CFB Week 7 Opening Lines

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wouldn't surprise me if Texas plays flat (tweener game, early start, etc.) but I do feel like they are getting their "mojo" with Ewers back. Also wouldn't surprise me if the culture comments we have made the last year or two after the game might give the Horns some motivation. That and the blowout loss we gave them last season.

It's still a "nobody knows" thing.

Nobody knows if they will continue to mail it in some games when a team gets physical, or if they will gain the physical edge any team needs to be elite.

They can do it against OU any year, they played really physical and hard against #1 Alabama, but it's been really hard for them to do vs unranked teams or teams without a huge brand.

That said, I'm talking about this 13 point spread. There's absolutely no way ISU wins outright unless they have a total revelation and revolution of the offense in one week.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think some years we overstate that, but this year it’s legitimately true.

The bottom of the Big Ten is awful, and I’m not convinced that Michigan and Penn State are better than Texas, Oklahoma State, and TCU. Ohio State is on a different level, yes, but at least five teams in that league are worse than anybody in the Big 12. Iowa is probably the 8th or 9th best team in the Big Ten, but in the Big 12 they would be right down at the bottom with ISU, WVU, and OU.

West Virginia might be the worst team in the Big 12, but they easily handled Virginia Tech on the road, who is a bad ACC team, but not the worst. They almost took care of a mid-tier ACC team on the road.

The Pac-12 is decent, but Colorado is to them what Kansas used to be to us.

The SEC is still a better league. Vandy makes a bowl in the Big Ten West or ACC Coastal.

Yeah, in football some years we say we have the depth but we really don't. WVU, ISU, OU is a pretty dangerous 0-8 bottom 3. I mean the bottom three of any other conference has teams that are getting blown out every week and would be winless in just about any conference. OU would be sitting on top of B10W, ACC Coastal or Pac 12 South, ISU or WVU would be challenging for those divisions.

In basketball the b12 has been the deepest in the sport by a mile since dead weight Nebraska and Colorado left.

Agree that Michigan is a total unknown, they have the name and are winning convincingly but their SOS is outside the top 100.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I see most books now have Texas as a 15 to 16 point favorite.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Probably. I think ISU gets at least a push on 14. ISU has lost by more than 17 only five times under Campbell and four of them were in Year 1. So since the start of 2017, only the bowl game against Notre Dame.
Right, but the Notre Dame game showed serious differences in talent between the two programs. I think we see a similar talent gap on Saturday, which a very similar feel to the Notre Dame bowl game.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If it gets to 17.5, it seems time to hammer ISU, no?
Everyone down on ISU, everyone super high on Texas being back... Tons of points they scored on OU... You would think a letdown is possible. I could easily see Texas playing soft on defense. I just have no idea if ISU can do anything against anyone right now.

ISU defense is solid, but Texas will prob get 31-34 pts with Ewers.

If ISU can get the offense together, they should be able to put up 16-17 but even that is right on the line. If they are hopeless like the past couple weeks, then they could get shutout.

I'd probably wait, let the line more more towards Texas. Hell you might get 20.5 by friday night.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Everyone down on ISU, everyone super high on Texas being back... Tons of points they scored on OU... You would think a letdown is possible. I could easily see Texas playing soft on defense. I just have no idea if ISU can do anything against anyone right now.

ISU defense is solid, but Texas will prob get 31-34 pts with Ewers.

If ISU can get the offense together, they should be able to put up 16-17 but even that is right on the line. If they are hopeless like the past couple weeks, then they could get shutout.

I'd probably wait, let the line more more towards Texas. Hell you might get 20.5 by friday night.
Texas beat WV by 18, and that was with Hudson Card playing QB, and UT allowing a lot of garbage time points (it was 35-7 going into the 4th). It will be a lot worse against ISU with Ewers playing. I could see a 3 or 4 TD win by UT.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Texas beat WV by 18, and that was with Hudson Card playing QB, and UT allowing a lot of garbage time points (it was 35-7 going into the 4th). It will be a lot worse against ISU with Ewers playing. I could see a 3 or 4 TD win by UT.
Yeah I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up like 17 or more. Only thing on Texas end is that this game is right after a game vs. their biggest rival (OU) and then before another big game next week vs. Okie State. I don't think they will letdown but the set-up is there for it.