Craft Beer Sellouts

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a feeling that in the next year you'll be hearing about big names like Surly and TG also selling out. I actually wouldn't feel too bad about Surly. Besides Todd the Axeman($18/4pack), they haven't created anything special for a few years and their product is collecting dust in Iowa.

Thank god we have brewers like Pulpit Rock, Alluvial, and 515 in the state that haven't become too big and actually produce good beer.
I don't think Surly actually created Todd the Axeman. Wasn't it created by some European brewery because of Todd Haug?

JGWentworth

Mar 16, 2017

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I never blame the Brewers for selling out since it's their business and they can do with it what they want. With that said, the consumer also has choices.

Most successful breweries all hit a point where they either need to sell, make due with capped capacity, or risk millions on a brewery expansion project. It's hard to turn down the money...

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I have been on an Anti AB-Inbev crusade for a while. My friends sometimes look at me weird when I pull my phone out to see who owns the new bottle of beer I am looking to try out. While maybe not the best written article paste magazine had a few good points on why we should try to support the craft beer makers instead of the big corporations.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/the-straw-man-arguments-of-craft-beer-sell-outs.html

This is how I go about my decision process. Unless it's something like Bourbon County I will skip over any AB InBev offering in lieu of something not owned by them every time.. Especially when it comes to core beers, you can find something to drink that is identical or better for nearly every single AB InBev owned craft. Unfortunately it's the price point where AB InBev wins out with a lot of consumers, even craft consumers. You can easily tell the AB InBev brands because they are $3-$4 cheaper per six pack than many others. I've seen 4 pack tallboys of Goose 312 for $4.99. It's that kind of undermining and the fact they are gobbling up shelf space that's going to set the craft industry back.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I never blame the Brewers for selling out since it's their business and they can do with it what they want. With that said, the consumer also has choices.

I don't either, and I'm sure I'd be very willing to sell my (fictional) brewery for millions of dollars.

But I'll be damned if it doesn't take the wind out of my sails for certain breweries. It's a double edged sword as it usually does increase distro, but never increases beer quality.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Just heard that ratebeer.com has been bought out by AB. Whether you support them or not, here are a few others that have sold out.

10 Barrel Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Ballast Point Brewing — Constellation Brands

Blue Moon Brewing — MillerCoors

Blue Point Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Breckenridge Brewery — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Devils Backbone Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Elysian Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Founders Brewing — 30 percent owned by Mahou-San Miguel

Four Peaks Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Golden Road Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Goose Island Beer Company — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Hop Valley Brewing — MillerCoors

Kona Brewing — 32 percent owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev

Lagunitas Brewing — 50 percent owned by Heineken International

Leinenkugel's Brewery — MillerCoors

Magic Hat Brewing — North American Breweries

Redhook Brewery — 32 percent owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev

Revolver Brewing — MillerCoors

Saint Archer Brewing — MillerCoors

Shock Top Brewing — Anheuser-Busch InBev

Terrapin Beer Company — MillerCoors

Wicked Weed Brewing - Anheuser-Busch

Widmer Brewing — 32 percent owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev
The thing about craft beers now a days is that everyone wants to have a foot in the door. Hence MillerCoor/Heineken/Anheuser-Busch buying large portions of these successful craft breweries and then distributing their beers national. The true-to-the-craft-brew-name breweries are the ones who only sell within their state or distribute to only immediately surrounding states. If you want a true feel of craft breweries go to NorthEast Minneapolis/St. Paul or River North area in Denver, IMO. Obviously there are other great craft breweries around the country and other cities, but it seems like those are the most densely populated with local craft breweries.

