Boise State a lock for a BCS bowl

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
We have seen that a team can go 4-4 in the big 12, make it to the big 12 championship game, win the big 12 championship, and get an automatic bcs bowl
I don't think that's more unfair than Boise going undefeated and getting a bcs bowl.

Going to a BCS bowl is a much different thing than going to the BCS championship game. If they go undefeated, I don't have a problem with them in a BCS bowl. They've shown in the past that they belong.

I completely disagree with this. Boise State will not be one of the 8 best teams at the end of the year, undefeated or not.

Teams like this are the reason we are seeing alot of schools schedule a cakewalk non-conference schedule. What advantage do they have beating themselves up, and potentially taking a few losses, when teams like Boise can tip-toe through their schedule.

Why do you think we have seen teams like Boise and Utah knock of BCS school? I think it is because their schedules haven't put them through the mental and physical rigors as playing a Big 12, SEC or even a Pac 10 schedule.

Just look at Alabama last year, who had to play Clemson, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Florida. You can't tell me they weren't just worn down by their bowl game.

Figure out a way to schedule a tougher schedule. I know teams don't want to come to Boise to play you...then go somewhere and play them. Then you deserve a shot.

The BCS has nothing to do with the 8 best teams in college football. It's about the 2 best. That is the entire purpose of the BCS, to put #1 vs #2 in a championship game, and give favorable TV matchups to the bowls that lost their traditional tie-ins.

Boise has trouble scheduling people in part because of that god-awful field they play on. Who wants to go play on that thing?

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Boise has trouble scheduling people in part because of that god-awful field they play on. Who wants to go play on that thing?

If these teams are so good, then they may have to pay teams or schedule neutral site games with good competition. I realize that the situation is a catch 22 for the Non-BCS teams but thats the way things are and thats the way things are going to be until at least 2014.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
They won't be a lock because if BYU runs the table with wins over Oklahoma and Florida State they will be the highest non BCS team ranked and they would get the auto berth

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think they are a "lock" to go undefeated. There is at least one school on their schedule that could give them some problems........Nevada-Reno. This is an old rivalry, and the games are always good. Last year Boise won by I think a touchdown in Reno. Two years ago, Nevada lost in Boise by 69 to 67, in 4 overtimes. Not saying they will win this year, but it is always a battle between those two schools.......anything can happen, no matter what the records are up to that point, rankings, or where the game is played. Remind you of any other rivalry?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I say give them all BCS games... If they go undefeated against the schedule they have, then they earned it. Maybe after a few years of them going to BCS bowls will cause the BCS conferences to stop running away from them in the non conference schedule. Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno, TCU, etc have said they will play anyone, anywhere but teams won't even give them a one time date...

I think alot of people underestimate some of the talent on these teams. There is a huge recruiting base out west and teams like Boise State and Fresno State are cleaning up on the questionable character guys and keeping them in line...

Probably the best option would be to take Boise, Nevada, and Fresno and put them in the Mountain West. That would put their conference about on par with the ACC.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
They won't be a lock because if BYU runs the table with wins over Oklahoma and Florida State they will be the highest non BCS team ranked and they would get the auto berth

Not to mention Utah and TCU who are both ranked teams. They will have played 4 ranked teams which is on par with what BCS teams should do to prove themselves.

I think that the mountian west conference would be next possible conference to join. Boise state will again get left out in the cold.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Not to mention Utah and TCU who are both ranked teams. They will have played 4 ranked teams which is on par with what BCS teams should do to prove themselves.

I think that the mountian west conference would be next possible conference to join. Boise state will again get left out in the cold.

If Boise would join that conference then the MWC should get an auto berth. Don't discount Colorado St. either as a team that could cause problems for Utah,BYU and TCU in that conference

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If BYU or Boise make it undefeated this year they deserve to make a BCS bowl because in the non conference they went out an played a really good football team.

Not if BYU runs the table. If BYU goes undefeated, they would have beaten Oklahoma, Florida St, Utah, TCU, and underrated Colorado St and Air Force teams. BYU will easily be in the BCS top 8 and would jump Boise St, meaning BYU would get the "auto" bid over Boise St and then Boise St would have to wish on their lucky stars to get the other "at large" bid (and probably fail), just like what happened last year.

This.

If these teams are so good, then they may have to pay teams or schedule neutral site games with good competition. I realize that the situation is a catch 22 for the Non-BCS teams but thats the way things are and thats the way things are going to be until at least 2014.

Good luck with this one after Saturday night. You think many top-notch teams are going to want to face the likes of Utah, TCU, BYU, and Boise St on neutral fields after Oklahoma lost on one that for all purposes was a home game for them?

If Boise would join that conference then the MWC should get an auto berth. Don't discount Colorado St. either as a team that could cause problems for Utah,BYU and TCU in that conference

Seems to be more to it than just "wishful thinking." I even read an article about it on ESPN a couple of months back, and doing a Google search lists the article I read, but it doesn't link correctly anymore.

Boise State to the Mountain West? Perhaps - College Football Nation - Bowl Championship Series

Personally I think they should add Fresno St and Nevada as well, but I can understand why the MWC would want to forgo the conference championship game (why cost a division champion the chance to go to a BCS bowl because they lose the championship game). Perhaps that will happen if/when after the MWC is named a BCS conference after 2014.