College Search & Visit

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Know a person with a name on a building and that bumps you up a ways.
That can help.
The lesson there is, a big part of undergrad is about mastering the skills on networking and making the needed connections. This person's son should be thinking of where best can they do that. Make connections in your field, not just for favors, but to learn and actually get a sense for what it takes to be successful. Certainly some candidates have a head start

When I would go to the match dinner parties, I heard more than once of students forcing their way to connections. More important in other fields i think, but even med students now need to take the matter into their own hands, or at least make it a priority.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone13

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
That can help.
The lesson there is, a big part of undergrad is about mastering the skills on networking and making the needed connections. This person's son should be thinking of where best can they do that. Make connections in your field, not just for favors, but to learn and actually get a sense for what it takes to be successful. Certainly some candidates have a head start

When I would go to the match dinner parties, I heard more than once of students forcing their way to connections. More important in other fields i think, but even med students now need to take the matter into their own hands, or at least make it a priority.
1000% agree with your comments. Soft skills are so important and I and my wife agree that ideally we want him to apply (and admitted) to schools that help him improve his soft skills. Find schools where professors really care about the students instead of treating students as just numbers, or teaching as "side jobs" because they care more about research, etc.

Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
1000% agree with your comments. Soft skills are so important and I and my wife agree that ideally we want him to apply (and admitted) to schools that help him improve his soft skills. Find schools where professors really care about the students instead of treating students as just numbers, or teaching as "side jobs" because they care more about research, etc.
Your son is well on the right path if you all are already being intentional about finding schools that hone this. The material is the material, but improvement in learning and soft skills differs. Just my experience, but if many of the students articulate well the value that school has added to their ability to think and other soft skills, that is a good sign. They've been forced to think about it intentionally as well

One reason why those brand names you mentioned can be worth it is because the brand of those schools can make up for a lack of soft (and other) skills. But that only gets you in the door.

You said he wants a large school?
In my opinion, the floor is generally higher at a smaller school in which getting the students to their next step is priority #1 of the professors. They need your son to do well post-grad when there are so few in the graduating class. They have more of an incentive to be proactive in helping your son get to med school in my opinion, whereas that can be the career placement department's problem at a large school, but not always. The ceiling may be higher at a larger school- more people, more possible connections, bigger research, and a bigger test of soft skills. And you can find the same small school environment at larger schools depending on department/major.

Last edited:
  • Informative

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado
What did you guys think about Vanderbilt, WUSL, Chicago and Northwestern?
I know I probably shouldn't do this - but I think we will also check EIU too (I always feel guilty entertaining that thought).....
Our daughter had a high class ranking and aced the ACT. So we made visits to a number of blue blood academic schools. West coast: Cal, Cal Tech, USC, Stanford and UCLA,. East coast: Harvard, MIT and Yale. And Rice and Northwestern. Mostly so both she along with our son could see what was possible for them. We did a October trip to Rice and then flew from Houston to Chicago for the Northwestern trip. Very hot at Rice that day and there was literally no student activity. Then flew on to Chicago and cold front came through with high winds off the lake with a cold biting rain but the student activity was awesome. She applied at Stanford, Rice and Northwestern. She chose Northwestern (CHEM E) and it was a great experience for her. Great group of friends with all but her going on to be doctors. Long story but in the end it was about how she felt on campus. We made many trips to see her while there and each trip was great! So we were very satisfied with Northwestern.

• Informative

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Our daughter had a high class ranking and aced the ACT. So we made visits to a number of blue blood academic schools. West coast: Cal, Cal Tech, USC, Stanford and UCLA,. East coast: Harvard, MIT and Yale. And Rice and Northwestern. Mostly so both she along with our son could see what was possible for them. We did a October trip to Rice and then flew from Houston to Chicago for the Northwestern trip. Very hot at Rice that day and there was literally no student activity. Then flew on to Chicago and cold front came through with high winds off the lake with a cold biting rain but the student activity was awesome. She applied at Stanford, Rice and Northwestern. She chose Northwestern (CHEM E) and it was a great experience for her. Great group of friends with all but her going on to be doctors. Long story but in the end it was about how she felt on campus. We made many trips to see her while there and each trip was great! So we were very satisfied with Northwestern.

Good for her. Northwestern is a pretty tough school and setting to beat, beautiful along the lake with the city a short purple line El ride away.

• Agree

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Will your child be getting a scholarship? If not, I'd look into going to CC to knock out the gen eds at a lower price.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
What - if you can call it - makes me nervous the most from this process is the holistic admission process because of the essay component of the application. I understand why colleges do it but I feel it leaves “luck” factor similar to job interview when things depend on whether the essay readers like your essay or not

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa State, along with most other major universities, has switched to a test optional admission policy, meaning your child can decide whether or not they wish to submit their ACT or SAT scores with their application.

