Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Today I learned that reminding people that Canada is different than the USA in both real and cultural terms is the same as minimizing their efforts to control the virus.

This thread is broke.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
As a reference point, here are the Minnesota SIP rules for leaving your home...
  1. Relocation for safety purposes. This pertains to people at risk of domestic assault.
  2. In search of medical services. People can seek emergency aid, visit a medical or dental professional, donate blood or see a veterinarian.
  3. Getting outside. The outdoors is fair game for walkers, hikers, cyclists, folks driving for pleasure, hunting or fishing.
  4. Shopping for necessities. People may go grocery shopping, buy gas, pick up restaurant orders and supplies to work from home.
  5. Essential travel. Travel is allowed for work and the exempted activities listed. It's allowed if needed to return to your residence.
  6. Care for others. Parents with joint custody can transport their children, and people can move to care for a family member, pet or friend in another household.
  7. Homeless people are exempt from the requirements here.
  8. Tribal lands are exempt as well.
How far off is Nebraska or Iowa from these rules? Or is all of the issue simply that some employers need the official SIP designation to push folks home? It just seems like both the Iowa and Nebraska govs could make the SIP call without causing a big change in how people are living right now.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Did Reynolds ever actually answer what the downfalls are to SIP? She mentioned mental and physical well being, which I'm not sure how that ties into it.

The way she dances around the question leads me to believe there is financial gain by not doing it. Some businesses would be allowed to function until SIP is in place, but it cannot be a substantial amount, especially when she is touting that it "basically is in place"

I obviously have no clue if that's true or not but that's the message she is portraying

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The other interesting discussion point is how long do we stay in SIP? I know that we are doing the at home thing to flatten the curve and reduce the stress on the medical system, but at what point can you come out? Let's say an effective SIP might protect 75% of your population from getting COVID...your case numbers drop single digits or maybe even zero. You release some of the restrictions and then you start seeing cases mount. Do you lock down again or simply let it go at that point? How long can your economy stand a lock down...3 months? 6 months? a year? Tough questions...

Heck, we can't even reach consensus on SIP...

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Today I learned that reminding people that Canada is different than the USA in both real and cultural terms is the same as minimizing their efforts to control the virus.

This thread is broke.
Did anyone say this? (If in response to me my point was Mostly just a comment about Canada’s density. And that their policies must be working. If not then carryon.)

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
As a reference point, here are the Minnesota SIP rules for leaving your home...
  1. Relocation for safety purposes. This pertains to people at risk of domestic assault.
  2. In search of medical services. People can seek emergency aid, visit a medical or dental professional, donate blood or see a veterinarian.
  3. Getting outside. The outdoors is fair game for walkers, hikers, cyclists, folks driving for pleasure, hunting or fishing.
  4. Shopping for necessities. People may go grocery shopping, buy gas, pick up restaurant orders and supplies to work from home.
  5. Essential travel. Travel is allowed for work and the exempted activities listed. It's allowed if needed to return to your residence.
  6. Care for others. Parents with joint custody can transport their children, and people can move to care for a family member, pet or friend in another household.
  7. Homeless people are exempt from the requirements here.
  8. Tribal lands are exempt as well.
How far off is Nebraska or Iowa from these rules? Or is all of the issue simply that some employers need the official SIP designation to push folks home? It just seems like both the Iowa and Nebraska govs could make the SIP call without causing a big change in how people are living right now.

Pretty much the same here in Iowa which is why it is just semantics

Reactions: wintersmd

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

This thread is broke.

My biggest question in bringing up Canada is what are they doing that’s different?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Pretty much the same here in Iowa which is why it is just semantics
That's the dumb thing about it. We practically have a "shelter in place" similar to a lot of states but she hasn't exactly called it that. The problem now is when (if) she even orders a shelter in place, not a whole lot changes from mandates Reynolds has already ordered except maybe people will take it more seriously. I don't see Kim calling a shelter in place for that reason and because if she does it now it makes it look like she only did it because she was pressured to do so which makes her look even worse.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
US ordered 10-20k ventilators in 2008. Now Cuomo said NY ordered 17,000. Not sure when. None of these ever came from China. Hopefully, this shows that sometimes paying 10-20% more is beneficial in the long run so you have ability to provide for yourself.

Reactions: dafarmer

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
That's the dumb thing about it. We practically have a "shelter in place" similar to a lot of states but she hasn't exactly called it that. The problem now is when (if) she even orders a shelter in place, not a whole lot changes from mandates Reynolds has already ordered except maybe people will take it more seriously. I don't see Kim calling a shelter in place for that reason and because if she does it now it makes it look like she only did it because she was pressured to do so which makes her look even worse.
I think the wFH group have way too much time in their hands worrying about the SIP. If they actually spent time WFH rather than trolling the web and getting some productive work done for their company it would be better off.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
If it's all the same ****, we aren't we doing it?

I just don't understand that. There's no benefit to not doing it, if it's the same at the end of the day.
Within that same logic if it is the same at the end of the day then there is no benefit to doing it

Reactions: Acylum

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Within that same logic if it is the same at the end of the day then there is no benefit to doing it
The benefit of doing it is increased national optics and a perception of being proactive instead of reactive, not waiting until it's too late to act. As well as a slim possibility that a few more not-really-"essential" businesses would close or go WFH or send people home (and thus those people would be eligible for the better COVID-related unemployment benefits...which, they currently aren't now), and/or that a few more people may see the action by the State as a sign of seriousness and just make that many fewer unneeded trips out in public and be more conscious of spacing. Every little bit helps.

The benefit of not doing it is....what, exactly?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wonder if NY is having trouble because they don’t call theirs a SIP, they call theirs a Pause. Maybe somebody should tell them to change their Pause to SIP and it will help.

Reactions: h-man64 and Acylum

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I wonder if NY is having trouble because they don’t call theirs a SIP, they call theirs a Pause. Maybe somebody should tell them to change their Pause to SIP and it will help.
Reverse psychology strat, just tell the virus everyone wants to die. Then it will get bored and go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.