Big 12 vs FCS teams

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Does anyone think that the Big 12 may eventually go the way of the Big Ten and not allow for the conference members to play anyone who is not an FBS school? I know we have a contract to play UNI a ridiculous amount of times in the next decade, along with NDSU this season, but just wanting to get other people's thoughts on the issue and whether you think the Big 12 would go that way. Even if you don't think the conference will go that route, would you be in favor of it?

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I do not think they will independently do it, but I do think a new division could make this a requirement.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Don't think so. The Big Ten can do that because half of their teams are no better than FCS teams. For the Big 12 and the SEC, the big dogs (Bama, OU, Baylor, Texas, Florida, etc) depend on those cupcake games to boost their records. They won't risk getting unnecessary losses if ALL the other conferences are not doing it.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I don't think they would do it but I would be in favor of it.

I don't think FBS opponents should be allowed to play FCS opponents. It at least shouldn't count towards bowl eligibility.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
From a fan perspective, I hope they do. There is nothing less interesting in college football than looking at the schedule and seeing one of these D2 teams coming up.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I bet it will happen at some point. That may not be until the Power 5 come up with some more defined set of rules for the future layout of the top of college football but it will happen.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If they wanted to implement this they need to set it up now to take effect in 10 years because that's how far scheduling goes out.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
From a fan perspective, I hope they do. There is nothing less interesting in college football than looking at the schedule and seeing one of these D2 teams coming up.

I don't know, is an FCS team really that much worse than a MAC or Sunbelt team, as far fan excitement goes?

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Don't forget to follow the money trail people. Division I teams love playing a lower division team because it means having the revenue of an extra home game. It is also a real boost to the lower division team financially. It can make the difference between staying at the Division II level instead of dropping to Division III.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I don't know, is an FCS team really that much worse than a MAC or Sunbelt team, as far fan excitement goes?

For me personally, yeah, not a ton but enough to matter. With a mid major there is still at least some name recognition, I might actually see one of those teams on a random Wednesday night some time down the road. With these D2 teams though it's just a combination of a level of apathy knowing that it's in reality a no win situation (which has been hashed out a million times over) and having zero recognition or interest in the likes of North Dakota State, UNI, Western Illinois, etc.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
For me personally, yeah, not a ton but enough to matter. With a mid major there is still at least some name recognition, I might actually see one of those teams on a random Wednesday night some time down the road. With these D2 teams though it's just a combination of a level of apathy knowing that it's in reality a no win situation (which has been hashed out a million times over) and having zero recognition or interest in the likes of North Dakota State, UNI, Western Illinois, etc.

Northwest Missouri State is D2. UNI and North Dakota State is D-IAA. They are higher than D2. There is a big difference between North Dakota State and Northwest Missouri State.

Here are the levels right now:

1. D-1A (FBS) Power 5
2. D-1A (FBS) Group of 5
3. D-1AA (FCS)
4. D2
5. D3

In my opinion, you should only play down one level. When the Power 5 break out into a separate division, then the level down will be the rest of D-1A and D-1AA will be 2 levels down. At that point, I think that we won't be playing any more teams at D-1AA. (And we never were and never will be playing D2 teams.)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Northwest Missouri State is D2. UNI and North Dakota State is D-IAA. They are higher than D2. There is a big difference between North Dakota State and Northwest Missouri State.

1. D-1A (FBS) Power 5
2. D-1A (FBS) Group of 5
3. D-1AA (FCS)
4. D2
5. D3

In my opinion, you should only play down one level. When the Power 5 break out into a separate division, then the level down will be the rest of D-1A and D-1AA will be 2 levels down. At that point, I think that we won't be playing any more teams at D-1AA. (And we never were and never will be playing D2 teams.)

I understand there's a difference. Most other people, unless it's a power 5 school, don't care.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Agree with this. I'm probably more interested in the NDSU game than Toledo, though only slightly.

Also, I think it depends on which lower-division school we are talking. UNI and NDSU are quite a bit more interesting than, say, Western Illinois.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

1. D-1A (FBS) Power 5
2. D-1A (FBS) Group of 5
3. D-1AA (FCS)
4. D2
5. D3

I'm well aware of the convoluted NCAA designations, I just don't agree with them. FCS will always be D2 in my mind.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
In hindsight, I'm in favor of ISU playing only 1-AA teams in the nonconference from now on, but only really bad ones.

OK, but really, at this point I've got no problem scheduling at least one cupcake each year. Would be nice to have at least one guaranteed win each season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

1. D-1A (FBS) Power 5
2. D-1A (FBS) Group of 5
3. D-1AA (FCS)
4. D2
5. D3

Im not convinced the MWC doesn't succeed in spite of the obvious coming big 5 split, pac12/big12 expansion mostly ignored a huge 30% chunk of the country with population growth where there is only 1 NFL team. Unless the power 5 split is truly drastically more crippling than bcs auto bids were I think we'll often see an MWC that's comperable to the weakest power 5.