Austin Alburtis

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If he already graduated, though, isn't that really the whole point of college athletics?

He gave us 4.5 years, our school provided him with a college education, and it sounds here like both parties left satisfied that they have met their end of the bargain.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
ya but he didn't really finish his career. He didn't even want to start one more Big 12 college football game?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ya but he didn't really finish his career. He didn't even want to start one more Big 12 college football game?

Have you ever thought that maybe he's sick and tired of football by now? He's probably been playing football since he was in the 4th grade or something?

Maybe he's one of the few athletes that actually went to school for the education... not because he thought he ever had a shot at the NFL?

It sounds like he's graduated, and he probably wants to move on with his life. I don't blame him at all. If you want to guarantee that a kid will play for 4 years, then don't RS them. This really sucks for ISU football, but sports isn't everything.

I wish him the best.

As for the DL... now you understand why I've been upset with our lack of recruiting at this crucial position. Our DL was already extremely thin and weak. Now it's even worse. Don't blame it on Alburtis. This staff has done next to nothing to give us good depth on the DL. What if Alburtis would have had a career ending injury instead? You have to have guys that can step up.... and we don't.

And we don't have virtually anything in the pipeline on the DL either right now. We signed one kid last year, Jensen, and he was not highly recruited by anyone.

This coaching staff has nobody to blame but themselves. We have WR/ATH type kids all over our roster, and no big guys that we are grooming on the DL. It's a HUGE concern. But it's been a HUGE concern long before now. It's almost too late now. What if someone gets injured or transfers now?

They better sign a huge class of both JUCO and freshmen DL this year.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It would have been nice for him to finish out his career, i mean, he did get a free education and all.

Uhmmm, he did finish out his career.

There are some really stupid people on this board. Really stupid.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If Alburtis has graduated and has decided to forego his senior season, we should respect it. I would have loved to have him back. But sometimes there is more to life than just football.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If Alburtis has graduated and has decided to forego his senior season, we should respect it. I would have loved to have him back. But sometimes there is more to life than just football.

All the people ragging on AA obviously have never played football at a college level. It is a ton of work and takes alot out of you. I loved playing football, but halfway through my senior year at ISU I was burnt out and ready for football to be over. This was despite having a winning season going and playing a decent amount of minutes. It just got to the point where I had been doing football non-stop for 13 years.

I say thanks to AA for giving what he did to ISU and good luck on your future endeavors.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Playing football, especially on the line of scrimmage, takes a toll on your body. He is probably carrying around an extra 60 -70 pounds just to be competitive in the Big 12. His muscles are built up, but things like ligaments and your menicus in your knee do not get stronger with you. They just wear down faster.

Correct.

I can tell you after working with Travis both when he was still playing football and after - he looks much more fit now because playing defensive line, you have to carry a bunch of extra weight.

We were just looking back at some images of him from 2 years ago and new ones we created a couple weeks back - completely different person, his face is so much different.

This.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Re: When

This.

and to the person commenting about depth, how much worse could the line be than it was last season?

Exactly. There is nowhere to go but up in relation to last year. The D line this year will be markedly better in terms of talent and ability than last year. We have guys who pass the "eye" test and who have a year of real solid coaching under their belts. I think we will be OK on the D Line. With the inesperience factor in our front 7, the question will be execution, IMO, not ability. Good coaching should minimize the effect of inexperience. Depth is also better this year.

It's just the middle of July, and I already have a giant Kool-Aid moustache.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Exactly. There is nowhere to go but up in relation to last year. The D line this year will be markedly better in terms of talent and ability than last year. We have guys who pass the "eye" test and who have a year of real solid coaching under their belts. I think we will be OK on the D Line. With the inesperience factor in our front 7, the question will be execution, IMO, not ability. Good coaching should minimize the effect of inexperience. Depth is also better this year.

It's just the middle of July, and I already have a giant Kool-Aid moustache.

I'll have some of what you've obviously been drinking. Our D-line is not improved and deeper this year. How can you say that?

