Classic Cowherd

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I would say being a top 25 team for 3 straight years and having the most top 25 wins out of anyone in the entire country in the last 2 years makes them elite. You don't agree and that is fine.

I do know I've never heard the national media call us posers and I've never seen Chris Williams write an article saying "Dear America - ISU Basketball doesn't care what you think". ISU basketball is respected by the nation, Iowa football is getting laughed at.

It's not just me saying isu isn't elite. It's most people other than you. Having obscure qualifications for what makes a team elite doesn't make it so. Keep calling them that though, if it helps take the sting off of being Iowa's equal this year on the hardwood.

I haven't really seen anybody laughing at is football, other than cowherd. Even Herbie and finebaum said they were wrong and that Iowa deserved their ranking.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's not just me saying isu isn't elite. It's most people other than you. Having obscure qualifications for what makes a team elite doesn't make it so. Keep calling them that though, if it helps take the sting off of being Iowa's equal this year on the hardwood.

I haven't really seen anybody laughing at is football, other than cowherd. Even Herbie and finebaum said they were wrong and that Iowa deserved their ranking.

So you said Iowa football was elite because...?

Have you lived in a bubble since the Rose Bowl? Herbie and Finebaum said that about Iowa a month ago

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Sheet, sure they do.
That's said for your consumption, there's a 0% chance they believe that.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So you said Iowa football was elite because...?

Have you lived in a bubble since the Rose Bowl? Herbie and Finebaum said that about Iowa a month ago

Because I'm showing you how ridiculous you sound.

Here are the facts. Iowa has been solid at football under ferentz. Some years they've been great, other years, good, and don't years bad. Not elite. This year I'd say they were really good, but obviously not to the level of the 2002 and 2009 teams. 12-2 and a top ten ranking is considered really good, even by lofty Iowa fans standards.

ISU has been really good in basketball. Making one sweet 16 run since the turn of the century does not make them elite. They've been fun to watch, and won some amazing games. They've also lost some head scratchers. To be elite, you need more than 3 years of good, but not great success.

Iowa basketball is above average. Can compete with most teams, but has typically lost those close games against the really good teams. They've been middle of the pack, which typically gets youba middle of the pack seed into the NCAA tournament. I'll take that improvement over Alford and lick any day.

ISU football has spoken for its self.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Here are the facts. Iowa has been solid at football under ferentz. Some years they've been great, other years, good, and don't years bad. Not elite. This year I'd say they were really good, but obviously not to the level of the 2002 and 2009 teams. 12-2 and a top ten ranking is considered really good, even by lofty Iowa fans standards.

ISU has been really good in basketball. Making one sweet 16 run since the turn of the century does not make them elite. They've been fun to watch, and won some amazing games. They've also lost some head scratchers. To be elite, you need more than 3 years of good, but not great success.

Iowa basketball is above average. Can compete with most teams, but has typically lost those close games against the really good teams. They've been middle of the pack, which typically gets youba middle of the pack seed into the NCAA tournament. I'll take that improvement over Alford and lick any day.

This will be six I believe, better adjust the criteria.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

What? You said Iowa was elite before I even posted in this thread

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
So what are your qualifications for being elite? It seems they change.

ISU wasn't elite last year. They would have finished 4th in a real conference. I mean, uab was a 14 seed, and they exposed the clones!
I know you're being a little facetious, but uab didn't expose the clones, they upset them. They would have exposed ISU as posers if ISU had received their tournament seed after going through the entire Big 12 schedule (and Big 12 tournament) without playing Kansas or Oklahoma.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Are you saying going 12-0 is easy?

Seriously???

Illinois State RedBirds
at Iowa State Cyclones
Pittsburgh Panthers
North Texas Mean Green
at Wisconsin Badgers
Illinois Fighting Illini (HC)
at Northwestern Wildcats
Maryland Terrapins
at Indiana Hoosiers
Minnesota Golden Gophers
Purdue Boilermakers
at Nebraska Cornhuskers

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I think you need to look at what the actual definition of elite is before you start throwing it around.

Not many teams are elite, over a period of years, only Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball are in the conversation. To say either ISU basketball or Iowa football is elite is asinine. Neither have done anything that puts them in that category.

Iowa had a good year, got the bounces they needed to be 12-0. But after what happened to them in the Rose Bowl they are nowhere close to elite. They were a team that in sum is greater than its parts.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
*proven

Now we're down to the last two years isu is elite? Do elite teams lose to Texas tech, uab, and uni?

Is there a class of temporary elite teams?

And another fun fact: Ricky stanzi has as many bowl wins as isu. He's an elite quarterback.

