Blame Texas

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
I don't understand the hate for Nebraska. This league was screwed by Texas when we added them to start the Big 12 and they took over the league and never budged on revenue sharing and a TV agreement.

Texas forced Nebraska and every other team in this conference to make the best decision for themselves. I guarantee you that if Jamie was the first one offered to the Big Ten, he would have taken it too. I legitimately still don't count out the Iowa State possibility to the Big Ten. It makes a lot more sense the travel and tradition reasons to add Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri to the Big Ten to form a West Division with Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Think of the travel for the smaller sports going from New Jersey to Nebraska. Maryland to Nebraska...you could say the Pac Ten is doing it, but I think they are ridiculously stupid in doing it. What a great trip it will be to go from Seattle to College Station!

Reactions: burn587

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why blame Texas? We knew exactly who they were (or at the very least we were warned) and what the end result was going to be when we let them in the conference. Perhaps we should be blaming ourselves for letting OUR greed get the best of us 15 years ago...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
1) By most accounts, Texas is still in the Big XII pending NU's announcement. NU drew first blood here.

2) Those same accounts state that Texas would remain, had NU remained.

3) NU has had the chance to equalize the revenues and voted against it. Why? Because they stood to make more money as well. Not at much as UT, but more than equal distribution.

I have no love for UT in this. But NU deserves the wrath it's getting.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I don't understand the hate for Nebraska. This league was screwed by Texas when we added them to start the Big 12 and they took over the league and never budged on revenue sharing and a TV agreement.

Texas forced Nebraska and every other team in this conference to make the best decision for themselves. I guarantee you that if Jamie was the first one offered to the Big Ten, he would have taken it too. I legitimately still don't count out the Iowa State possibility to the Big Ten. It makes a lot more sense the travel and tradition reasons to add Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri to the Big Ten to form a West Division with Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Think of the travel for the smaller sports going from New Jersey to Nebraska. Maryland to Nebraska...you could say the Pac Ten is doing it, but I think they are ridiculously stupid in doing it. What a great trip it will be to go from Seattle to College Station!
Some of the potential matchups seem more like a professional league. Maybe interest will develop over time. But IMO the rivalries between neighbors are better. You see the same thing in Iowa HS football, where school size instead of population is the determining factor.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Interesting that the Texas schools will be in 3 differences conferences in the last 15 years leaving 2 conferences destroyed in their wake. Coincidence?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Interesting that the Texas schools will be in 3 differences conferences in the last 15 years leaving 2 conferences destroyed in their wake. Coincidence?

Actually, from what I have previously read, SMU and TCU and the rest of the corrupt smaller schools had more to do with the SWC being dismantled than Texas did.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
1) By most accounts, Texas is still in the Big XII pending NU's announcement. NU drew first blood here.

2) Those same accounts state that Texas would remain, had NU remained.

3) NU has had the chance to equalize the revenues and voted against it. Why? Because they stood to make more money as well. Not at much as UT, but more than equal distribution.

I have no love for UT in this. But NU deserves the wrath it's getting.
DAMN STRAIGHT!!! Huck the Fuskers. TO, I hope there's a nice little corner of Hell waiting for you and your overweening prideful arrogance.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
yeah, they were all cheating and Texas was not and Texas actually was having a hard time competing in a lot of years.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Texas is the one that created this condition. The conference could survive without NU

Maybe - but how's it any diffent then than what NU is doing?

It's not like they're forcing the other 5 to go to the Pac 10. That's just smart on their part.

Again, no love for the Longhorns. It's pretty hollow for NU to go "it's not us!".

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
Ultimately the Big 12 is dissolving over a power struggle between Nebraska and Texas. I just think the ultimate deciding factor in the fate of the conference was when we all let Texas in and they destroyed the league. But we will see what comes of it. I don't see why to worry. We will be fine. A lot of dominoes are now going to fall all over the country. Ultimately I think the Big East will probably die just like the Big 12 will. So we won't be the only school looking for a new home.

The SEC will make a power move by looking to add teams like Georgia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Clemson or Virginia Tech.

In turn the ACC will look to add the remaining team from the Big East.

Who the heck knows how this will all turn out!

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Ultimately the Big 12 is dissolving over a power struggle between Nebraska and Texas. I just think the ultimate deciding factor in the fate of the conference was when we all let Texas in and they destroyed the league. But we will see what comes of it. I don't see why to worry. We will be fine. A lot of dominoes are now going to fall all over the country. Ultimately I think the Big East will probably die just like the Big 12 will. So we won't be the only school looking for a new home.

The SEC will make a power move by looking to add teams like Georgia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Clemson or Virginia Tech.

In turn the ACC will look to add the remaining team from the Big East.

Who the heck knows how this will all turn out!

doubtful, it wouldn't increase their footprint.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Texas is the one that created this condition. The conference could survive without NU

And NU could have changed that by voting for equal revenue sharing. They didn't.

Also UT is taking their closest conference friends along to the next conference. Who is NU taking?

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
You still have absolutely no proof that Nebraska isn't taking anyone. Texas has always been the loudmouth older brother. Tom Osborne will always play everything close to the chest. He did it in coaching and he will continue to. Until Friday comes I am not believing everything that is being sources to orangebloods.com!! For the most part...ultimately their main goal in all of this is to make Nebraska to be the villain. Ultimately, this conference has been doomed from the start!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Texas is to blame because they will be the ones blowing up the conference. NU could be replaced and the Big 12 maintained. In fact, I think this is still a possibility. But if they decide NU's leaving gives them the opportunity to hitch their wagons to PART of the conference and seek greener pastures, I'll hold them exclusively responsible.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You still have absolutely no proof that Nebraska isn't taking anyone.

Do you have proof that they are? Are they taking all six that aren't going with UT?

Ultimately, this conference has been doomed from the start!

It survived for 14 years, and it sounds to me like if NU declares in, the conference goes on, a receives a big fat check from FOX to boot.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Do you have proof that they are? Are they taking all six that aren't going with UT?

It survived for 14 years, and it sounds to me like if NU declares in, the conference goes on, a receives a big fat check from FOX to boot.
True, but TO is ****** because NU is no longer the only superpower in its conference. I think he expects all other teams to bow down and kiss his ***. Hence, the Fuskers run away.

ngold74

Dec 5, 2009
The Big 12 could very easily remain if Nebraska left, but Texas would rather go to the Pac-10. It looks like Texas trying to get Baylor into the Pac-10 over Colorado may also lead to Colorado jumping early as well.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The Big 12 could very easily remain if Nebraska left, but Texas would rather go to the Pac-10. It looks like Texas trying to get Baylor into the Pac-10 over Colorado may also lead to Colorado jumping early as well.

That makes alot of sense. Also might explain this "meeting to save the conference" tomorrow.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Is anyone else puzzled why orangebloods knows so much about both the Big 10 deal and the Pac 10 deal? - Texas is using them as spin doctors....interesting tweet from Billy Fennelly yesterday that said the media and fans have no clue what is really going on. Why can every university but Texas (Mizzou aside) keep their mouth shut about what is going on? I mean all the sudden orangebloods is the expert - even admitting that other universities in this discussion are calling him to find out what is going on - and is being interviewed on ESPN. My guess is this was a big career move for him, but again, why him?

I can just see JP calling up CW and telling him to run a story. Ha!

Help Support Us

Become a patron