Caleb Grill is Returning to Iowa State

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
That whole line of thinking got started because someone misinterpreted the rules and then everyone started repeating it like it was fact. That’s only a rule if you didn’t play a certain amount of days at the school you transferred to or something along those lines. Because Grill and Harris played the entire season at UNLV and ISU, that rule doesn’t apply to them.

That being said, I still think both will be immediately eligible due to covid, coaching changes, etc.
It won't be due to covid because that is why they gave everyone waivers last year. But coaching change is definitely a waiver possibility although I expect them to be more strict going forward with waivers because of the one time free transfer rule.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It won't be due to covid because that is why they gave everyone waivers last year. But coaching change is definitely a waiver possibility although I expect them to be more strict going forward with waivers because of the one time free transfer rule.
So did Grill use the "one time free transfer" last year or was he allowed to play right away because of COVID? That's what I'm a tad confused about.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
So did Grill use the "one time free transfer" last year or was he allowed to play right away because of COVID? That's what I'm a tad confused about.
Yeah I guess that is a good question. I guess we will see what the NCAA does with this. Seems like it is going to be a cluster **** this season trying to figure it out.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Grill's gonna be way better and play a lot more minutes than a lot of your seem to think.
I love the optimism and think Caleb's going to be solid here the next 3 years. I think there are a lot of people who are choosing to only think of Caleb as the struggling little freshman who was forced into a roll WAY too early on in his career.

If anyone watched Caleb last year at UNLV or at least saw some game highlights of him, you'd see how much better he's gotten from year 1 to year 2. Yes, part of that had to do with the decrease in the level of competition on a night in night out basis, but that didn't stop him from having average to good games against some solid teams on their schedule. (UNC, Alabama, CSU, Nevada, Utah State and Boise State).

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Grill's gonna be way better and play a lot more minutes than a lot of your seem to think.

It's almost as if a player can improve from his freshman year... :p
It has been stated before but Grill had flashes as a freshman and some struggles. I understand fans feeling lackluster with the addition if that is what they expect the next 3 years. Caleb was alway a long term prospect that needed time to refine his athletic skills on the court. He was improved last year at UNLV and I expect another step when he steps on the Hilton Court. ISU could do much much worse than Caleb as ISU's 7-8 man next year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I love the optimism and think Caleb's going to be solid here the next 3 years. I think there are a lot of people who are choosing to only think of Caleb as the struggling little freshman who was forced into a roll WAY too early on in his career.

If anyone watched Caleb last year at UNLV or at least saw some game highlights of him, you'd see how much better he's gotten from year 1 to year 2. Yes, part of that had to do with the decrease in the level of competition on a night in night out basis, but that didn't stop him from having average to good games against some solid teams on their schedule. (UNC, Alabama, CSU, Nevada, Utah State and Boise State).

TJ mentioned in his interview with Chris that Caleb was banged up from the get go an wasn't ready/healed up for his freshman year. TJ seems really high on Caleb and expects him to be a significant contributor.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's almost as if a player can improve from his freshman year... :p
It has been stated before but Grill had flashes as a freshman and some struggles. I understand fans feeling lackluster with the addition if that is what they expect the next 3 years. Caleb was alway a long term prospect that needed time to refine his athletic skills on the court. He was improved last year at UNLV and I expect another step when he steps on the Hilton Court. ISU could do much much worse than Caleb as ISU's 7-8 man next year.

We're also not expecting Grill to be our savior.

We are more-or-less expecting that out of Hunter, Foster, Lipsey, and King, but that is what you have to do with some highly-touted freshman coming in, ones you expect to be in Ames for 3-4 years.

Grill was always a developmental/upside play.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We're also not expecting Grill to be our savior.

We are more-or-less expecting that out of Hunter, Foster, Lipsey, and King, but that is what you have to do with some highly-touted freshman coming in, ones you expect to be in Ames for 3-4 years.

Grill was always a developmental/upside play.

Grill was put in an impossible situation his Freshman year and that was 100% on CSP. We will see a completely different player next year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Grill was brought here to play a lot of minutes, he's not a project or a guy waiting to develop. At the least, he'll be the 6th man but I still think with the roster as it is today, he'd start. If he doesn't start, he's the backup at the 1-3 spots. I think TJ really trusts him and will ask a lot of him. I'd be surprised if he's not playing starter minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Grill was brought here to play a lot of minutes, he's not a project or a guy waiting to develop. At the least, he'll be the 6th man but I still think with the roster as it is today, he'd start. If he doesn't start, he's the backup at the 1-3 spots. I think TJ really trusts him and will ask a lot of him. I'd be surprised if he's not playing starter minutes.

Our "1" and "2" spots are the most locked in starting spots for next year imo (Hunter and Kalscheur).

Grill will be solid in his 6th man/1st guard off the bench role though. He improved greatly from year 1 at ISU to year 2 at UNLV but will need to make yet another jump to be a starter level player at the high major level. Perhaps that will come in years 4 and 5 as an upperclassmen but for now, he's a 15-18 mins guy off the bench who can provide shooting. HIs ball handling and playmaking skills still need improvement.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Our "1" and "2" spots are the most locked in starting spots for next year imo (Hunter and Kalscheur).

Grill will be solid in his 6th man/1st guard off the bench role though. He improved greatly from year 1 at ISU to year 2 at UNLV but will need to make yet another jump to be a starter level player at the high major level. Perhaps that will come in years 4 and 5 as an upperclassmen but for now, he's a 15-18 mins guy off the bench who can provide shooting. HIs ball handling and playmaking skills still need improvement.

I could see Grill outplaying Enaruna for the "3" and/or if Hinson isn't able to go for some reason. Some of it comes down to what happens with the "4" depending on if Kunc can fit in there or not, too.

But this is a possible lineup...

Hunter
Kalscheur
Grill
Hinson
Foster

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I could see Grill outplaying Enaruna for the "3" and/or if Hinson isn't able to go for some reason. Some of it comes down to what happens with the "4" depending on if Kunc can fit in there or not, too.

But this is a possible lineup...

Hunter
Kalscheur
Grill
Hinson
Foster

This would be the starting lineup I expect if the roster stays as it is

Reactions: Sigmapolis

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In the year of Covid, I'd be very surprised if the NCAA doesn't give Caleb the waiver.
I thought you could transfer back to your old school with no sit out year. Thought I read that in the Tyler Harris back to Memphis thread
Yeah I’m guessing both are able to play right away.
That whole line of thinking got started because someone misinterpreted the rules and then everyone started repeating it like it was fact. That’s only a rule if you didn’t play a certain amount of days at the school you transferred to or something along those lines. Because Grill and Harris played the entire season at UNLV and ISU, that rule doesn’t apply to them.

That being said, I still think both will be immediately eligible due to covid, coaching changes, etc.
Give the kid a break. Well, it is the NCAA.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I guess that is a good question. I guess we will see what the NCAA does with this. Seems like it is going to be a cluster **** this season trying to figure it out.
He couldn't have been allowed to play last year due to Covid, because Covid wasn't a thing yet at the time the season started. So he must have used his 'one time transfer'.

With that line of thinking, it would seem they will allow another transfer due to Covid /or wanting to follow his coach /or the goodness of their heart?

I would think we might know fairly soon though? Certainly by the end of the school year which is almost here. When is the last day at ISU this year anyway?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This would be the starting lineup I expect if the roster stays as it is

I have (as of now) --

Hunter
Kalscheur
Hinson
Kunc
Foster
---
+Grill as a sixth man playing starter-like minutes

But the Grill > Kunc variation is at least probable, too.

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron