Austin Alburtis

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Maybe he left because he just doesn't enjoy it any more. Just a thought.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I just don't really understand this one. The guy's a senior, so he's not playing anywhere else. Why not play one more year and take some grad classes? It's not like he wasn't going to play...he was going to be in the rotation.
Playing football, especially on the line of scrimmage, takes a toll on your body. He is probably carrying around an extra 60 -70 pounds just to be competitive in the Big 12. His muscles are built up, but things like ligaments and your menicus in your knee do not get stronger with you. They just wear down faster. He may simply be trying to get healthy and get on with a post football life.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I used to see him out at the bars dang near everyday so its not like he isn't dedicated to anything. I can't remember anything he did in a cyclone uniform so I don't think it will hurt too bad

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
With McDonough and Parker finally healthy and Moore coming off redshirt, ISU could actually have a little more talent at DL this season. Still, losing Alburtis hurts. McDonough and Rump are most likely gonna start, but with Alburtis and Bailey Johnson that was a nice 4 man rotation. Jerrod Black or Walter Woods probably moves into that spot on the depth chart now.

I agree with this but honestly, the kid had an injury prone college career. If this truly happened I could see it for that reason. I loved his hard work, but that is not everything... Personally saw Rump starting ahead of him anyway...

callcydaddy

Mar 30, 2010
Minneapolis
I used to see him out at the bars dang near everyday so its not like he isn't dedicated to anything. I can't remember anything he did in a cyclone uniform so I don't think it will hurt too bad

thats funny you must not be dedicated to much either since you saw him there everyday...austin is a good i guy i know him personally and he's been taking classes during the summer and what not...i have moved back home for a few weeks so i haven't talked to him...i know he was stillworking out with the team last i knew but like i said i haven't been around much...i know its probably hard to be here in ames for 4-5 years and only get to go home once or twice a year though..

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
thats funny you must not be dedicated to much either since you saw him there everyday...austin is a good i guy i know him personally and he's been taking classes during the summer and what not...i have moved back home for a few weeks so i haven't talked to him...i know he was stillworking out with the team last i knew but like i said i haven't been around much...i know its probably hard to be here in ames for 4-5 years and only get to go home once or twice a year though..

Its hard paying back student loans too.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I just don't really understand this one. The guy's a senior, so he's not playing anywhere else. Why not play one more year and take some grad classes? It's not like he wasn't going to play...he was going to be in the rotation.

Yup, that's all there is to it. He just has to show up at game time and strap on the pads for one one more year. It's not like football takes up a great majority of a student's life or that it's a full-time job anymore. Oh wait ...

indiana

Nov 15, 2007
Dallas, Texas

Nice thing to say. Do you know if he missed practices, workouts, deadlines, requirements. You were there too, does that make you a low life.

LEBRON23

Jun 11, 2010
I'm sure if he's decided to quit it's because he's a senior academically and just wanted to move on with his life. Several players for us have done this in the past. Schmelling comes to mind as one of the more recent.

this is why he decided to quit

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I would say that it might be a good sign that our coach expects you to give your all. AA might have said, I'm not going to start, my body hurts, I'm done with school, why hurt my body more when I don't have my all to give to this team.

Just my thoughts.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Hey guys, lets just cut the speculation unless someone has some real inside info.

What happened, happened. It's over and I wish the guy well.

You don't make it that many years in a D1 football program without working hard. He is choosing to move on. I prefer that to being kicked off the team or getting arrested.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
It would have been nice for him to finish out his career, i mean, he did get a free education and all.

He did finish his career. He's a redshirt senior, which means he has been in the program 4 1/2 years already, including this spring and summer.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
He gave it his all, especially in the weight room. Give the guy a break. You try it.

I hope you aren't referencing me. I didn't mean to say that he didn't. My thought is that he HAS given his all, but didn't feel he could give enough anymore. I've been there and I respect a guy for making this decision. I would rather let somebody else take my place if my best isn't enough, or I can't give it my best anymore. All this is mere speculation from me, sounds like you know him best. I know what it's like to carry close to three bells, the body no likey.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I will give the guy his due. He went to class, never got in trouble, worked hard, played football for ISU, and represented the school well. If he decided to quit it doesn't matter to me what his reasons are. He was a good kid and I respect that. End of story.