Cmon Royce

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
that was a bone headed play by royce, but not as boneheaded as jump-passing out of back to back open threes by our guards in the last two possessions, both leading to turnovers. that was unbelievable. Royce is a sophomore, these guys are supposed to be our senior leaders.
The play that really made me mad was when SC was 35 feet from the basket trying to take his guy off the dribble and lost the ball. Made RWs 3 point shot look like a great idea.:confused:

i know exactly the play you are talking about.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
My point is Royce's shot is something we can immediately fix, Royce should not take another 3 for the rest of the year. Launch a couple against Grand valley State next year, in the 1st half to get it out of his system, that would work for me. This loss isnt on Royce, This loss was a team effort. I honestly think we would have had to beat Mizzou too to move out of the 8-9 game, tall task so hopefully we fall to the 10. We havnt had a game like that since Okie State, maybe its out of their system. Give UT credit.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Royce still has a lot of improvement left in his game. Hopefully he comes back next year and puts the finishing touches on his career. He still needs to learn when to be aggressive scoring with the ball, and when to pass.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Royce had a OK with some sloppy posession. McGee and Melvin hurt on defense and on the boards. The guards were really really off tonight. Seems to happen when they just try to do too much. They were trying too hard to take guys off the dribble and that resulted in lots of those crazy jump passes and wild off balance shots that were not going in.

P.S. what is Gibson's shooting percentage over the last 8 games. The kid can finish around the rim get him the rock. I think 3 bigs Gibson, White, Melvin would have crushed them on the inside.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Royce had a OK with some sloppy posession. McGee and Melvin hurt on defense and on the boards. The guards were really really off tonight. Seems to happen when they just try to do too much. They were trying too hard to take guys off the dribble and that resulted in lots of those crazy jump passes and wild off balance shots that were not going in.

P.S. what is Gibson's shooting percentage over the last 8 games. The kid can finish around the rim get him the rock. I think 3 bigs Gibson, White, Melvin would have crushed them on the inside.

So go our guards, so goes the W/L. When our guards aren't shooting particularly well, they are average at best because they are somewhat limited athletically and especially on the defensive end. We typically have a tough time driving and scoring in our backcourt.

It's not big teams that have hurt us so much, as teams with very good, athletic guards.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Probably not his best idea, but if you think about it.....not many others seemed willing to take the shots at the end.

When Royce takes more than 12 shots.....ISU usually loses. It's not because Royce should not be shooting and cannot score.......but it's what else it means. If Royce is shooting that much, it generally means the outside shooting is not working, or there is not much scoring from any other source, for whatever reason.

I think Texas just has ISU's number this year. The last two games against them they held ISU to only 5 three-pointers made in each one. The first game, they gave up 10 three-pointers to ISU, but let's be honest....if Brown had not missed 15 minutes of that game due to injury, Texas likely may have won. He finished that game with 19 points as it was, and Texas did not recover when he went down.

I hate to see us single out any one player. It was a team effort to lose last night.

HawkHater247

Nov 22, 2011
After watching that "performance" I'm not sure how any Cyclone fan could NOT be mad. It was pathetic.

LoL go ahead and switch to a Hawk fan. No one in the fanbase will mind and true fans keep their eye on the prize. Leave anytime please.

T

Treytros

I to couldn't believe it when Royce took the three point shot and was clearly not the right play to be made at that time in the game. We had an 11 point 2nd half lead. We have no killer instinct we were entirely to okay with just playing and goofing around and having fun in the tournament until we realized hey if we don't take a more business approach to the whole game possession by possession then the fun is over. By then the moment had switched. Also don't like how we are 32 games into the season and Ejim is still making 2-3 turnovers instead of layup or dunks. I mean cmon Ejim its everygame you do this.

IbSvU

Feb 6, 2012
So go our guards, so goes the W/L. When our guards aren't shooting particularly well, they are average at best because they are somewhat limited athletically and especially on the defensive end. We typically have a tough time driving and scoring in our backcourt.

It's not big teams that have hurt us so much, as teams with very good, athletic guards.

^ This

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Royce still has a lot of improvement left in his game. Hopefully he comes back next year and puts the finishing touches on his career. He still needs to learn when to be aggressive scoring with the ball, and when to pass.

This * 10. Royce really is more of an athlete than a bball player at this stage. He does some AMAZING things on the court, things that no one else can do. That's one reason he draws so much attention. But he is very much still learning how to play basketball.

He has the physical skills of an NBA all-star, but the basketball skills of a 8th grader (exaggeration intentional). Luckily, basketball skills can be taught, learned, and improved. I expect he'll keep working at it and be awesome some day, I am certainly pulling for him.