Cordless power tools

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have recently had a career change and will be needing to use cordless power tools more often, or at least I would have have the opportunity to to need to use the stuff more often. I am curious to what other people like to use or feel like are the best tools. The tools I would most likely be using the most would be the drill, impact drill, cutoff saw, reciprocating saw, grease gun, trouble light.
Mostly I have been looking at Milwaukee (18v) and DeWalt (18v or 20v) cordless tools. Its hard to get a read on the reviews online because most all of them are very good- cant tell which one would be better than the other.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I can tell you that most contractors in Des Moines use Milwaukee tools, as far as personal choice I prefer DeWalt but have never had an issue with either brand. I would just approach it with a buy what is at a better price approach.

Source: I currently work for a general contractor and have worked for a couple different subcontractors.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm a Ryobi (for the cost value) and DeWalt guy but the newest stuff from Milwaukee is really nice. There are a lot of trade style tools they make now a days.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Dewalt 20v max xr brushless. You won't be dissapointed.

You will if you ever use a Milwaukee Fuel. Their impacts are especially good. I got a 3/8 and 1/2 and I hardly use the 1/2. That 3/8 is a beast.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
You will if you ever use a Milwaukee Fuel. Their impacts are especially good. I got a 3/8 and 1/2 and I hardly use the 1/2. That 3/8 is a beast.

never been disappointed with mine, but I don't use an impact.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thoughts on the batteries of different brands and how they last? Batteries are as expensive as all get out and I find all of the on-line review stuff a little suspect.

Probably not as big a ripoff as the old batteries which were just ganged up Cs in a plastic cover but I still consider them the printer ink cartridges of the tool world.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
In my opinion, Ryobi is probably better for around the house jobs - Milwaukee and Dewalt more for on-the-job. (I have Ryobi myself).

My favorite cordless tool is the reciprocating saw, which I use for trimming small to medium sized branches when I don't need the power of a chain saw.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'm a self employed finish carpenter and have been able to try everything. Let me start off by saying you get what you pay for. Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt will not lead u a stray. All 3 of these are great brands and all of them have there benefits. I personally use dewalt but have used from the start. So if I were u, I would just look for the best deals. These brands are always running specials or deals so just keep your eyes open.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I had a Mikita cordless drill it lasted me 6 years and I was not easy on it, it was a great drill. Replaced it with a Bosch and it fell apart after 6 months. Replaced it with Porter Cable and it seems to be a good drill so far. I never had too good of luck with DeWalt stuff. Milwaukee seems to be such a better product.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
never been disappointed with mine, but I don't use an impact.

Yeah, then I'm not sure there's a big difference. Milwaukee and Mikita both make really handy little drivers that are light as hell too. I believe Mikita actually makes a tiny little impact too. Anywho, my main piece of advice would be to spend the money upfront and try to find a kit that has everything you need and some things you don't think you need, otherwise, you're like me with 4 different sets of tools all with different batteries. It's a pain. I didn't mean to imply Dewalt was junk because they aren't. I've just never been so impressed with something like the Fuel stuff I have.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
IM not sure exactly what you will be doing, but if you don't need the extra power some of the new 12V drills and drivers are fantastic. I have a Makita set that I use 90% of the time.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
I'm a Milwaukee guy all the way but Makita and Dewalt are suitable...the cordless sawzall from Milwaukee is ok (I have and use mine however I'd always opt for the corded if heavy demo style work is in the picture) same for the 4" grinder...also Milwaukee has new batteries out now as well as the option of their small guys. The two batteries you get with any set are usually enough as they charge relatively quickly and have a charge meter on the batteries themselves which I find extra handy...plus they run until dead and don't slow down when they are low (not that much anyway). The little 12v drivers they have are pretty tough too, I'd hedge for the larger 18v however.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Go with the newer battery technology.

Speaking from experience, once you start in with a particular brand and battery voltage or type, you will be most inclined to buy more tools of that type. So pick from a family that has all the options you want and will likely be added to as time goes on.

I have probably 15 different DeWalt tools in the 18V Ni-Cd variety. I would love to try some Li-Ion tools, but I don't want different chargers and battery packs that don't match up. So I stay with the devil I know. The nice thing about Ni-cd batteries is that they can be rebuilt cheaply, for about 1/3 of the price of new ones, when they get weak.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm a self employed finish carpenter and have been able to try everything. Let me start off by saying you get what you pay for. Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt will not lead u a stray. All 3 of these are great brands and all of them have there benefits. I personally use dewalt but have used from the start. So if I were u, I would just look for the best deals. These brands are always running specials or deals so just keep your eyes open.

Any thoughts on Ryobi? It's more in my budget level and I saw somewhere they are built by the same factory as Makita.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I used both a Dewalt 36 volt and a Milwaukee 28 volt hammer drill extensively for right around 8 years. After 8 years of abuse and multiple drills of both brands, I would recommend Milwaukee. They are lighter, batteries last longer, have more torque and are usually cheaper. When I bought a personal drill, I bought a Milwaukee.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron