BigXII Gymnastics Championships w/ 2 y/o

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Going to this at Hilton tonight with my family. Have a 2 y/o and we've never been to a meet before. Any suggestions from anyone who's gone with young kids? Or just general tips on how to enjoy the event? Also, I was able to find the rotation order. About how long does a rotation last usually?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
With only four teams, it will move fairly quickly and you will always have something to watch. I would guess 2k-3k for people, so you should have room to spread out. IIRC, the floor exercise takes the longest. I would say you will have about 2 hours of time on events.

• Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We went to the meet a few weeks ago with Missouri & Iowa with our almost 2 year old. I basically just let her run around as much as possible because she's not a fan of sitting still. There was plenty of room for that, and I didn't notice anyone looking annoyed or anything. Lots of kids were there.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
With only four teams, it will move fairly quickly and you will always have something to watch. I would guess 2k-3k for people, so you should have room to spread out. IIRC, the floor exercise takes the longest. I would say you will have about 2 hours of time on events.
Thanks for the info! This really helps. We'd only planned on staying a couple hours so it sounds like we'll get to see most if not all of the event then.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We took 6,4 and 8 months a couple weeks ago. Definitely get a clone cone.

I like to sit near the middle if I can just to see more events. ISU usually starts on vault, then goes uneven bars, beam, floor.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
With the weather I would think a fairly light crowd tonight. Like others have said, there should be room to spread out and move around. A Clone cone usually keeps us busy for a rotation. And yes, it should go fast with everyone doing a rotation every time. Not really a bad seat, there is always action going on somewhere. And chances are if they are able they will probably be handing out any leftover promo stuff to get rid of it (really only softball left to attend).

The last few times we have been to gymnastics there was only one Clone Cone stand up so the line took forever. Either get one before the meet starts or during a rotation. We went out when they switched and missed ISU on bars.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Going to this at Hilton tonight with my family. Have a 2 y/o and we've never been to a meet before. Any suggestions from anyone who's gone with young kids? Or just general tips on how to enjoy the event? Also, I was able to find the rotation order. About how long does a rotation last usually?

I can't say specifically about the meet, but a friend and I took her 7 month old and 2.5 year old to two Iowa State basketball games this year (Oklahoma and Kansas). Both kids were EXTREMELY good. The 2.5 year old paid surprisingly close attention to the game. But I didn't catch most of either game ;)

Be sure to point out Cy. Sit on the aisle and have try to have an extra seat or two to put all of your crap.