Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
My post office has like 5-6 people, so we could hire more! Also, several pharmacies will deliver, along with groceries will deliver or you order and just drive through and they throw it in your trunk. I think you could get rid of the postal people for a month with no trouble. Save the government a lot of money also.
So how are they going to save a ton of money by shutting down for a month?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Even if the prefunding didn’t happen the USPS would still be in trouble as of today. The USPS gives great union jobs, but it’s a dying business regardless and it’s ran like crap. Just ask any employee. There’s no respect for the top managers/executives.

It's a public service, not a business.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Who here can deny that the number of cases/deaths would have been considerably lower if Reynolds had ordered SIP right away? There are many examples in the U.S. and other countries that the sooner strict controls were taken the fewer the cases. I had stated on a previous thread that Jeremy abolished (due to too much political critique) that it would have been a lot better to have short term pain for long term gain. So why is anyone giving her a pass on this? She's been pathetic as I posted earlier.

I also posted somewhere when I was questioned about my opinion that a therapeutic drug would become available in the next few months and that would greatly help in dealing with the cases. So the curve would be flattened over a longer period of time but by then a drug would aid in greatly reducing at least the number of deaths by effective treatments.

Well, it looks like Gilead announced this afternoon that a drug called Remdesivir has had great success in the 3rd phase trial of effectively treating coronavirus patients. Because of this, the stock market futures are going through the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: riceville98

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
the disdain you hold these people with is very evident
No disdain for them. Just believe it is a business that has served its purpose. With email and wire transfers, and other methods out there; there isn't much of a need for the service. I won't miss the political cards, the advertising magazines and other junk mail that now makes up 75% of the mail.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Who here can deny that the number of cases/deaths would have been considerably lower if Reynolds had ordered SIP right away? There are many examples in the U.S. and other countries that the sooner strict controls were taken the fewer the cases. I had stated on a previous thread that Jeremy abolished (due to too much political critique) that it would have been a lot better to have short term pain for long term gain. So why is anyone giving her a pass on this? She's been pathetic as I posted earlier.

I also posted somewhere when I was questioned about my opinion that a therapeutic drug would become available in the next few months and that would greatly help in dealing with the cases. So the curve would be flattened over a longer period of time but by then a drug would aid in greatly reducing at least the number of deaths by effective treatments.

Well, it looks like Gilead announced this afternoon that a drug called Remdesivir has had great success in the 3rd phase trial of effectively treating coronavirus patients. Because of this, the stock market futures are going through the roof.
The issue is that until there is a vaccine you can’t stop it. The idea is to thread the needle by not overwhelming hospitals. Yeah there may not have been as many sick at this point we’d be further from reopening. We’d also have done more damage than we already have to the economy.

There is no realistic scenario where less people get the disease. It’s about spreading the infections out to better treat them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Any mention of a miracle drug needs to come with a prereq that that same drug will still be readily available and accessible for people that need it for previous conditions.

My main issue with Iowa has been that creating regions and 10 point plans can lead to a gopher game and also leads to people that aren't 'scoring' high on that thing, being given the impression that they're in the clear.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Any mention of a miracle drug needs to come with a prereq that that same drug will still be readily available and accessible for people that need it for previous conditions.

It's a drug developed for people with Ebola so hopefully we're good there.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I will argue that we basically have been SIP without the official order in Iowa. We have surrounding states with a SIP order that have less restrictions than we have in place. I get the argument that a SIP order is enforceable by law but I also think such an order could bring out the worst in some people because it would not only stretch our law enforcement thinner but you then invite the crazies to defy the order in the process too. Bottom line is we have become irresponsible as a society that people can't just use common sense right now. Don't go out unless you have to make a run to the store and use common sense social distancing practices. I have friends in MN and IL and they feel their SIP orders are mostly being ignored. Iowa is 34th in the US for total cases and a bulk of those infections are in concentrated areas. We are not the same as IL who has over 10 times the infections despite sharing a border with them. Missouri has over twice as many cases too.

I still have to report to the office for an essential business as I do IT support and I still have to do some face to face interaction with people whose job roles can't be replicated in a work from home environment. I do a lot more remote and over the support than usual but I don't feel unsafe reporting to work because I work in a secure room by myself and any face to face interaction I do have everyone has been very good about distancing and disinfecting surfaces. My company has been very transparent as there have been 3 people in my building with confirmed cases of COVID19 but it's been over 3 weeks now since any of them were last in the office. I am not scared to come into the office, it's as clean as I have ever seen it as they have done multiple deep cleanings recently.

This virus sucks and I hate that people are politicizing it. The virus doesn't give a damn what your political affiliation is and it doesn't matter what measures were put in place when, we all play a role in limiting the spread and exposure by using some common sense practices.

Reactions: jkbuff98

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
The issue is that until there is a vaccine you can’t stop it. The idea is to thread the needle by not overwhelming hospitals. Yeah there may not have been as many sick at this point we’d be further from reopening. We’d also have done more damage than we already have to the economy.