Seems like a lot of deflection here. Trying really hard to avoid admitting that the season MVP was the guy in charge of B1G scheduling?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
if it helps take the sting off of being Iowa's equal this year on the hardwood.

Did you really just go there? So can we consider ISU to be Iowa's equal this year on the gridiron since it took a heroic last-minute drive to push themselves past the mighty Cyclones?

You can't have it both ways. Either the win means they aren't "equal" after all, or the near-miss makes ISU your "elite" squad's equal.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I hope you guys who think these so-called "good iowa fans" who post on here are starting to realize they are no different than the rest of the mouth-breathing fan base. If the last few weeks haven't convinced you of that, you are hopeless.

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

The Hawks have as many NCAA tournament wins since 2000 as we do bowl wins. Yet the basketball team is above average and our football team speaks for itself.

There's so much stupidity on here lately it's comical.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
So what are your qualifications for being elite? It seems they change.

ISU wasn't elite last year. They would have finished 4th in a real conference. I mean, uab was a 14 seed, and they exposed the clones!

I think an appropriate question here for you is what the hell do you think makes Iowa football elite this year? Playing a poor schedule, a couple of at the time top 25 wins, and then getting their *** kicked in a bowl game? That is an elite team in your gold and black world? Seriously? If so, you are delusional. Iowa got exposed continually in the bowl game.......from the very first play. That is not an elite team. Not even close. Also, I don't see how Iowa will finish in the top 10 this year..........the voters are not THAT stupid. At least, let's hope not.

I don't think ISU is an elite team in basketball, and may never be. They may have reached that level if their coach had not gone to the pros, but not yet. A very good team, but not near elite. There is one elite team in the Big 12 in basketball.......KU, and arguably one in the Big 10...MSU or Indiana, although Indiana has not done much of late.

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
For those of you who are just now taking my comments seriously, lighten up. My responses have been for the benefit of cytwins. No more, no less.

Really though, I've said this before, the personality swap of the two fanbases in late November is fun to watch.

The same guys who had their panties bunched over the Iowa fans who took excitement out of the uab game last year are the same ones who got off on the rose bowl. You want Iowa fans to respect and bow down to ISU basketball, but can't admit when Iowa has had a season you would kill for.

And really, people like that are pathetic. I have never, and will never, understand the fans that can't get enjoyment out of a sports season, regardless of their teams success, unless they think another fanbase is miserable. It's a little pathetic.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Iowa state football, add it is right now, is not comparable to Iowa basketball. That's really not even up for debate.

Obviously that can all change in a hurry.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

The Hawks have as many NCAA tournament wins since 2000 as we do bowl wins. Yet the basketball team is above average and our football team speaks for itself.

There's so much stupidity on here lately it's comical.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
It takes an elite team to go 12-0 in any power 5 conference.

Not when the wins were:

Illinois State (10-2) FCS
Iowa State (3-9)
Pitt (8-5)
North Texas (1-11)
@ Wisconsin (10-3)
Illinois (5-7)
@ Northwestern (10-3)
Maryland (3-9)
@ Indiana (6-7)
Minnesota (6-7)
Purdue (2-10)
@ Nebraska (6-7)

Michigan State (12-2)

Stanford (12-2)

The 12 wins were against 8 conference teams with a combined 23-41 conference record and a 44-52 overall winning record. They played two teams with a winning CONFERENCE record (Wisconsin and Northwestern) no one else on their conference schedule even had a pulse.

They had the 100 strongest schedule in the country. That's out of 128 FBS teams. It does not take an elite team to win 12 games when only 2 opponents have a fricking pulse.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It takes an elite team to go 12-0 in any power 5 conference.

Not when the wins were:

Illinois State (10-2) FCS
Iowa State (3-9)
Pitt (8-5)
North Texas (1-11)
@ Wisconsin (10-3)
Illinois (5-7)
@ Northwestern (10-3)
Maryland (3-9)
@ Indiana (6-7)
Minnesota (6-7)
Purdue (2-10)
@ Nebraska (6-7)

Michigan State (12-2)

Stanford (12-2)

The 12 wins were against 8 conference teams with a combined 23-41 conference record and a 44-52 overall winning record. They played two teams with a winning CONFERENCE record (Wisconsin and Northwestern) no one else on their conference schedule even had a pulse.

They had the 100 strongest schedule in the country. That's out of 128 FBS teams. It does not take an elite team to win 12 games when only 2 opponents have a fricking pulse.

This is a perfect example of what I'm getting at. Thank you for proving my point.

Help Support Us

Become a patron