Bowl Game gift packages

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I don't understand how the players can accept these items and remain eligible?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The NCAA allows it, up to a $500 total value.
On top of the $350 they allow schools to spend on each player.

I don't get it- most of them are already getting free tuition, room, and board, not to mention game day perks, travel, and a bazillion extra services provided exclusively for athletes. Why do they need close to $1,000 of extra gifts on top of that? I mean, I certainly understand how hard it can be for athletes to stay in school, but criminy; they haven't done anything that warrants such a ridiculous amount of lavish reward.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I don't get it- most of them are already getting free tuition, room, and board, not to mention game day perks, travel, and a bazillion extra services provided exclusively for athletes. Why do they need close to $1,000 of extra gifts on top of that? I mean, I certainly understand how hard it can be for athletes to stay in school, but criminy; they haven't done anything that warrants such a ridiculous amount of lavish reward.

Agreed. I can understand a smaller gift to give the athlete something to remember the experience by, like a ring or minted coin or something ($150 or less). But this is ridiculous and I'm surprised the NCAA allows this with all of the other strict rules.

rhlentz

Nov 27, 2006
Ames, IA

maybe the millions of dollars in revenue they bring in?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
maybe the millions of dollars in revenue they bring in?
Revenue that goes right back to support the budget financing all of the money being spent on them. There are VERY few schools in the country that turn an actual profit, when all is said and done. Even though the "athletic department" might run a budget surplus, there are other bank accounts involved with operations that do not; it's an accounting and technicalities thing.

hook40

Nov 6, 2007
SE Iowa
Heck, we used to get pretty nice packages just for the Big 12 Tournament. Playstations, watches, bags, portable tv's, etc.