Big 12 Revenue

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
My only question would be about the averages in the Big10. Are Rutgers and Maryland still receiving partial disbursements? That may skew the numbers slightly, but still good news for the Big12.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's a little dishonest / spin in that he is not comparing the same revenue years but it is still impressive.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Explains why Big 12 slow to expand?

Exactly, there are no teams out there (except ND which isn't feasible) that would bring in $40 mil per year per school.

I REALLY hope the B12 doesn't expand. We have the perfect setup now playing each team in football and playing a home and home with each in basketball.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
My only question would be about the averages in the Big10. Are Rutgers and Maryland still receiving partial disbursements? That may skew the numbers slightly, but still good news for the Big12.

I understand your question, but it's really moot as the chart says "average". So even if Rut & Mary made more it would pull from the other schools and the average would remain exactly the same. And the B1G sucks.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
"Third tier rights" is a loaded description. The term used to mean the low end of a league's football and basketball inventory, but also a laundry list of radio, marketing, in-stadium advertising.

B10 schools and nearly every other school sell their radio/marketing/advertising to outside parties. Iowa is making something around $7M this year as part of their $113M Learfield contract.
http://www.thegazette.com/2011/09/0...ts-athletics-department-more-than-5-8-million

ISU is in the middle of a 13 year/$53M contract, probably making around $4M this year.
http://www.thegazette.com/2011/09/12/iowa-state-would-pay-big-penalty-if-marketing-contract-appealed

The B12 teams do typically hold one football game and few basketball games to sell on their own. ISU probably brings very little in for these rights. The existence of these rights is the underpinning of the existence of their Mediacom channel. I don't think ISU discloses what they make from Mediacom, so it is probably low. Visibility is the best thing they get out of it.

Teams like Texas and OU are making good money on their 3rd tier football and basketball games. But comparable B10 schools like Michigan and OSU are making ridiculous amounts of money on their 3rd tier deals.

All in all, I'd guess that B12 3rd tier football/basketball inventory earns schools an average of $1M+ a year.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
"Third tier rights" is a loaded description. The term used to mean the low end of a league's football and basketball inventory, but also a laundry list of radio, marketing, in-stadium advertising.

B10 schools and nearly every other school sell their radio/marketing/advertising to outside parties. Iowa is making something around $7M this year as part of their $113M Learfield contract.
http://www.thegazette.com/2011/09/0...ts-athletics-department-more-than-5-8-million

ISU is in the middle of a 13 year/$53M contract, probably making around $4M this year.
http://www.thegazette.com/2011/09/12/iowa-state-would-pay-big-penalty-if-marketing-contract-appealed

The B12 teams do typically hold one football game and few basketball games to sell on their own. ISU probably brings very little in for these rights. The existence of these rights is the underpinning of the existence of their Mediacom channel. I don't think ISU discloses what they make from Mediacom, so it is probably low. Visibility is the best thing they get out of it.

Teams like Texas and OU are making good money on their 3rd tier football and basketball games. But comparable B10 schools like Michigan and OSU are making ridiculous amounts of money on their 3rd tier deals.

All in all, I'd guess that B12 3rd tier football/basketball inventory earns schools an average of $1M+ a year.
The bigger point is that the perceived gap between the BIG and BIG 12 is not nearly as wide as many people think. With your numbers, the gap between Iowa and ISU is $3.3 million...perhaps even less if the 3rd tier numbers are greater.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Texas alone gets $15 million per year for LHN. That's an average of $1.5 million per school already. Guess your wrong.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

What would we do if we didn't have Iowa fans to come on here and incorrectly explain things to us...

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny

It says third tier TV rights, what does that got to do with radio? The Big 10's third tier TV rights are owned by the Big 10 Network.