, 11th, 12th, 14th the last 5 years. That is the worst 2, 3, 4, and 5 year stretches since the 1950s. Looks like we'll extend it to worst 6 year stretch this year. We consistently get out recruited by UNI for instate recruits. The few top recruits we do get don't develop. They are just painful to watch.

Maybe I'll take this as my chance to exit, become a Penn State fan with my boys. Retherford, Nolf and Nickel are sure fun to watch. Loved seeing Nolf pin Martinez yesterday. Cael's undefeated record will stand for a few more years!

Don't let the door hit ya on the way to Penn State.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Tough to blame the kid. I watched the Penn State Illinois dual today and said pretty much the same thing but unfortunately in this case I'm a dedicated Cyclone fan so I can't switch allegiances. Penn State is fun to watch...plain and simple. Cael moved on to a recruiting hot bed and to a program willing to commit itself to becoming elite and it's been a great marriage. All I can do is admire from a distance and wonder what could have been.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Come on, Tom.
You remember that GMac upset on the road against #5 KSU in Year 4? Imagine that taking three more years in a non-revenue sport with mostly true die-hards that can't stomach how pitiful the program has become. Self-preservation. Wrestling fans may be crazy, but they are not idiots, one upset in Year 7 is not enough to fool them into thinking the program was headed in a positive direction.

Who's Tom?

No, one positive doesn't equal a "positive direction." But to completely ignore that it happened while sharpening the axes and lying in wait for the next loss is kind of a **** move, regardless of what sport or what year it is.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
If there is ever a time to fire a coach during the season, now is the time. What has happened during KJ's tenure is negligence. How many times have ISU fans fallen for the peak in March routine?? Fool me for 6 yrs, shame on me...fool me for 7 yrs, shame on you.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Anyone who didn't understand that we weren't 29 points worse than VT in the first place was mistaken. But put both teams at full strength and VT is superior. BTW, VT was in a much worse position than us (similar instance but void of any wrestling tradition/support) when Brands left and now their program is easily a step ahead of ours. It can be done and they are proof.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm more of a casual fan. Mixed feelings about KJ. It seems like he's able to draw really promising talent to ISU.

There is some truth here but even then, his classes don't measure up to the elite programs.

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
Everyone can blame the "trolls" for ruining the other forum but the fact is apathy has set in. KJ is not the right guy and JP doesn't care enough. While I agree there are trolls who have been hoping for it since KJ first day the sunshine pumpers are just as bad when in year 7 this is still acceptable.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Is this all because of the losses to Oklahoma and OSU? I don't remember the meltdown, but wasn't there a much worse loss to ******* Hofstra of all teams in the national duals when Cael was still here? Or do the inexplicable losses in dual meets only matter right now?

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Here is my 2 cents and I've been a season ticket holder even when Cael was here. KJ has finally got a good recruiting class coming in. He has a very good staff but it has taken a long time to get here. KJ wasn't head coach material when he got here but is starting to. My one huge issue with KJ is the way that he actually runs the program. I've heard from someone close to the program that it's very common for him to miss practices, making the Paulson's run practices. Some of his decisions on who redshirts, who gets put on the mat, etc. I personally want someone else to run this program as I just don't believe KJ is the coach to lead us to where we need to be. With that being said, I will still support the program as I feel it's part of my duty as a true fan.

RUNx365

Mar 23, 2015
Is this all because of the loss to Oklahoma? I don't remember the meltdown, but wasn't there a much worse loss to ******* Hofstra of all teams in the national duals when Cael was still here? Or do the inexplicable losses in dual meets only matter right now?

ISU won the Big 12 every year Cael coached and finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd at nationals those three years. Easier to forget a bad loss when you actually show up at the end of the year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron