Big 12s...sad

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Really? You had 2800 people in a 20,000 seat arena on Friday night when they played TTU on a neutral court vs 4-5k in an arena that seats 14k in Ames for a regular season conference game.

You can't compare regular season conference games when you have a home crowd vs. a neutral site game. You are comparing apples to oranges, but if your analogy makes you feel better good for you.
1. Chesapeake Energy arena seats a little over 18,000.
2. The female basketball players of the Big 12 deserve a "big-time" arena to play their conference tournament in - you know, like other conferences do. Chesapeake Energy is a big time arena. Municipal Arena in KC, on the other hand, is not.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
2. The female basketball players of the Big 12 deserve a "big-time" arena to play their conference tournament in - you know, like other conferences do. Chesapeake Energy is a big time arena. Municipal Arena in KC, on the other hand, is not.

Are you boycotting the tournament in 2020?

Reactions: ISC

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
1:44 left in the Baylor/TCU rout. The two student managers are in uniform today for Baylor and they just checked in. Kind of cool to let them "walk on" for the day.. One picked up a rebound so she's in the box score. The other got to attempt a three even though she has a cast on her arm so ditto for her to as she has a "stat".

Edit: Well, poop, flipped into this game late and just heard that Kristy Wallace tore her ACL last week.

The injured one (24) is a regular.
50 and 3 are the managers. They both played against Kansas State yesterday, also.

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Municipal Arena is right sized for the tournament, if the tournament was drawing 10,000 fans to the semis and finals I would agree but they are not keep it in a smaller environment and improve the fan experience.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Best thing for the B12 women's tourney would to get it back on the same week as the men's then work the game schedules out so you can attend both of your teams games if you so chose. Yes this was posted earlier in this thread by someone else but it bears repeating.

• Agree
Reactions: knowlesjam and ISC

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Love me some womens basketball but have a hard time justifying asking for personal time off when odds are, during normal years, I will take time off the next week for mens basketball, and hopefully time off the week after for a MBB tournament run.

And personally, womens NCAA basketball has gone from one of my favorite things ever to something that's just painful to watch now. Baylor and UCONN have ruined the sport.

UConn has not ruined the sport. They are fun to watch and play the game with incredible precision. Their biggest fault is they WIN and they play the game the right way. Its all finesse with UConn. IMO, not so with Baylor. JMO

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don't have an issue with how UCONN plays - I rarely agree with Geno but I do when he says the hope is he's improving all of women's basketball with what they do.

Problem is, no ones catching on, or catching up, and it seems like it's the same teams at the top for 10 years running

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Back to the original post (and likely intent) - IMO, the sooner the tournament returns to KC, the better. We've been to KC several times, Oklahoma CIty once. Our OC experience was fine, but it's a long trip, especially when we have a mediocre team. Most people have to justify time off from work, take vacation days, other. When we're not winning, the tournament loses out (and we're long time season ticket holders). Old or not, I liked the facility in KC for the women. It's not oversized and the acoustics produce a loud atmosphere. Given the same weekend as the men's tournament = a winner. With the hoped for and anticipated team improvement coming for next year and following year, we'll be in KC.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

I would be willing to bet that if you asked the ladies of the Big 12, most would prefer a "smaller" but, full arena rather than a mostly empty NBA arena

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The injured one (24) is a regular.
50 and 3 are the managers. They both played against Kansas State yesterday, also.

Thanks, wasn't paying close attention (having channel flipped into a game that was a rout). Didn't realize that was Natalie Chou with the soft cast.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would be willing to bet that if you asked the ladies of the Big 12, most would prefer a "smaller" but, full arena rather than a mostly empty NBA arena

Or they don't care. Most are used to playing in front of sparse crowds. Always thought it interesting that so many teams play in front of a 1000 or fewer fans most games. The chance to play in front of bigger crowds, say at ISU or Minnesota, doesn't seem to be the deciding factor for many. If crowds were a yuge thing than the Cyclone and Gopher rosters would be filled with 5-stars.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Or they don't care. Most are used to playing in front of sparse crowds. Always thought it interesting that so many teams play in front of a 1000 or fewer fans most games. The chance to play in front of bigger crowds, say at ISU or Minnesota, doesn't seem to be the deciding factor for many. If crowds were a yuge thing than the Cyclone and Gopher rosters would be filled with 5-stars.

I could be wrong but, I believe most of them do care. It's just that so few programs get great (or even good) crowd support for WBB that most players can't use croward size as a determining factor when they pick their schools

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Its amazing that the big 12 keeps tripping over it's own feet to make this tourney a not very good tourney on the Men's and womens side. It's almost unreal. When it's in Kansas City it's basically a sell out for every first round game. Yet, for some reason they have this thing where they don't want that. They want to satisfy a bunch of people who don't care about basketball to start with.

My theory is this. If they want to have it in OK City or Dallas. We all just don't go. Sucks not supporting our team. However, if Kansas, Kansas State, and our fans got together and said no. They would have enough poor turnout to make a final decision to keep it in K City and do it justice.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and riceville98

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I don't know, I've ready many comments by several of our recruits that the fan draw was something that "did" impress them about ISU and coming here. I do know that our opponents often do get amped up when there is a big crowd, and you'll often hear coaches say that a raucous crowd makes a lot of difference in the energy kids play with, so, yes, I do think crowd size matters a lot.

Not too many 5 star kids play for schools with low attendance numbers.

Minnesota was 33rd in attendance last year, so I don't think that is going to "impress" unless their number is a real number versus everyone else's "inflated" number.

Listen to South Carolina and Miss St. player interviews and how much they love their big crowds, that once were only the moniker of UConn and Tennessee.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I could be wrong but, I believe most of them do care. It's just that so few programs get great (or even good) crowd support for WBB that most players can't use croward size as a determining factor when they pick their schools

When ever they ask our players why they choose ISU almost everyone of them say they loved the crowds at Hilton. This is one of the reasons they wanted to come to ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't know, I've ready many comments by several of our recruits that the fan draw was something that "did" impress them about ISU and coming here. I do know that our opponents often do get amped up when there is a big crowd, and you'll often hear coaches say that a raucous crowd makes a lot of difference in the energy kids play with, so, yes, I do think crowd size matters a lot.

Not too many 5 star kids play for schools with low attendance numbers.

Minnesota was 33rd in attendance last year, so I don't think that is going to "impress" unless their number is a real number versus everyone else's "inflated" number.

Listen to South Carolina and Miss St. player interviews and how much they love their big crowds, that once were only the moniker of UConn and Tennessee.

Gopher numbers are closer to real cheeks in the seats IMHO. I was at their game versus Iowa and attendance was listed at 4182. Before I looked at the box score I was guessing close to 4000. Not bad for an afternoon where everyone was sitting down to watch the Vikings play Philly later. Was at a ISU league game this year where we listed 9764. Would have estimated 4000* for that game also. Don't think it's different bookkeeping as much as it's just that their ticket sales are closer to their actual attendance for one reason or another or so it seems when I've been there. Eye test when watching other Big 10 games is that they have to be near the top in that league for "real" attendance. Some of the reported attendance numbers are total manipulated BS, whether it's blocks of tickets purchased and never used or season ticket holders just buying and not attending.

* 4000 real people in the seats is still very good by WBB standards, it's just not 9000.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Back to the original post (and likely intent) - IMO, the sooner the tournament returns to KC, the better. We've been to KC several times, Oklahoma CIty once. Our OC experience was fine, but it's a long trip, especially when we have a mediocre team. Most people have to justify time off from work, take vacation days, other. When we're not winning, the tournament loses out (and we're long time season ticket holders). Old or not, I liked the facility in KC for the women. It's not oversized and the acoustics produce a loud atmosphere. Given the same weekend as the men's tournament = a winner. With the hoped for and anticipated team improvement coming for next year and following year, we'll be in KC.

Are you sure I didn't write this? Sounds just like us.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

The entire separation thing was all about Kim Mulkey thinking women's ball could pull the same crowds without needing the men's pull for support. Very short sighted and I can't wait for them to be joined again in KC. OKC is a blast with super facilities and Bricktown is def entertaining. I'm just ready to be back "home." Completely cross Dallas off any list for basketball. Terrible location.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gotta game tonight between Baylor and Texas. 40-39 3rd quarter, Baylor.

It's a shame that Baylor loses their first team Big 12 PG (and first team defense team also) just before the NCAA's. With her and Chou out they go from a strong nine deep to seven. Probably going to screw their NCAA seeding and Final Four chances.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Gotta game tonight between Baylor and Texas. 40-39 3rd quarter, Baylor.

It's a shame that Baylor loses their first team Big 12 PG (and first team defense team also) just before the NCAA's. With her and Chou out they go from a strong nine deep to seven. Probably going to screw their NCAA seeding and Final Four chances.
Feel sorry for the players.. but will never feel sorry for Baylor or their pathetic excuse of a human being coach

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron