Bird Migration and Misc Birding Thread

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
A robin nested near one of our feeders and watched her feeding her babies this afternoon. Every time I picked up my phone to take a picture she flew off. Coincidence? Or sensing the danger of an old lady with an iPhone?

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: Chitowncy and NWICY

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have installed and reinstalled Merlin several times. If I let the recording go for over 25 minutes it will not load for listening or reviewing. Now I do 15 minute maximum. I have 34 birds in a 25 minutes recording yesterday, would love to review it. Any ideas or solutions?

Mar 21, 2021
In the past week a golden eagle has been soaring around my backyard. First time I've ever seen one. Didn't even know there was such a species. Looks like a very dark grey bald eagle.

Reactions: mkadl

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
In the past week a golden eagle has been soaring around my backyard. First time I've ever seen one. Didn't even know there was such a species. Looks like a very dark grey bald eagle.
Those are tricky...could easily be a juvenile bald eagle:

Reactions: mkadl and 2122

Mar 21, 2021
Those are tricky...could easily be a juvenile bald eagle:

Chatted today with the guy in charge of the local watershed (Shellrock) district and he informed me that there is a nesting pair of golden eagles on Albert Lea Lake, which is around 4 miles away from my place. Pretty good chance the bird I've been seeing is of that pair. Same size as an adult bald eagle. But, there is an active bald eagle nest a few hundred yards away, so you never know.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
My kids and I saw a couple of what appeared to be 2 American white pelicans flying over Boone today.

Things I didn’t think I’d see in Iowa.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Squirrels found my oranges , they love them. Will buy a feeder.
Yesterday I put out a small plastic container (like dip comes in) by a nail to the top of a fence post and then half full of jelly. Have done this often in the past because it stays put. Last night it rained. Today it holds grape soup.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My kids and I saw a couple of what appeared to be 2 American white pelicans flying over Boone today.

Things I didn’t think I’d see in Iowa.
American White Pelican is a fairly common migrant along major rivers. It does not nest in Iowa though nests along the Mississippi in Illinois, locales in WI, and MN.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AllInForISU

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Chatted today with the guy in charge of the local watershed (Shellrock) district and he informed me that there is a nesting pair of golden eagles on Albert Lea Lake, which is around 4 miles away from my place. Pretty good chance the bird I've been seeing is of that pair. Same size as an adult bald eagle. But, there is an active bald eagle nest a few hundred yards away, so you never know.
Golden Eagles are very wary birds and nest only in rugged mountainous terrain. It is not associated often with lakes or rivers unless they are attracted to geese or other concentrated prey. Fish is not a major food item. I would be dubious of any May sighting of Midwest Golden Eagle, of nesting, or along waterways.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Is anybody else seeing a lot of house finches? Merlin says they are rare but if I turn on sound ID it is usually the first bird I get hits for. When it’s the female, I have a hard time visually telling it from a lot of other birds, but I see at least one male every day, that is easy to visually identify. There were three males on one feeder at the same time.

I also have a hard time visually telling the mourning doves from Eurasian collared-doves, but Merlin hits on both for sound and I can now distinguish them by their call. If they are just pecking around under the feeder on the ground, I don’t have a clue which is which.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is anybody else seeing a lot of house finches? Merlin says they are rare but if I turn on sound ID it is usually the first bird I get hits for. When it’s the female, I have a hard time visually telling it from a lot of other birds, but I see at least one male every day, that is easy to visually identify. There were three males on one feeder at the same time.

I also have a hard time visually telling the mourning doves from Eurasian collared-doves, but Merlin hits on both for sound and I can now distinguish them by their call. If they are just pecking around under the feeder on the ground, I don’t have a clue which is which.

Comparison linky:

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012