Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
#Everyone needs to stay the F home..

2 weeks...Everything closes accept healthcare businesses and Pharmacies...Period.

2 weeks..Mandatory lock it the F down. I'd say the vast majority of people have the food and water right to last at elast a week if they tried...

I would set some date of say March 23rd..People have a week to prep..But starting March 23rd entire Freaking country goes into mandatory lock down. If you are sick with symptoms like COVID Military/FEMA etc..will come to yoru home and get you tested.

You can only leave if its a life or death emergency. Deploy the military and guard/reserves in the big cities and everywhere and lock it down.

Yes this is extreme..Wanna slow down COVID by a factor of 10...then do what ITaly, SK, China and others are doing.
I’m down

• Disagree
Reactions: sadam

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
you see all these reports on Reditt and other places of people complaining that they are really sick and go in and are denied a test...Why are you going into a clinic exposing others? Lets say u get a test and you are positive..what is that going to change? Nothing. You aren't going to be given a RX or anything. If you are sick..Fever..cough..headache, sore throat etc..STAY THE F HOME!! Quarantine yourself for 14 days. Only reason people should be leaving their home when sick is if they are so sick they need to go to the ER.

Was reading on Reditt some guy wrote this big long thing about how he was denied a test recently afer being sick for 2 days with a fever of 102..102 sucks but it isn't terrible. If you have a fever for more than a day for say 103.5 or more and it wont come down after a day then sure. What is going into a clinic going to do for you? Getting a test for COVID should not change a thing..You should be quarantine for X amount of days whether you have it or not.

we need testing to track illness. See South Korea. They did wide spread testing and that has helped them. But I do get your point that we all need to stay home.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
#Everyone needs to stay the F home..

2 weeks...Everything closes accept healthcare businesses and Pharmacies...Period.

2 weeks..Mandatory lock it the F down. I'd say the vast majority of people have the food and water right to last at elast a week if they tried...

I would set some date of say March 23rd..People have a week to prep..But starting March 23rd entire Freaking country goes into mandatory lock down. If you are sick with symptoms like COVID Military/FEMA etc..will come to yoru home and get you tested.

You can only leave if its a life or death emergency. Deploy the military and guard/reserves in the big cities and everywhere and lock it down.

Yes this is extreme..Wanna slow down COVID by a factor of 10...then do what ITaly, SK, China and others are doing.
Shut down grocery stores, food producers, power plants, water treatment facilities for two weeks? There are a ton of jobs essential to society beyond healthcare and pharmacies.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Shut down grocery stores, food producers, power plants, water treatment facilities for two weeks? There are a ton of jobs essential to society beyond healthcare and pharmacies.
I will say some employers need to be more lenient on their attendance policy during this time. If people even feel a little sick, they need to stay home without being written up.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Would highly advise avoiding church tomorrow and the next few weeks. Several cases in our town from church. Or at least be damn careful. This is in many of your communities right now and you just don't know it yet.
I’m on it

• Funny
Reactions: Cyientist

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
you see all these reports on Reditt and other places of people complaining that they are really sick and go in and are denied a test...Why are you going into a clinic exposing others? Lets say u get a test and you are positive..what is that going to change? Nothing. You aren't going to be given a RX or anything. If you are sick..Fever..cough..headache, sore throat etc..STAY THE F HOME!! Quarantine yourself for 14 days. Only reason people should be leaving their home when sick is if they are so sick they need to go to the ER.

Was reading on Reditt some guy wrote this big long thing about how he was denied a test recently afer being sick for 2 days with a fever of 102..102 sucks but it isn't terrible. If you have a fever for more than a day for say 103.5 or more and it wont come down after a day then sure. What is going into a clinic going to do for you? Getting a test for COVID should not change a thing..You should be quarantine for X amount of days whether you have it or not.

Two things.

The individual level - maybe their work requires proof after 2 sick days or is otherwise being an ass at this time and threatening a firing/no pay. I found out yesterday my short term disability specifically covers quarantines meaning I would get at least some pay should I need to go into quarantine. Do you think they pay that out if I don't have medical proof? My guess is no. Additionally, if they are positive and getting worse, the treatment plan is likely different than the flu or whatever else and any medical pro will tell you they'd rather know sooner rather than later what they're dealing with.