There is no realistic scenario where less people get the disease. It’s about spreading the infections out to better treat them.
I strongly disagree. Why do you say there is no realistic scenario where fewer people would get the disease? Doesn't it make sense to have social distancing and SIP as soon as there was a hint of the virus? If a state were to close everything but very essential services down immediately, isn't it logical that the number of cases and deaths would be considerably lower? Of course it is very logical. How can you deny that? You say that it would just be spread out and no way of avoiding the cases and deaths. Really? What about effective drugs that would greatly reduce the number of deaths. I also believe that the number of cases would be greatly reduced by not venturing out to restaurants, movie theaters, or large gatherings in general.

What about South Korea? How many cases and deaths have they had even though that religious cult spread it rapidly? They acted immediately with SIP along with great testing.

I believe Ohio and CA have also done a great job. New York City got out of control because they were a little late and also due to the great density of the population. Italy was very late to respond and so was the UK. Now I hear that the UK could be the hotspot of Europe. Our nation in general has been very late to respond mostly thanks to you know who. It's a good thing a lot of governors took action on their own. Reynolds could have done a much better job. Make it official and ORDER people to SIP. Some states have been later than others. Governor Cuomo warned the Midwest States could become the new New York.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
This virus sucks and I hate that people are politicizing it. The virus doesn't give a damn what your political affiliation is and it doesn't matter what measures were put in place when, we all play a role in limiting the spread and exposure by using some common sense practices.
It's impossible to totally not politicize this topic in my opinion.

Yes, this virus sucks and I understand where you're coming from. But I maintain that a strict order to SIP would be much more effective than what Reynolds has done. Arrest people if they don't follow the order. By the way, SIP does not mean that you cannot go out for a walk or a jog near your home.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I strongly disagree. Why do you say there is no realistic scenario where fewer people would get the disease? Doesn't it make sense to have social distancing and SIP as soon as there was a hint of the virus? If a state were to close everything but very essential services down immediately, isn't it logical that the number of cases and deaths would be considerably lower? Of course it is very logical. How can you deny that? You say that it would just be spread out and no way of avoiding the cases and deaths. Really? What about effective drugs that would greatly reduce the number of deaths. I also believe that the number of cases would be greatly reduced by not venturing out to restaurants, movie theaters, or large gatherings in general.

What about South Korea? How many cases and deaths have they had even though that religious cult spread it rapidly? They acted immediately with SIP along with great testing.

I believe Ohio and CA have also done a great job. New York City got out of control because they were a little late and also due to the great density of the population. Italy was very late to respond and so was the UK. Now I hear that the UK could be the hotspot of Europe. Our nation in general has been very late to respond mostly thanks to you know who. It's a good thing a lot of governors took action on their own. Reynolds could have done a much better job. Make it official and ORDER people to SIP. Some states have been later than others. Governor Cuomo warned the Midwest States could become the new New York.

My guess is he’s insulated from any risk.

the people in my life that parrot those lines aren’t people that have to worry about exposure, but are upset at the inconvenience of being forced to stay home.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That's understandable, but preventing deaths comes down to:
1. Drawing out the spread long enough to ensure hospitals don't get overwhelmed. In Iowa this is happening. There is capacity for people to get all the care they need in a hospital. Sadly for some that is not enough.
2. Keeping the general public from being exposed to the virus. Simply not feasible. This was never the goal. Social distancing, SIP, masks etc. are simply to accomplish goal #1.
3. Keeping spread for at-risk people. This requires long-term care facilities and the people/families themselves to be on really tight lockdown. They still have to have workers, doctors, deliveries, etc. to these facilities, so these types of concentrated outbreaks are going to happen from time to time no matter how well these facilities lock things down. I'm sure there are plenty these places could have done better or sooner, but I don't have any specific knowledge.

Sorry, but there are things we all do in everyday life that is based on "acceptable" number of deaths. If the speed limit on every road was 25 mph, lives would be saved. If added sugar, transfats and alcohol were outlawed lives would be saved.

So, are the steps being taken to slow the spread doing "everything possible?" Of course not. Nor do we do everything possible in many facets of daily lives when we KNOW doing those things would save lives.

What we are doing in Iowa and almost every state is slowing the spread to make sure we have ICU and vent capacity.

So far it is a success

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
It's impossible to totally not politicize this topic in my opinion.

Yes, this virus sucks and I understand where you're coming from. But I maintain that a strict order to SIP would be much more effective than what Reynolds has done. Arrest people if they don't follow the order. By the way, SIP does not mean that you cannot go out for a walk or a jog near your home.
Hey Fred Hubbell let it go that you lost to her.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Hey Fred Hubbell let it go that you lost to her.
That's a dumb reply by you. It has zero to do about Fred Hubbell. Hell, I had forgotten that he even ran against her. I'm stating the fact that she has NOT been proactive and that has nothing at all to do with politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.