Bomb Cyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
upload_2018-1-3_11-10-24-jpeg.52772

I didn't realize they stopped making these in '94

Would love to look through a 1946 one since I know two Class of '48 alumni here in the Twin Cities.

Reactions: Cyclone90

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Best name for a weather event, ever. It sounds like something involving Hakeem Butler.

Also, I'm in line to be affected by this cool-sounding storm but just 2.5 inches of snow.

Reactions: Cycsk

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Not anything new. The east coast (and even the midwest) have seen several cyclones 'bomb out'.

It's funny how we get some obscure weather term that turns into a buzz word for the rest of the season. I think we found this season's!

Bombogenesis!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Would love to look through a 1946 one since I know two Class of '48 alumni here in the Twin Cities.

Check them out in the Alumni Center on Campus

or here
http://digitalcollections.lib.iastate.edu/bombs

It's a little slow and cumbersome to navigate, but it's worked for me in the past.

We've picked up Bombs at yard sales over the years. I think we have a '43 and a '45. I've seen the '48 but didn't purchase. Also have a '19, which is really interesting to look through at the pictures, seeing how it's nearly 100 years old now.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I'm Outraged!!!! I just can't believe how absolutely awful and terrible the world has become.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Imagine there's no winter bomb cyclone....its easy if you try.
No mean people below us above us only sky
Imagine all the people....living for today...ayay...
Imagine no countries, it isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for... just journalists to rule.....

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They (the Northeast) get about 2-4 of these each winter season. It's simply a low pressure system that deepens rapidly as it moves up the coastline into the Atlantic. Depending on the location, it can mean everything from heavy rains to a blizzard. This one will be particularly strong, but the more Eastward track will keep most of the really bad weather out to sea.
A meteorologist was explaining that this morning. If the barometric pressure drops by 24 or more millibars in 24 hours it is a bomb condition because I guess the pressure drops like a bomb.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Made up name for a storm by the media to create some buzz. Last I heard on the radio this morning was 6-12" out of this storm in the NYC area - sounds like a regular Iowa winter blizzard to me?
A friend of mine lives in Virginia Beach, and he's reporting 50-60 mph winds to go with lots of snow, and low temps for the area. Lots of folks without power. We may be more used to this weather in Iowa, but this is a pretty big storm, regardless.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
A friend of mine lives in Virginia Beach, and he's reporting 50-60 mph winds to go with lots of snow, and low temps for the area. Lots of folks without power. We may be more used to this weather in Iowa, but this is a pretty big storm, regardless.

Agree, especially for those in the southern half of the east coast. I just think it's a little extreme is all, especially for the northeast coast states that probably get a storm like this every year or two.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As others have said, this is what has been called a Nor'Easter for about 200 years... but that sounds ye olde so twitter won't care.

But if you put a scary new name on it, then the uneducated will freak out, watch more TV and you can sell more advertising. Step 3 Profit.

Idiocracy is already here...