Baseball rules question

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Here's a scenario, you make a call and game goes to extra innings, team that should have won loses, dad who lives vicariously through his 9 year old, is going to Joplin with his kids "travel ball" team this weekend to play 7 games in 2 days, and who has an extremely short fuse is waiting for you in the parking lot because he doesn't believe in participation trophies and won't take "calm down" for an answer.

Now what?

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
If the batter had less than two outs, and no runners on1st and 2nd the ball is live. It makes no difference if it hit the ground, as long as the catcher holds on to the ball.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was honestly expecting Angel Hernandez behind the plate. That was bad. Should have been a strike AND he leaned into it.
I agree. I used to ump HS bball in Iowa and had something similar happen to my buddy who was behind the plate for that game. He called it correct but holy hell did that coach blow a gasket.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Here's a scenario, you make a call and game goes to extra innings, team that should have won loses, dad who lives vicariously through his 9 year old, is going to Joplin with his kids "travel ball" team this weekend to play 7 games in 2 days, and who has an extremely short fuse is waiting for you in the parking lot because he doesn't believe in participation trophies and won't take "calm down" for an answer.

Now what?

They don't pay enough for that crap. I don't know whats worse though, a kids baseball with a few parents like that or slow pitch softball with a team full of guys who think its game 7 of the WS.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
It was Ron 'I can do anything I want' Kulpa.

Isn't he the one who got into it with Carl Everett because of the batters box or something? I love baseball the way it is but sometimes I wish they would go to robot calls for a couple games so the human umps would realize baseball would go on without them if they keep trying to make it about themselves.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Isn't he the one who got into it with Carl Everett because of the batters box or something? I love baseball the way it is but sometimes I wish they would go to robot calls for a couple games so the human umps would realize baseball would go on without them if they keep trying to make it about themselves.
The power the Ump union has been allowed to have is crazy. Angel Hernandez is exhibit A

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
To the original question, it depends.

1) If the first runner missed home plate, but passed it completely, then the batter-runner touches the plate, both runs count UNLESS the team in the field appeals the missed base.

2) If the first runner stops before crossing the plate, to celebrate with the batter-runner, and the batter-runner touches the plate first, then the batter-runner is out automatically (for passing the preceding runner), no appeal necessary. I don’t see any way the batter-runner can be granted home plate, as they are out as soon as they pass the runner.

In either example, if the first runner tries to get back to the plate or touch it after the batter-runner crosses it, it doesn‘t count. The runner can’t return to home plate that they didn’t touch after a following runner has touched it.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The power the Ump union has been allowed to have is crazy. Angel Hernandez is exhibit A

Exhibit B: Joe West literally is hanging on so he can beat out Bill Klem for most games umpired. Funny thing is, if the umps like him didnt try their power play in 1999 by quitting, he would have surpassed Klem a few years ago.

Hopefully technology will continue to knock umpires down a peg. I doubt they like replay and seeing they screwed up in real time.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
MLB needs a system like the NFL, that allows them to get rid of poorly performance umps. Hernandez is horrible and has been for years. Truthfully most of the MLB umps do a great job, but there are 5 to 10 that should be forced to retire or fired.
Nothing worse than an official at any level that thinks that people came out to see them call the game, instead of watching the players on the field.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree. I used to ump HS bball in Iowa and had something similar happen to my buddy who was behind the plate for that game. He called it correct but holy hell did that coach blow a gasket.
I called that in a freshman game years ago. Valley was at Urbandale. As the runner headed to first I said no no strike two. Coach came flying out of the dugout and said you called that a strike. I said well if I'm Bringing him back I about have to.

Kid comes back to the plate grinning and gave me a nod. Next pick he ripped a double in the gap.