• Winner
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The thing about craft beers now a days is that everyone wants to have a foot in the door. Hence MillerCoor/Heineken/Anheuser-Busch buying large portions of these successful craft breweries and then distributing their beers national. The true-to-the-craft-brew-name breweries are the ones who only sell within their state or distribute to only immediately surrounding states. If you want a true feel of craft breweries go to NorthEast Minneapolis/St. Paul or River North area in Denver, IMO. Obviously there are other great craft breweries around the country and other cities, but it seems like those are the most densely populated with local craft breweries.
The Twin Cities have some pretty killer craft breweries IMO.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The Twin Cities have some pretty killer craft breweries IMO.
Yeah, I moved up here last year and my girlfriend and I try to hit a new brewery every weekend. Its amazing that they just keep popping up and it only makes the craft beer market more popular. It is a really cool trend to this city that I hope doesn't go away any time soon, and I don't think it will.
It is pretty amazing though, SURLY, probably the most main-stream of the Twin Cities craft breweries (other than summit) is going through all sorts of changes because of turmoil within their company. Apparently the whole thing started because the owner wanted to continue to expand nationally and start making a more selective beer list, where as the head brewers were not having it and wanted to keep experimenting. Long story short most of their head brewers left, then their chef just left, and now they are reducing their tap room to solely that, with no food. Where as every other small named brewery around them is thriving. Very interesting to see.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I moved up here last year and my girlfriend and I try to hit a new brewery every weekend. Its amazing that they just keep popping up and it only makes the craft beer market more popular. It is a really cool trend to this city that I hope doesn't go away any time soon, and I don't think it will.
It is pretty amazing though, SURLY, probably the most main-stream of the Twin Cities craft breweries (other than summit) is going through all sorts of changes because of turmoil within their company. Apparently the whole thing started because the owner wanted to continue to expand nationally and start making a more selective beer list, where as the head brewers were not having it and wanted to keep experimenting. Long story short most of their head brewers left, then their chef just left, and now they are reducing their tap room to solely that, with no food. Where as every other small named brewery around them is thriving. Very interesting to see.

Have you hit Dangerous Man, yet? I love that one. Just a really cool place.

• Winner

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015

Their chef leaving was more to do with the decline in demand for fine dining, not the beer.

http://www.startribune.com/surly-to-close-brewer-s-table-adding-to-fine-dining-casualties/425387733/

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah it is awesome. There are two new ones opening up this summer within a few minute walk of where I live. Honestly, well I like Surlys beer, I haven't been to the brewery in awhile. Always overcrowded and not near as cool of an atmosphere as some of the other breweries around here. Will be interesting to see how they do. If you like craft beer I would recommend the Beer Dabbler. There is a summer and winter one. It's a great time.

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My favorite brewery! Fantastic beer and an awesome atmosphere.

Yeah, it's a great place. A couple year ago, some friends and I did a walking tour of some of the breweries up in that neighborhood. Dangerous Man, Fulton, Indeed, etc. We probably spent the most time at Dangerous Man, just because it was such a cool atmosphere. The long tables really lend to talking to other patrons, and you end up getting to know a lot of people. Minneapolis is a great town for craft beer fans.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Their chef leaving was more to do with the decline in demand for fine dining, not the beer.

http://www.startribune.com/surly-to-close-brewer-s-table-adding-to-fine-dining-casualties/425387733/
I read that article. And idk. Every time I walked into Surly whether it is a weekend afternoon or week night, whatever, their tables were packed with like a 30 minute waiting list.

That could have had something to do with it, but I think the crappy relationships going on up at the top (which started when they got huge in MN and started expanding, eventually pushing Todd the Axeman out because of said relationships) and they have had continual stories/problems coming out since then with more brewers leaving and things like that. Don't get me wrong, Surly isn't going anywhere and they'll be just fine overall, but there has been lots of problems recently. It is a great move for their beer, i think, but it still isn't a great look.

Reactions: FatNTired

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah it is awesome. There are two new ones opening up this summer within a few minute walk of where I live. Honestly, well I like Surlys beer, I haven't been to the brewery in awhile. Always overcrowded and not near as cool of an atmosphere as some of the other breweries around here. Will be interesting to see how they do. If you like craft beer I would recommend the Beer Dabbler. There is a summer and winter one. It's a great time.
You live in St. Paul? I'm pumped for 12eyes.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah, it's a great place. A couple year ago, some friends and I did a walking tour of some of the breweries up in that neighborhood. Dangerous Man, Fulton, Indeed, etc. We probably spent the most time at Dangerous Man, just because it was such a cool atmosphere. The long tables really lend to talking to other patrons, and you end up getting to know a lot of people. Minneapolis is a great town for craft beer fans.
Yeah that's whole area is awesome. Bauhaus is another good one. Especially in the summer.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
You live in St. Paul? I'm pumped for 12eyes.
Yup. Same! It's literally across the street from me. I can take a skyway over to that building so I won't even have to go outside. I will probably spend way too much time there

Reactions: srjclone