Car Gasket Question

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Need to remove an old head gasket off of an aluminum block. Does anyone know a way to get this removed? I know not to use abrasive, dusty or sharp objects such as a knife.

Tried break line cleaner, but with no success. TIA.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Everything that I have read is that the brand of gasket remover in that video does not work, so I have been reluctant to purchase it.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Since your block is aluminum, I'd use a plastic paint scraper / putty knife (also shown by the guy in the video). The plastic won't scratch the aluminum at all.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Wd40 lots of scraping, finally suck it up and use steel scraper carefully, get really ****** and use a rolox scotch brite in air drill. Scotch brite pads are usually very easy on alumn. Still be gentle.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Go to your local auto parts store and get a Gasket Scraper , the WD-40 suggestion is a good one, the last head that I had to clean up I used WD-40 and a 3M scratch pad to clean off the residue. Cleaned it up to looking like new in less than 45 minutes.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Oreillys carb cleaner has some pretty nasty solvents. That or fast lacquer thinner are usually my go-to general solvents for stuff like this.

I wouldn't be too scared of using a razor blade, either, as long as you go easy.

If it were me, I'd hit it with some solvent, get the big chunks with a razor blade, and then go at the little stuff with solvent on a shop towel and/or scotchbrite pad.

Out of curiosity, what are you working on? As far as I can remember, anything I've had head gaskets apart on (not a huge sample size) came apart with the gasket more or less intact.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
1998 Buick Regal. It's the thermostat housing gasket.

Got a lot of the gasket off with a plastic scraper, plan on picking up some CRC gasket remover tomorrow to finish that part off.

Last edited:

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I'm confused--you said in the original post this was for the head gasket... is the thermostat somehow part of the head gasket?

If it's just the gasket between the intake and the thermostat housing I wouldn't be too concerned about going at that with whatever you need to get the old crap off. Even if you were to nick the aluminum scraping off the old gasket, it's never going to see that much pressure... and you could easily use some auxillary RTV or gasket sealer before putting it back together if you were scared about it.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
My bad, you are correct it is the gasket between the intake and the thermostat housing. My mind is on to many things today apparently and I totally misspoke what I was wanting to say. Thank you for pointing that out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron