Checking Accounts

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
Looking to start a new checking account. I am at FNB in Ames still, and it is time to get something in the DSM area. What do you reccommend.

Probably just need the basic free checking account, trying to avoid ATM fees, minimum balances, and monthly fees.

I heard US Bank and Bank of the West give you $100 for opening a new account right now.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
go with US bank thats who i have in ames and its convenient being able to take money from atms all over the country w/ no extra fee. and id get a savings account with them to and do their START program. once you reach 1000 in your savings they give you a 50 dollar gift card and if you keep it above 1000 for a year they give you another 50 bucks. just got our 1 year gift card last week so its something to look into

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Liberty Bank will give you 5% on your checking up to a certain amount. Can't remember the details but it's more interest than you can find anywhere else right now. Also they just sent me a birthday card so that was nice. I was expecting some cash in that card but oh well ;-)

They are a member of the priviledged status so any of the small town banks you can use ATM's with no fees. Also any of the ATM's at Kum & Go's are free too. (K&G and Liberty owned by same company)

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm with Veridian. It's worked good for me.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

Reactions: kilgore_trout

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
First Fed Savings Bank of Iowa. Im pretty sure I got an email from them recently for 3+% interest on checking accounts. Been meaning to look into that myself. Only time I am charged ATM fees is when I have to use a wells fargo machine, most all ATMs around des moines are no charge for First Fed customers.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I use West Bank of Iowa. I get 3% on checking and ATM refund fees up to $25/month all if I make 11 or so credit type transactions with the bank card and 1 direct deposit/withdrawal a month.

Pretty easy to do both the 11 and 1. I don't have direct deposit at work so I do a direct payment to the US Gov't for my student loans and the 11 transactions are easy to do with gas and bills.

Help Support Us

Become a patron