Big 12 vs Big 5 in the noncon - Week 1

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
In the quest to land a Big 12 team in the first ever FBS playoff, performance in non-conference games versus teams from the other Big 5 conferences could be a factor for the individual contenders. In MBB, strength of conference is a big deal for landing at large beths, but the FBS playoffs feature only a pre-selected Final Four. Otherwise, it could really just be more of a talker, typically "The SEC and *who* else ...".

Week 1 has West Virginia visiting Alabama as a 26 point road dog, and Okie State hosting reigning National Champion Florida State as 17 point home dogs. Conveniently, following the ISU/NDSU brunch special, these games will be televised as a day night doubleheader on ABC.

Questions for Big 12 Fanatics:
  1. Do either WVU or OSU have a chance to create a little early season pandemonium versus 2 teams many favor to be among the 4 finalists by seasons end?
  2. Could the Big 12 champ be seated ahead of either Alabama or Florida St based on a more impressive win versus one of these common opponents?
  3. With many prognosticators viewing the Big 12 at a disadvantage without a conference championsh game, does that add some urgency for the WVU and OSU openers to at least be competetive?
  4. If, hypothetically, it comes down to the Big 12 vs the B1G for that 4th playoff spot, should non-conference SoS for the conference as a whole be a factor in selecting which conference champion should be admitted?

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
1. Yes, I think OSU can give FSU a game. WVU is going to be eviscerated by Saban.
2. Yes.
3. Big 5 non-con wins are going to be huge for all involved. For instance, some are already predicting the Oregon-Mich St. game in week 2 as the only chance for the B1G to get into the playoff based off weak non-con.
4. Yes, however not as important in my view as overall SOS which non-con SOS will play a factor in. Undefeated in Big 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> undefeated in B1G.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
WVU has no chance against Alabama, and when I say no chance I mean no chance. That one will likely be very ugly.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think Oklahoma State getting a win over FSU would go a huge way towards assuring the Big XII a spot in the playoff. But just playing close is enough to not do any damage (assuming Oklahoma State doesn't win the conference). WVU is going to get a train run on them, though I'd love to see them keep it close or even get a win but then lose their next 11 games.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think that either team really has a chance to win. I think at least one of the two needs to keep the game somewhat competitive, two blowouts might hurt the BIG XII champion at the end of the year. Unless both OSU and WVU finish in the bottom 3-4 in the conference which might be possible.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Teams with a shot at winning ...

OU beats Tennessee easily
UT plays UCLA tough in Austin at night
K-State will be ready for Auburn in Manhattan on a Thursday night special
KU probably doesn't hang with Duke there
Tech beats Arkansas in Lubbock
ISU always plays the hoax tough

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
College football is more about motivation than any other widely followed sport. First game of the year on the road against ok state coming off an NC and the whole world telling them how great they are? Give me OK State with that spread, not sure if they'll win but it should be a better game than a typical 17 point spread is.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
FSU has so much more to lose on this one against OSU. I wouldn't be surprised if OSU beats FSU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron