Civil or Construction

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Luckily I have plenty of time to decide between the two. I enjoy the designing part of being a CE but I think it would be fun looking over the construction of a project and being outdoors. Do you have a good chance of designing some projects if you are a ConE?

Design in the contractor world depends on the contractor and the type of work you are doing. I know Kiewit does a ton of engineering in house, but they also do massive projects that require it. Your smaller, local contractors don't do so much of that

PS...working with contractors is well...not fun, even outside. All contractors try to do is lie, cheat, steal, and changeorder your job to death so that they can make $1 more than what you agreed to.

Edit...Yeah, I'm that bitter.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin with that statement.

Maybe you need to find some better contractors.:confused:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I get the dumbest questions from Contractors.....it's pretty funny.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Like one of my ConE professors used to say after half the class failed his test...."if you can't hack it here, there's always the CE class across the hall!"

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
Like one of my ConE professors used to say after half the class failed his test...."if you can't hack it here, there's always the CE class across the hall!"

3/4 of the ConE curriculum is CE classes...so I don't know what he was trying to say. 20 bucks says I know who that prof is too and he took every chance he could to degrade CE's

HighOnCy

Jan 6, 2009
Kansas City
IMO, i always was of the belief that a CE can do any job a ConE can (structural, project management, foundation, steel/timber design, etc.), but a ConE can not do any job that a CE can (transportation, traffic analysis, hydrology/hydraulic design, waste water treatment, environmental saftey, etc.)

Reactions: clonefromNE

clonefromNE

SuperFanatic
Oct 27, 2006
Boston
IMO, i always was of the belief that a CE can do any job a ConE can (structural, project management, foundation, steel/timber design, etc.), but a ConE can not do any job that a CE can (transportation, traffic analysis, hydrology/hydraulic design, waste water treatment, environmental saftey, etc.)

Agreed. If you want more freedom in your future, go CE if you know that all you want to do is be in the field doing construction management, go ConE. ;-)

It's that basic of a question. But you have time.

Last edited:

Bwalk

Mar 21, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I will go as far as to say that they are almost interchangeable but the focus is different for each. BTW 3/4 of the ConE curriculum is not CE classes. And I see stupid designs from CE's every job...its funny.

Also, part of being a ConE is trying to erase the stigma attached to contractors due to unethical practices by past contractors as stated previously. I guarantee that my clients would say completely the opposite of what was stated by CyinCo. ConE's are not working out of the back of their trucks. It is a professional position and should be treated as such and afforded due respect, just like a CE.

Also, I would say that from my experiences, there are more lawsuits from ambiguous/poor design than there are incorrect assembly.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I suppose my comments about contractors was rather harsh. I would say that the NEW contractors we deal with are the way I described about half the time. The good half of those contractors become partners we use over and over again to the benefit of both parties, particularly when they are design build groups.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
(Be warned, architect barging into an engineer discussion... ) Given the state of the construction industry right now, I'd probably lean toward Civil. If the "New" new deal continues, there will be a lot of public works projects that will need to be designed and built. Construction, at least for my profession, is dwindling. We've more or less been able to name our construction price for bidding contractors as many are just trying to stay afloat until things pick up again.