We lost Lyle and Frere... both starters. Now we've lost another starter in Alburtis. We've only brought in Brandon Jensen.... and maybe Rony Nelson if we're lucky. That's not improvement, and it's not adding depth either.

Next years line might be barely serviceable, but it's the future where we are in deep trouble.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

I'll have some of what you've obviously been drinking. Our D-line is not improved and deeper this year. How can you say that?

We lost Lyle and Frere... both starters. Now we've lost another starter in Alburtis. We've only brought in Brandon Jensen.... and maybe Rony Nelson if we're lucky. That's not improvement, and it's not adding depth either.

Next years line might be barely serviceable, but it's the future where we are in deep trouble.

Rashawn Parker is back. Patrick Neal is back. McDonough is much improved. Rump is back. And a host of others.

Nate Frere played well as did Chris Lyle. We knew we had those losses. Alburtis hurts our depth and he was a serviceable player. But he was not going to be All Conference and may not have been a shoo in to be a starter. Which may have been another reason why he decided to not go out for his senior year.

He has graduated. He has busted his *** for the team. And still might not be good enough to be the definite starter. And Football might not be as much fun as it used to be. I can respect that. And thank him for his past contributions. They are much appreciated. And congrats on getting a degree. HUGE Kudos for that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Rashawn Parker is back. Patrick Neal is back. McDonough is much improved. Rump is back. And a host of others.

Nate Frere played well as did Chris Lyle. We knew we had those losses. Alburtis hurts our depth and he was a serviceable player. But he was not going to be All Conference and may not have been a shoo in to be a starter. Which may have been another reason why he decided to not go out for his senior year.

He has graduated. He has busted his *** for the team. And still might not be good enough to be the definite starter. And Football might not be as much fun as it used to be. I can respect that. And thank him for his past contributions. They are much appreciated. And congrats on getting a degree. HUGE Kudos for that.

So, are you saying we're better and deeper than last year? Is that what you are saying? Because we aren't.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

I gotta agree with this. Some guy even came on here and said McGruber was the funniest movie ever. How many times has that guy been in remedial reading classes, camped out in line for a Hannah Montana concert or made sculptures out of his own poop?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yup, that's all there is to it. He just has to show up at game time and strap on the pads for one one more year. It's not like football takes up a great majority of a student's life or that it's a full-time job anymore. Oh wait ...

No need to be a d#ck. I understand how football could wear on a person and how it's a lot of work. I just think that if you have ONE year left of playing for a major college team, you go for it. I mean, you have a chance to likely pick up an MBA for free while playing major college FB for 4-5 more months. And it's not like he's riding the bench, he's in the rotation at the least.

To me, I know a ton of people who would love one more shot at playing competitive football. And if they gave up their SR year, they would regret it forever....and that's just SR year in high school. Imagine giving up playing against Texas and OU.

I'm not calling the kid a quitter or anything, he has every right to leave ISU after graduation. I just don't totally understand the decision and hope it's not one that he regrets for the rest of his life.

BTW, I hope that this is a MAJOR lesson for our coaching staff. You don't under-recruit the DL. You over-recruit it. Five HS DLs in two years flat out does not cut it. Gamble on some guys if you have to, but don't go light on the DL recruits.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

So, are you saying we're better and deeper than last year? Is that what you are saying? Because we aren't.

I am saying that the well is not dry. Chris Lyle wasn't that great as a junior. And had a decent senior year. Frere was pretty decent and had a great senior year.

And I recognize that the guys we have coming back are all a year older and hopefully have improved. I actually think we will be just as good as last year on the DL. Because to be perfectly honest, we weren't all that great. And we really aren't any less deep than we were last year. We have serviceable personnel with no standouts.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Bailey Johnson and Rump are starters.

Congrats and thanks to AA for being a Cyclone through some tough years.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

I meant at least playing the 5th season. I guess I put it in a way that can easily be read out of context. Most players play all 5 years (if they are redshirted). Thats what I meant. I'm very glad he worked hard and got his degree and appreciate what he did on and off that field.

But continue on to criticize. I'm stupid I forgot!