• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why would a contractor assume you want work not up to code... And why would he do work that isn't up to code without talking with you first.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Did you get a permit for the remodel? If you did, I'm guessing the city will inspect at some point.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Story and a question:

I hired a contractor to remodel part of my house. He gave me a fair price and we signed a contract. I paid for all materials myself and half the labor up front.

My dad come over and notices the work is not to code. We talk about the changes and how to bring it up to my contractor. Just then my contractor comes over. My dad leaves and I ask the contractor to fix some items. He reluctantly agrees.

As he's leaving for the day, the contractor says he doesn't appreciate someone else coming in and me not trusting his work. He said "I did it like that because you said you wanted it cheap." If you didn't trust me why did you hire me?

I told him I like his communication and his guys but understand his frustration.

I ask if he wants to stop the job or keep working and he says he'll let me know on Monday.

Here are my thoughts:

I already paid him for half the labor, $4,500 so far. If i fire him that's not coming back. If he walks away I might be able to salvage some back.

I didn't communicate my desires properly. When we were talking price i assumed that everything would be to code. He obviously did not.

There are several items he needs to fix to make it right and now I don't necessarily trust him and he's not happy with me. Seems like a bad relationship for a home project.

I'm going to get some other prices quick to clean up this need to keep in my back pocket for our discussion on Monday.

What would you do?

If a contractor is licensed, they will lose their license if they notice something is not up to code and not push to repair it. It's like a mandatory reporter, you have to inform and push to correct. If there was an issue and you knew it was up to code and didn't do anything, it will be on you. If you have an issue (like a fire or something) and you didn't know because a contractor did it and skirted it, your insurance will nail them for it.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Any contractor who treats code as optional is a bad contractor

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
No permit required for this particular job.

I'd really like to settle this without an attorney.

I don't envy the situation you are in and I am completely uneducated on the topic, but how can a no-permit-needed job fail to be up to code? Don't the two hold hands

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Even a free consultation with an attorney could give you some info about whether this contractor not meeting code might excuse you from your entire contract with him.

If you aren't willing to get a lawyer involved, then you are stuck deciding whether you trust him not to half-ass the work when he will think you're pulling one over on him (seems that's unreasonable, but it's still what he might think) or whether you're going to spend more than you expected by hiring somebody else or paying him more.

Unless there is some more backstory here, "I didn't communicate my desires properly" is probably too hard on yourself about not meeting code. Did you give him a reason to think that you were wink-wink, nudge-nudge okay with not doing so to keep the price down?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Assuming your contract was pretty skimpy and didn't include "meeting code." Seems like you have two choices to get to code. 1) Get a revised contact with him. 2) Hire someone else. How much more do you think it will more do you think it will cost to move the job from where it is now to completion that meets code? Seems like you are going to have to pay someone to do it. If you handle it right, perhaps you can help him out of a jam for taking a job that he wasn't going to do according to code. Of course, that may tell you more than you need to know about him.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Story and a question:

I hired a contractor to remodel part of my house. He gave me a fair price and we signed a contract. I paid for all materials myself and half the labor up front.

My dad come over and notices the work is not to code. We talk about the changes and how to bring it up to my contractor. Just then my contractor comes over. My dad leaves and I ask the contractor to fix some items. He reluctantly agrees.

As he's leaving for the day, the contractor says he doesn't appreciate someone else coming in and me not trusting his work. He said "I did it like that because you said you wanted it cheap." If you didn't trust me why did you hire me?

I told him I like his communication and his guys but understand his frustration.

I ask if he wants to stop the job or keep working and he says he'll let me know on Monday.

Here are my thoughts:

I already paid him for half the labor, $4,500 so far. If i fire him that's not coming back. If he walks away I might be able to salvage some back.

I didn't communicate my desires properly. When we were talking price i assumed that everything would be to code. He obviously did not.

There are several items he needs to fix to make it right and now I don't necessarily trust him and he's not happy with me. Seems like a bad relationship for a home project.

I'm going to get some other prices quick to clean up this need to keep in my back pocket for our discussion on Monday.

What would you do?

Just curious......exactly what was he hired to do that didn't require a permit, but needs to be brought to code?

Reactions: Clarence Butthorn

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Expensive lesson, but you may have to walk and eat it. If you proceed, it's going to get worse and you're going to end up spending more, whether it be attorney fees or fixing even more.

If the relationship is sour, neither of you are going to be able to communicate without assuming there's an angle. The chances of both parties ending up pleased at this point is very low. Eat the cash and keep your stress levels low.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

And this part would scare the hell out of me. What kind of contractor doesn't allow someone to look at their work? When it's done are you going to cover it in plastic?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
And this part would scare the hell out of me. What kind of contractor doesn't allow someone to look at their work? When it's done are you going to cover it in plastic?

He didn't say anything about "looking" at their work. From the way it sounds is that the OP wanted something done.....at a very reasonable rate....and the guy doing the work doesn't like the fact that now someone has turned the OP's ear about how the work looks......very reasonable. I don't like to use the word "cheap".

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Or OP noticed it looked suspect and called in someone with more experience to confirm or refute his suspicions?

Whoa......pump the brakes. Just responding to what I have read. Being a contractor myself I know what it's like for someone to come in and say my work blows. Even though it exceeds all codes local or otherwise without a permit. That is the nature of the beast in this business. Everyone knows how to do the job better than the guy who is doing it. And maybe that is his rub also. Or, maybe his work does just flat out blow. I don't know. The way I see it......you have $4500 you were going to pay him at completion, right? Why not sit down with him.....offer him a little more to make it right. Put him on the spot. Basically....start over. Then see what he says.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
No permit required for this particular job.

I'd really like to settle this without an attorney.
Start with telling him what you want and when you want it done. It will work out from there. When you get your job done, he saves his professional reputation. All good.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Have you contacted UofI? I hear they’re a really good place to seek advice about handling contractors.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think the problem mainly stemmed from him showing up early and seeing my dad there talking and pointing things out. if he didn't know anyone came by I could have addressed it with him.

Been there done that. Still.....you said it was a fair price. Try offering him a little more for certain changes. He may walk because he is thinking "what's next". He may walk because he truly doesn't have a clue. Or, he may say "that's workable, what do you want". After you get things ironed out.......no more family members.:)