The bigger picture - the more people that we can ID as positive the more we can track the spread and respond to it. It tells us who it's infecting, how they're transmitting it, and actions to take. Do you think the NBA would have shut down without those positive tests on the two players? Look at South Korea. They are testing thousands a DAY and life for most is normal there because they are able to quickly identify the infected and their close circle and get them quarantined before they are able to spread it further.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
As someone mentioned before, sending the kids home from school will require parents to stay home to take care of them (at least the younger ones). That takes those working parents out of the workforce which in some instances is great but in others, you’re pulling out doctors, nurses, first responders who are also necessary to put the brakes on to this.

also, what do you do with kids that need the school lunches for food. Believe it or not there are a lot of kids out there that school provides them with the only meals they get (among the other things that schools do).

How do they eat over Christmas, Spring and Summer break?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
friend says his sister's workplace has someone that tested positive for corona virus. Place is in West Des Moines. Glad we're acting like everything is fine.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Gotta keep pharmacies, grocery stores, power plants, fire stations, banks, and water treatment facilities open.

Oh, and Liquor stores. Don't f#$%ing close those. :eek:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You would need to. I ask, how many people who have went to the store, got out of their car, put on a mask and rubber gloves and then did their grocery shopping? When you breathe a fine mist comes out and it's very easy to breathe on stuff you don't buy. You handle the cart, the door, pick up a package that is in the way of the one you want. A lot of unneeded risk you are exposing others to.

Getting gas, who put on gloves, disinfected their gas cap and then disinfected their gloves and then pumped gas? I wash my hands as often as I can. I already probably washed my hands 20 times a day before, probably 30 now.

Mailing letters, once again, no licking or touching anything without gloves and mask, same with the mailbox. The mailperson should not have to disinfect your box, you should be wiping it down each time you use it. Same with your garbage bags and containers, it is your job to disinfect them not somebody elses.

Don't take you kids to daycare, keep them home with you. Definitely don't have grandparents watch them.

Many people are exposing people left and right in little ways, but don't think they are. IMO, just use common sense and keep the best hygiene you can.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
friend says his sister's workplace has someone that tested positive for corona virus. Place is in West Des Moines. Glad we're acting like everything is fine.

Perry isn't that big IIRC. If it's there, it's in all your bigger metros.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Summer break, the schools or libraries, or another place gets grants from the government to provide meals to kids.

I would also note that while yes, food access is often an issue then too - it's a planned one. We know every year and can plan a bit more for it. This is obviously unexpected. WI declared emergency Thurs and closed schools Fri. I learned part of that ordering was to free up money on Thurs to then fund food programs for the school closures.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
How do they eat over Christmas, Spring and Summer break?

A little different as most parents plan for that with vacation time or care facilities. Our city has a park district that offer summer and break time camps for kids. With all other means of care shut down and if you took your allotted time for your fiscal year to be home over winter break, this is a tough putt for a lot of families.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Two things.

The individual level - maybe their work requires proof after 2 sick days or is otherwise being an ass at this time and threatening a firing/no pay. I found out yesterday my short term disability specifically covers quarantines meaning I would get at least some pay should I need to go into quarantine. Do you think they pay that out if I don't have medical proof? My guess is no. Additionally, if they are positive and getting worse, the treatment plan is likely different than the flu or whatever else and any medical pro will tell you they'd rather know sooner rather than later what they're dealing with.

The bigger picture - the more people that we can ID as positive the more we can track the spread and respond to it. It tells us who it's infecting, how they're transmitting it, and actions to take. Do you think the NBA would have shut down without those positive tests on the two players? Look at South Korea. They are testing thousands a DAY and life for most is normal there because they are able to quickly identify the infected and their close circle and get them quarantined before they are able to spread it further.
Not to mention there are plenty of other things out there that can give you a fever that are treatable with prescribed medication. Let's not forget that most people out there are still getting sick from something other than Corona in Iowa.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not to mention there are plenty of other things out there that can give you a fever that are treatable with prescribed medication. Let's not forget that most people out there are still getting sick from something other than Corona in Iowa.
When the Corona flood is here, they may not be as treatable. That, or we’ll have to leave some COVID19 patients to effectively die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron