Augusta National Trip Advice

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I am lucky enough to have the chance to obtain 2014 Masters tickets, first timer so I am pretty excited. (yes, I know its 9months away)
Just wondering if there are any other CF'ers out there that have attended Augusta Nation or any others headed to the event in 2014??? It is quite expensive, and I'm on the fence if I should attend or not attend.

I'm looking for advice on whether or not it is worth going, lodging, where to fly into, and any other tips experienced visitors could offer.
thanks!

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I am lucky enough to have the chance to obtain 2014 Masters tickets, first timer so I am pretty excited. (yes, I know its 9months away)
Just wondering if there are any other CF'ers out there that have attended Augusta Nation or any others headed to the event in 2014??? It is quite expensive, and I'm on the fence if I should attend or not attend.

I'm looking for advice on whether or not it is worth going, lodging, where to fly into, and any other tips experienced visitors could offer.
thanks!

I was able to attend the Wednesday practice round last year and it was an experience I'll never forget. I won the right to purchase 4 of the Wednesday tickets, which includes the Par 3 tourney, from the Masters. I sold 2 of the tickets and took myself and my dad with the others. We flew into Augusta and stayed at the Hampton Inn about 2 miles from the course.

A few things to note. Transportation is very expensive. All the cabbies turn off their meters and charge about $60-80 for a ride from the Airport to the main hotel area. Also, finding a room is tough. Lucky for us, my dad travels for work and was guaranteed a room at the Hampton Inn. It worked out nice, as the Hampton had a free Happy Hour and Meal every day during the tournament. Nice touch.

We took a shuttle provided by Hampton to the course and the 2 mile drive takes over an hour both ways due to traffic. Be prepared for this. Eat at the course. The food is cheap and good! Eating outside of the course is tough. When we got in Tuesday night, we had to go to the Denny's at 9pm next door because every other place was booked. We were thankful the hotel had food the next night.

At the end of the day, if you're a golf fan, it's something you have to do. The history is everywhere, and growing up I dreamed of playing there. Walking the course you feel like you know all the different holes from watching so many years. The course is in a condition that I've never seen before. Literally every blade of grass was perfect.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I was able to attend the Wednesday practice round last year and it was an experience I'll never forget. I won the right to purchase 4 of the Wednesday tickets, which includes the Par 3 tourney, from the Masters. I sold 2 of the tickets and took myself and my dad with the others. We flew into Augusta and stayed at the Hampton Inn about 2 miles from the course.

A few things to note. Transportation is very expensive. All the cabbies turn off their meters and charge about $60-80 for a ride from the Airport to the main hotel area. Also, finding a room is tough. Lucky for us, my dad travels for work and was guaranteed a room at the Hampton Inn. It worked out nice, as the Hampton had a free Happy Hour and Meal every day during the tournament. Nice touch.

We took a shuttle provided by Hampton to the course and the 2 mile drive takes over an hour both ways due to traffic. Be prepared for this. Eat at the course. The food is cheap and good! Eating outside of the course is tough. When we got in Tuesday night, we had to go to the Denny's at 9pm next door because every other place was booked. We were thankful the hotel had food the next night.

At the end of the day, if you're a golf fan, it's something you have to do. The history is everywhere, and growing up I dreamed of playing there. Walking the course you feel like you know all the different holes from watching so many years. The course is in a condition that I've never seen before. Literally every blade of grass was perfect.

This is great info, thanks!
I am pretty certain that I will be going, just need to accept that it will be expensive :)
Im thinking I will have to start looking for a hotel asap

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
If you really want to cut cost big time, stay in Atlanta. Flying into Atlanta is a lot less inexpensive, the lodging is a lot less inexpensive and so is the car rental. It's a 2 hour drive from Atlanta to Augusta down I20. If you do drive from ATL, dont take the Washington Rd exit into Augusta, everyone does. Take the Riverwatch Parkway exit off I20, it runs parallel to Washington and you bypass all the traffic and a standstill. Ive been many times and I can believe people driving from ATL havent figured it out yet and I actually hope they never do.

I will say this if you are trying to purchase tournament badges. Get ready to pay huge $$$$, the market is insane. A few years ago you could get Sunday badges on the street for $5-600 bucks. Last year single days were over 5k on the street and scalpers were getting it. Also Sunday is usually the least expensive day to attend.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
^along this same thought tons of people stay in Columbia for the masters, cheaper than Atlanta and only a touch over an hour drive to Augusta. You are also close enough to Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah by staying in Columbia if you didn't want to do the masters every day.

Last edited:

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
thanks for the info.
Yes, we are fully prepared to shell out a ton of cash....probably not 5000 though hahahah -- we will see what we can find.
I was looking into flying/staying in columbia, SC. It seems as though that will be a cheaper alternative to flying into Augusta directly.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I have gone twice and stayed on the far eastern suburbs of Atlanta both times. Drive isn't ideal but hotel availability and price are way better.

First time we parked in a neighborhood near the course and walked a mile or so. Second time we parked in the free patron lot they had opened....good deal IMO.

As stated earlier food and beverage are reasonable on the grounds, although don't look for any grilled food. They don't want the smoke billowing up and being seen so its cold sandwiches - pimento cheese of course - green wrappers to match the grass. Can't have trash showing.

Two must dos on my list: walk the whole course and watch them skip balls off the pond on 16. We also hung by the practice green at the par 3 tournament and my son (2nd or 3rd grade) got invited inside the ropes by one of the pros to putt a few.

We'll worth the trip. Enjoy!

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I was there for a practice round on Tuesday of the 07 Master's, but drove back to Myrtle that night. If you end up only there for one day, do yourself a favor and walk the whole grounds. Don't camp out in one spot or you will miss so much. My favorite spot is 10 fairway. Seeing the ball bound down the fairway after the 80 ft drop from tee to fairway is awesome.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I went in '09 for the Wed. practice round. We flew into and stayed in Savannah. Came in a couple days early and played golf around there. We rented a car and drove it to golf (our golf) and then to Augusta on Wed. I think we stayed at the same Hampton others have mentioned. Drove the rental to the golf course on Wed. too. I think we flew out of Atlanta but can't remember for sure.

Definitely would do it again if I can get tickets.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
thanks for the info.
Yes, we are fully prepared to shell out a ton of cash....probably not 5000 though hahahah -- we will see what we can find.
I was looking into flying/staying in columbia, SC. It seems as though that will be a cheaper alternative to flying into Augusta directly.

Very much cheaper, let me know if you have any questions on Columbia.