If your child chooses to submit their test scores, they'll be automatically admitted if their Regent Admission Index (RAI) score is at least 245. The RAI = (GPA x 30) + (ACT x 3) + (number of years of high school core courses x 5).

If your child chooses not to submit ACT or SAT scores, then they'll be considered for admission on an individual basis with primary emphasis on GPA and core courses.

Interesting info. Either Im adding it wrong or wouldn’t practically no students have 245? Is it 5 point GPA? 4.0 gpa and the four years gets 140, which means 4.0 student needs 35 on the ACT. Get one or two Bs and perfect ACT wouldn’t do it.

Im guessing gpa or act score must have changed since I went through college admissions.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting info. Either Im adding it wrong or wouldn’t practically no students have 245? Is it 5 point GPA? 4.0 gpa and the four years gets 140, which means 4.0 student needs 35 on the ACT. Get one or two Bs and perfect ACT wouldn’t do it.

Im guessing gpa or act score must have changed since I went through college admissions.

Can't remember exactly but I do remember this formula with my older daughter. Her HS GPA was around 3.75 and I think her ACT was around 26 and she cleared this for admission to ISU pretty easily, with a little bit of scholarship.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can't remember exactly but I do remember this formula with my older daughter. Her HS GPA was around 3.75 and I think her ACT was around 26 and she cleared this for admission to ISU pretty easily.

Either I need a cup of coffee because of morning math, gpa/act has changed and I don’t have hs kids to know it, or that formula requires near perfect academic record that I’m generously guessing only 1% of ISU students have.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Either I need a cup of coffee because of morning math, gpa/act has changed and I don’t have hs kids to know it, or that formula requires near perfect academic record that I’m generously guessing only 1% of ISU students have.

Like I said, I can't remember all the details, our older daughter was a definitely a good student, but by no means a valedictorian and she cleared it pretty easily. I don't remember at any point stressing about whether she'd get in. Hell if a 3.75 GPA and 26 ACT doesn't get you into a state university something is very wrong.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Like I said, I can't remember all the details, our older daughter was a definitely a good student, but by no means a valedictorian and she cleared it pretty easily. I don't remember at any point stressing about whether she'd get in. Hell if a 3.75 GPA and 26 ACT doesn't get you into a state university something is very wrong.

I’m sure you’re right on general admissions especially since ISU grew over 20 years.

I do think that formula requires 4.0 and a 35 or perfect ACT and near 4.0 reading about it on ISU sites. I’d think a good portion of those students are national merit scholars. Again unless somehow I’m messing up the math.

Seems kind of pointless other than ISU automatically accepting the top .5% of applicants.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Will your child be getting a scholarship? If not, I'd look into going to CC to knock out the gen eds at a lower price.
I hope he will. Grade wise I have no worries. Right now he is taking classes at U of M so if he gets admitted, he would probably need 2-2.5 years to graduate as he would have earned college credits during his junior and senior years.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m sure you’re right on general admissions especially since ISU grew over 20 years.

I do think that formula requires 4.0 and a 35 or perfect ACT and near 4.0 reading about it on ISU sites. I’d think a good portion of those students are national merit scholars. Again unless somehow I’m messing up the math.

Seems kind of pointless other than ISU automatically accepting the top .5% of applicants.

Yeah I don't math well but obviously you don't need a 4.0 and 35 ACT to get into ISU, UI, UNI. My daughter's GPA and ACT would've gotten her to 190.5. Then you add the # of years of her HS core courses (4 years English, 3 years math, 3 years science, 3 years social studies, 2 years electives) and multiply that times 5 (15x5=75) and that would bring her to 265.5.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Community college in Iowa right now is free if your kids choose any STEM field.
Here in Minny, HS juniors and seniors can take classes that earn college credits at local
CC or even at the U of M. The one at the U is tougher due to selection process (especially juniors)
From their website:
“Typically 1100 students apply, and 600 are admitted. The average unweighted high school GPA of admitted PSEO students is 3.93 and most students have taken a significant number of rigorous high school courses.”

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah I don't math well but obviously you don't need a 4.0 and 35 ACT to get into ISU, UI, UNI. My daughter's GPA and ACT would've gotten her to 190.5. Then you add the # of years of her HS core courses (4 years English, 3 years math, 3 years science, 3 years social studies, 2 years electives) and multiply that times 5, and that would bring her to 265.5.

thanks I see what I was doing wrong, I was just using 4 years of core courses x5 to get 20…which can get to 245 but with near perfect gpa/act.

Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
thanks I see what I was doing wrong, I was just using 4 years of core courses x5 to get 20…which can get to 245 but with near perfect gpa/act.

I remember in my day all you had to be was top half of your graduating class and you were in. Thank god.

Help Support Us

Become a patron