Big 12 Tournament Questions

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
A couple questions as I'm possibly looking into going to the Big 12 tournament in March. It's hard for me to justify getting down to Ames for 1 game on some weekened so I'm trying my best to convince my wife into making a vacation out of the Big 12 tournament.

What is the best way and time to get tickets? Scalping? Stubhub? Don't want to buy off stubhub if i'm clearly getting ripped for crappy seats.

Where does everyone usually stay and do hotels fill up fast? What should I expect to spend on a hotel room per night? How far away from the Sprint Center is it?

What is parking like around the Sprint Center and how much?

If we do decide on going, its a possibility of bring our son who will be 8 1/2 months at the time. Does that sound like torture or does that sound like torture? Might be best to have him stay home with Grandpa and Grandma.

I live in Fargo, so its hard for me to justify spending the money on coming to Ames for one weekend for a basketball game. Granted going to KC will be quite a bit more expensive, but will hopefully be able to witness multiple Iowa State basketball games.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Leave the kid at home if you want to enjoy it. Parking is usually around $20.00. Depending on the matchups, scalping is usually the best for the first 2 days. Ticket prices really depend on if KU is playing in that session. Hotels next to the Sprint Center are probably already full.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
A couple questions as I'm possibly looking into going to the Big 12 tournament in March. It's hard for me to justify getting down to Ames for 1 game on some weekened so I'm trying my best to convince my wife into making a vacation out of the Big 12 tournament.

What is the best way and time to get tickets? Scalping? Stubhub? Don't want to buy off stubhub if i'm clearly getting ripped for crappy seats.

Where does everyone usually stay and do hotels fill up fast? What should I expect to spend on a hotel room per night? How far away from the Sprint Center is it?

What is parking like around the Sprint Center and how much?

If we do decide on going, its a possibility of bring our son who will be 8 1/2 months at the time. Does that sound like torture or does that sound like torture? Might be best to have him stay home with Grandpa and Grandma.

I live in Fargo, so its hard for me to justify spending the money on coming to Ames for one weekend for a basketball game. Granted going to KC will be quite a bit more expensive, but will hopefully be able to witness multiple Iowa State basketball games.

We took our son to a game at Hilton last year when he was about that age. We went with my parents and neither my wife or my mom are huge basketball fans, so they were basically on baby duty all game. If both you and your wife are people who are going to want to focus on the game(s), or if your wife is going to get frustrated getting stuck dealing with the baby for the whole 2 hours, I'd definitely leave the kid off with a grandparent. Plus, by that time you'll feel less guilty about leaving the kid for a few days and the break will be good for the non-child rearing aspect of your marriage anyway.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
ISU just sent out Big 12 ticket requests (to season ticket holders only?). We always wrestle with the decision of buying through the school or scalping. Buying through ISU is a good safety net that you can go to all the games, but seats are usually upper deck. And until last year with early ISU exits, we usually had a net loss on ticket cost less remaining scalp value.

So if you want choice of decent seat, I agree with other poster that scalping will be best route. Who knows where we will end up, but ISU may not even play first day this year. So you can save your money and scalp some decent second day tickets. Risk, as noted, is if we are in KU's session (or playing KU), ticket cost goes way up.