Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Going to a bowl at 5-7 means ISU only wins 2 more games, and probably ensures that no coaching changes would be made.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Going to a bowl at 5-7 means ISU only wins 2 more games, and probably ensures that no coaching changes would be made.

This is my biggest fear. I cannot believe that our standards have dropped to "almost beating Texas shows that everything is fine, actually."

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This is my biggest fear. I cannot believe that our standards have dropped to "almost beating Texas shows that everything is fine, actually."

What standards are you talking about? I don’t think anyone is especially happy about where things are. Doesn’t change reality.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
At 6-6 not sure I would go to a bowl game this year so no way I would at 5-7. I already think we have too many bowl games where .500 is celebrated so a losing record is like getting the participation ribbon.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
McMurphy is predicting bowls in Annapolis (at Navy’s stadium), Tampa, and the famous Detroit bowl vs the MAC champion will be filled with 5-7 teams. It would be fitting for Campbell to play Toledo as a 5-7 Iowa State on the Lions’ field I guess.

• Haha
  • Dumb
Reactions: CapnCy and nfrine

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
Of course, I hope we finish 8-4, blah blah blah. But we should consider the real possibility that Iowa State will get a bowl invitation at 5-7.

Brett McMurphy's bowl projections currently anticipate that five 5-7 teams will be needed to fill the ever-growing number of bowl games. The NCAA typically allows 5-7 teams to participate based on academic progress rate (APR). Only the highest APRs of the 5-7 teams are eligible, so if McMurphy is correct, you would expect the five best APRs of the 5-7 teams to be in bowl games.

Iowa State's APR... is good! It's tied for 17th among the 131 FBS football programs this year. And most of the schools ahead of ISU are either definitely going to be bowling (Clemson, Ohio State) or definitely not bowling (Northwestern, Temple).

Meanwhile, 5-7 might be the most likely outcome for ISU's season, and if we lose to OU, it almost certainly will become a heavy favorite in analytical models for the most likely finish.

What would you think about Iowa State filling in a minor bowl, likely on behalf of a G5 league that could not fulfill its bowl obligations, as a 5-7 team?
Get real. With all the close games that have been pissed away already. We get to 5 wins its time to pack it in. On to next season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think it just gives younger players more reps in the system.
More coaching for the young guys.
I understand the concept ... internal roster-building and "real-game" experience ... but to me, that's a "bonus" if it occurs. I don't remember fans talking about extra practice as a major advantage of a low-level bowl bid until the past decade or so.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
First off, four losses by a total of 14 points, to me, is pretty incredible considering our youth. Second, this is where 'fans' define themselves. And, third, it's often spoken about that having an extra game at the end of the year is an opportunity for a whole lot more practices. So, a bowl game would be a big boon and IF the fans show up, it'll continue to support the narrative of "win or lose" Iowa State fans support their teams.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Back when invites were handed out 2-3 weeks before the end of the season.

If the bowls had been forced to wait until the regular season was over, that team would have stayed home.
And that was one heckuva team. Willie Jones’ kickoff return in the bowl was epic.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Honestly....
I'd gripe about it online. ***** and moan to my friends and co-workers.

Then.....

Sure enough, I would tune into the game and yell for a win like I always do.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron