Best dorm?

andjhostet

Sep 11, 2011
Burlington, Iowa
Hey I'm heading to Iowa State and was just wondering what the best dorm is? For a standard double. Right now, my #1 option is Friley. I was just wondering if the huge size of it might be a bad thing possibly? Not sure what to think. I'd like to know some thoughts on Friley and/or other dorms. Thanks.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
There are tons of other threads on this if you search for them and they have all sorts of opinions.

To answer your specific concern however, I never found the size of Friley to be an issue. Yes, it's an almost comically long building, but you sort of just get a feel for your "neighborhood" and don't worry so much about the rest of the building. It's not like your going to get lost trying to get out of the building or anything.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
What are you looking for in a dorm? Partying? Cleanliness? Close to classes?

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
To expand, I lived in Friley my first semester freshman year, and if you get stuck on the 5th floor, you get absolutely hosed. Rooms are tiny, my neighbors had two people in a single, and there literally was no room to move in their room. I moved to Eaton second semester and couldn't have been happier. My room in Eaton had it's own bathroom and everything.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
To expand, I lived in Friley my first semester freshman year, and if you get stuck on the 5th floor, you get absolutely hosed. Rooms are tiny, my neighbors had two people in a single, and there literally was no room to move in their room. I moved to Eaton second semester and couldn't have been happier. My room in Eaton had it's own bathroom and everything.

I lived on the fifth floor and had the biggest room you could get and still be only a double. It was awesome. My roommate and I lorded it over all the other scmucks who got stuck in the small rooms. Good times, I tell ya. :cool:

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Stay away from the two towers. Cold, distant, and overabundant with sorcery, pipeweed and ale. I think the other two towers were destroyed by treebeard.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Yeah, top floor Friley, depending where you live, sucks. I lived second floor Friley in Godfrey, which is ground level, for my first 2.5 years. That part was awesome, but my house was socially inept. Moved to Helser Woodrow the next semester, and it was great. But I was part of the last group that got to live there as they tore that part of Helser down the following summer.

My favorite was Roberts Harriman. The community rivals Towers without having to live like a Sherpa...