Burton should start over Nader

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Burton for sure should be starting. He's better than Nader at every aspect of the game.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Nader is pressing a little bit as of late. I think moving him out of the starting lineup will not help him play better. There is enough minutes for both Nader and Burton to play a ton. For us to be really good, we need to get Nader playing better and I don't think you do that by banishing him to the bench.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Talent wise, I agree that Burton has been playing better, unfortunately, we'd have basically zero bench guys to create a spark and I think Nader is too fragile mentally to be demoted. Kind of sad, but I don't see Nader responding well. Burton has been phenomenal!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I am chuckling more and more at the HYSTERIA!!!! about ISU having to rebuild next year. Look at that OU team, they lose every single player who made a contribution tonight except for Woodard.

Now look at ISU...we have one of our most clutch shooters ever coming back. We have Thomas who continues to improve on both ends coming back. We have Burton who looks to be a complete physical mismatch and knockdown shooter coming back. Morris may even be coming back. Then we have two top JUCO players who are likely as good a bet as most newcomers to contribute.

I'm excited about next season. We may not start in the top 25 or ranked at all, but the "experts" who are so obsessed and convinced that ISU won't make the tournament could be eating their words.

I'll buy more into your optimism when I see a few of those front court guys here on campus, first, and then on the floor. I think you might be shocked at just how tough its going to be for next year without Niang's versatile scoring and Monte running things. If Carter, Ernst, and Long are in our top 7 (rotation), I think we're... idk. Really hope I'm wrong.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think Nader is pressing a little bit as of late. I think moving him out of the starting lineup will not help him play better. There is enough minutes for both Nader and Burton to play a ton. For us to be really good, we need to get Nader playing better and I don't think you do that by banishing him to the bench.

Just curious, was Nader guarding Cousins because we put Monte on Hield now and then, or did a switch just occur on some plays? Him vs. Cousins was a bad matchup. Yet, I thought he helped us in the UNI game when we couldn't guard Washpun. Hopefully Nader will bounce back.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Nader has had a lot of clutch games in short career already. I think it's more that our fans just tend to look for someone to pick at and with a 7 man rotation it's often going to be Nader now that Thomas is playing all around good basketball.

This simply is not true.

Nader gets picked on for good reason. He routinely demonstrates the lowest basketball IQ by making bonehead play after bonehead play. Occasionally he has good games against mediocre competetition, but against the elite he often struggles and fails. On offense he makes poor decisions, often driving to the net at poor angles and pins himself between the baseline and well positioned defenders. Defensively he is often flat footed, making it relatively easy to blow by him. What gets me the most though, is the regularity in which he guards elite shooters WITH HIS HANDS AT HIS SIDES. He was the biggest reason we lost the UNI game, and he did it at least 3 times in the 2nd half. Get your hands up and in the shooters face so they can't get easy, open looks and shoot over you. I'd expect this from a freshman not a senior.

Nader is is own worst enemy and it's high time he sits more fore it. Obviously we don't have the luxury of NOT playing him, and whether or not he starts really isn't he biggest concern for me. What is though, is him getting minutes when his play and circumstances don't dictate it. McKay, Niang, Burton, Monte, and Matt need to be the 5 that get 33+ a game (fouls and injuries not withstanding). In crunch Nader should NEVER be on the floor unless he has to be as he is a mistake (on both ends of the floor) waiting to happen.

Burton looked like a legitimate 1st round pick tonight. It's a shame Naz is out as that (useful) body is what we direly need coming off the bench. But Proehm shouldn't artificially create a "bench" player and compromise Burton's minutes.

Unfortunately Cooke looks like a zero and we don't seem to have anyone else "capable" of playing. This team will go as far as the main 5 take them with the occassional chip in from Nader.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I'll buy more into your optimism when I see a few of those front court guys here on campus, first, and then on the floor. I think you might be shocked at just how tough its going to be for next year without Niang's versatile scoring and Monte running things. If Carter, Ernst, and Long are in our top 7 (rotation), I think we're... idk. Really hope I'm wrong.

How can you possibly diss Long?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
He played good defense on him. Woodard made a really low percentage shot over him in the last few minutes. Not much you can do about that.

He got caught napping several times (flat footed, screwing up the defense), and (as usual) he didn't have his hands up while guarding an elite shooter. After the UNI game in which Nader got burned (for the EXACT same thing) repeatedly, you'd think he'd learn against a far superior opponent.

We've looked like poop most of the year so I was happy with the overall performance and especially with Burton's. Untimely TOs, poor clutch FT shooting (missing front end's of 1 and 1's typcial), and some poor defense by Nader and McKay really did us in.

Matt Thomas played a hell of a game defensively. He had a wretched freshman campaign, to a spottty sophmore campaign, to a very good junior one. The defensive improvement is stunning. From a guy who's bagged on him consistently, it's obvious that he's worked his *** off in the offseason. Much appreciated, Matt.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
How can you possibly diss Long?

Not dissing him whatsoever. But he will need time to progress to be ready for bigboy ball. It was hard for Matt and even Monte when they were freshmen, and they were 4-star guys coming in.

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
Imo Burton is a better match up on 2/3s and Nader is a better match up on 3/4s. Burton has been better at 3pt shots and drives to the basket as far as %s go, so far. Nader might be best served as a backup 3/4on this team. Idk. Something to watch I think.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
I think Oklahoma is a Final 4 team (come March)
I think we are too... My point is we need everybody to contribute, starting or otherwise, and yes let Coach P. do his job.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
There are plenty of minutes to get Burton to 30. Can't have Georges playing 38 minutes every game.

Burton was great tonight, but I did notice Nadar effectively hedging to help Thomas on Hield and at least on one play Burton left too much gap and Hield spun easily to the rim.

Defense is much better this year and while Nadar has his faults, his length/strength are important to this improved defense.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Nader just needs to quit forcing up so many shots. The way this team is built Burton is the perfect 6th man right now. We are already shallow in the rotation so we need someone to score off the bench.

I cringe every time he hoists up a 3 or drives to the basket with one than one guy under there. He just seems to drive the lane and get in trouble, and his 3 point % has to be pretty bad. His defense is ok, but he tends to sag off his man too much, leaving wide open 3 point shots. Just needs a little more focus on defense and needs to wait for his chances to score.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Nader might be the 6th best player on this team, but for that he doesn't deserve some of the dislike he gets. He's miles ahead of numbers 7 and lower. Be glad he's there. Imagine the roster without him.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Nader might be the 6th best player on this team, but for that he doesn't deserve some of the dislike he gets. He's miles ahead of numbers 7 and lower. Be glad he's there. Imagine the roster without him.
Have people been calling for him to be kicked off the team?

Nader is not playing as well as he can, but many on CF have refused to accept Nader for the type of player he is. It's a message board so when he fails to live up to their fantasies, it is on Nader.

Benching Nader would be a horrible idea. He is a carrot guy.