Big twelve tournament

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've never went to the big 12 tournament but I'm thinking about it this year. A few questions.

Best way to get tickets?

Best place to stay?

Anything else I'm missing?

I assume Kelly's is the best bar to go to.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
I've never went to the big 12 tournament but I'm thinking about it this year. A few questions.

Best way to get tickets? Cash

Best place to stay? Motel

Anything else I'm missing? Beer & Food

I assume Kelly's is the best bar to go to.
Just trying to help out.:smile:

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
There are a few hotels in Westport, but they are probably already booked. The teams usually stay at the Crowne Plaza area which is fun and a short cab ride to where ever you may want to go.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Best place to get tickets?

-- Purchase them through ISU but I do believe the request deadline has passed. You can always scalp them outside the arena.

Best place to stay?

-- Embassy Suites in Westport if you plan to hang out in the Westport for your nightlife (Kelly's, Beaumont Club....)
-- There is a very nice Hilton that is in the downtown area. They are in the process of completing the Light District downtown around the arena which is supposed to have a lot of restaurants/bars. You would be within walking distance to the arena.

Missing anything?

-- Definitely go to Gates BBQ or if you want to drive head to Arthur Bryant's (original location). Some of the best BBQ you will ever have.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like both Gates and Jack Stack. I just had some Jack Stack last weekend.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
-- Definitely go to Gates BBQ or if you want to drive head to Arthur Bryant's (original location). Some of the best BBQ you will ever have.

Hiiii may I help ya?? You'll understand people if you go to Gates...and if you go, don't wait to be asked what you want, you have to yellat them and tell them what you want.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Scalpers at the arena site aren't the way to go. You will be paying $40 per game for the first 2 games and then much, much more if we had it past that.

Both times I have gone, I bought them once off of ebay and the second time I bought them from an OU fan off their message board.

My advice would be to buy tickets before you go if you want to save some money.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hiiii may I help ya?? You'll understand people if you go to Gates...and if you go, don't wait to be asked what you want, you have to yellat them and tell them what you want.

Indeed. You have to be prepared to order before you're physically in the building. The first time I went, I was like 9th or 10th in line and it was somehow already my turn to order -- with my feet just inside the door.

CYZMIC

Mar 9, 2006
How far in advance can one expect to find tickets available online? (Ebay, etc.) TIA

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Indeed. You have to be prepared to order before you're physically in the building. The first time I went, I was like 9th or 10th in line and it was somehow already my turn to order -- with my feet just inside the door.

Also if you want what ever meat you get on a bun you have to tell them or you'll get it on bread.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Have to disagree on the ticket thing. My friend and I have gone to about 5 of the last 6 tournaments and you should be able to buy a single ticket for either of the first day's sessions for $20 max. Friday gets a little more pricey and then Saturday is the top end of the price curve. Championship game day is not bad at all because there's only 2 team's fans left. We always bought all-session tickets before we went just for the peace of mind and not having to deal with trying to buy a ticket every single session but that may not have been the cheapest way to go.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Have to disagree on the ticket thing. My friend and I have gone to about 5 of the last 6 tournaments and you should be able to buy a single ticket for either of the first day's sessions for $20 max. Friday gets a little more pricey and then Saturday is the top end of the price curve. Championship game day is not bad at all because there's only 2 team's fans left. We always bought all-session tickets before we went just for the peace of mind and not having to deal with trying to buy a ticket every single session but that may not have been the cheapest way to go.

Agree...target the fans of the teams that get beat the first day.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
First thing that comes to my mind anytime someone says K.C. is Gates...Best BBQ i've had in the midwest.

And I've gone to the tournament every year since Rahshon's been here, but I never really find the "hot spot" for Cyclone fans. In Dallas we found one that was all KU fans (and suprisingly they were all very nice!) Is there a certain bar that Clone fans will be at?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like both Gates and Jack Stack. I just had some Jack Stack last weekend.

I freaking love getting the dinner for 2 from Jack Stack. Huge pile of food and my wife is a little lady so I get to eat my fill.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Anyone know when you'll know if you got tickets through ISU? We put in for 4. If you don't get tickets and have to buy off the street be prepared to pay well over face for the early rounds. If the north teams are out of it by the late rounds you can usually get some sessions dirt cheap.

Hoping to stay downtown area near Kelly's if we can, already looking for a hotel. I'll ditto the Gates and Aurther Bryant's, that is some good eating! The hot beef sandwich at AB's is great. At Gates if you get one of the combos you can't go wrong. Get some ham, ribs, and other various meat on it that is great. Like someone said, you better look at a menu before you go in else they'll yell at you if you take too long.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006

Are you talking in KC or the places down South? I think it is much more expensive in KC, as more fans go there than Dallas or OK.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
First thing that comes to my mind anytime someone says K.C. is Gates...Best BBQ i've had in the midwest.

And I've gone to the tournament every year since Rahshon's been here, but I never really find the "hot spot" for Cyclone fans. In Dallas we found one that was all KU fans (and suprisingly they were all very nice!) Is there a certain bar that Clone fans will be at?
Kelley's in Wesport is legendary in KC for being wall to wall Cyclone fans.

The Power and Light district by the Spring Center will be great when they get it going but I think there's only going to be a few places open by March.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS

I live in KC area... You should definitely go to Kelly's if not Mickey's in Overland Park, KS. They will be filled with Cyclone fans. I sure will be there except when Cyclone plays... and I hope I don't have to be at Kelly's because Cyclones are going to WIN the WHOLE thing and I will be at the arena witnessing every minute of it!!!