Corn on the grill

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
What's the best way to do this? Husk on or off? Tin foil or straight on the grill? Seasoning or no?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What I like is to shuck the corn, smear it with butter, add salt and pepper, wrap in foil and let it steam in the butter/natural juices.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i do it with husk on no seasoning. soak in water 15 mins before throwing it on and it will stay plenty moist. (season after you remove husk from cooked corn of course.)

i wont go as far as saying this is the BEST way but its how i do it.

C.A.H.

Feb 18, 2007
Des Moines
I've always had good luck by pulling off any really loose husks then soaking the corn in water for at least a couple of hours. I put it on the grill without seasoning, turning the corn as it cooks. The outside husks will get brown or even black, but the corn cooks nicely. I use a charcoal grill, so I don't know how it would work on a gas one.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I also usually do husk-on after soaking in water. Possibly not the best way to do it, but certainly the easiest. So long as it is good corn, it is mighty tasty.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Soak in corn for at least 30 mins. Pull husks back (but not off) so you can remove the silks and expose the corn. Brush with olive oil, I'll often add in some pepper and/or garlic powder to the olive oil. Put husks back. Grill. Enjoy.

Reactions: RING4CY

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Soak in corn for at least 30 mins. Pull husks back (but not off) so you can remove the silks and expose the corn. Brush with olive oil, I'll often add in some pepper and/or garlic powder to the olive oil. Put husks back. Grill. Enjoy.

Mmmm-Hmm. That's the stuff.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

I use good old american butter but everything else is spot on.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Here, here. Everything but the soaking. Butter and garlic salt. Heaven.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
i do it with husk on no seasoning. soak in water 15 mins before throwing it on and it will stay plenty moist. (season after you remove husk from cooked corn of course.)

+100! This is the way to do "roasting ears." Don't forget to remove the silk before soaking.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007

Same here....Corn is done when the husk dries out and starts to burn, steams cooks itself.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
+100! This is the way to do "roasting ears." Don't forget to remove the silk before soaking.

The silk comes off much easier after roasting, comes off when you shuck the husk.

I only pull back the husk enough to check for worms, then soak the ears for 15 min, roast on the grill untill the husk is again dry and starts to burn. Pull back the husk and the silk mostly just falls off with the husk, rotate rubbing off the husk and off comes the silk. Much easier than terying to get it all off before roasting. Eating is next after butter

Last edited:

Colossus

Jan 16, 2010
I refuse to purchase non-iowa sweet corn from the grocery store. Not fresh, and just plain not as good.