Barry

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Anyone catch the new HBO show, Barry, starring Bill Hader as hit man, wannabe actor? I think it looks like it is going to be really good. The Chechen gangsters crack me up and Steven Root has always been a personal favorite.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Was not really sure what to expect with the first episode, but I really enjoyed it. Straddled the line of serious and comedy. And yes, the Chechen gangsters were hilarious.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been seeing the trailers and promos and only caught it because in was right after Silicone Valley. Was better than I thought it might be. Will be tuning in after SV on Sundays now.

Liked the way they sort of leaked his backstory in as the episode unrolled.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Anyone catch the new HBO show, Barry, starring Bill Hader as hit man, wannabe actor? I think it looks like it is going to be really good. The Chechen gangsters crack me up and Steven Root has always been a personal favorite.

I thought it was a great first episode. I'll definitely keep watching.

• Agree

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's starting to lose me a little. If not for the crazy Chechens this last episode was kinda disappointing. The whole strangling scene was a little jaring and out of step (and yes, I get that he's a troubled assassin). I am also finding the acting studio scenes just painful.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and Doc

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's starting to lose me a little. If not for the crazy Chechens this last episode was kinda disappointing. The whole strangling scene was a little jaring and out of step (and yes, I get that he's a troubled assassin). I am also finding the acting studio scenes just painful.
He made the "UnSafe Choice" (title name) because he wanted to be done once and for all with the life. As was made clear, I thought, when he found out what the hit was saying in spanish as he killed himm and him reassuring... "yeah, I guess not."

It's less comedy than I was expecting from the outset, but I have really enjoyed the characters in the show and like how Hader plays Barry a lot.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He made the "UnSafe Choice" (title name) because he wanted to be done once and for all with the life. As was made clear, I thought, when he found out what the hit was saying in spanish as he killed himm and him reassuring... "yeah, I guess not."

It's less comedy than I was expecting from the outset, but I have really enjoyed the characters in the show and like how Hader plays Barry a lot.

The cops are more the comedic relief in this show. (or I believe they will be for the rest of the season)

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The cops are more the comedic relief in this show. (or I believe they will be for the rest of the season)
The Cops scenes and the Chechans are the comedic relief, everything else is actually character progression for Barry (or has been so far, in my mind)

P.S.- Any time Noho Hank sends a text message I laugh, I think that little bit is gold.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
"So how great is this place, amirite?" -Noho Hank to Barry as they sit in a childs gymnastics class after discussing how dumb he is for bringing a camera to a hit

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I gave this show three episodes - really did not like it and gave up on it.

I was in the same place. It was on after Silicon Valley so I didn't change the channel. It was a little better but after watching Killing Eve, Westworld and Silicon Valley it's going to come up short. It's like watching your baseball team hit a home, a double and another double and than your pitcher is up to bat. You watch but not with any expectations. o_O

• Disagree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I know most aren't watching, but those who are.. what the hell is going to happen now!? Great episode last night.

I kinda had a feeling that Taylor was going to do something stupid as **** to get them in a jam, but THAT!? That was not what I was expecting to happen. Just flipped Barry's life on its head even more so.

I had a feeling he was going to try to get Taylor to take over his hitman spot, but wasn't surprised he wasn't about it. Fuches would have killed him himself if that ended up being the scenario.

I really hope Chris is alright as well, because if not, that will put Barry into a really dark place I have a feeling.

Help Support Us

Become a patron