Attention Coaches and Armchair quarterbacks....Question:

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
5044bb908f34c547391bd.jpg
5044bcc88ed8b13894cce.jpg

I posted this in another thread, but thought it deserved its own thread.

I was always taught that your fingers should be on the laces of the football when throwing a pass. It appears, from different pictures in the photo album, that maybe SJ uses both methods.

Any thoughts?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Like I said in the other thread. Probably a bubble screen or really quick throw where there is no time to readjust the laces. Remember it is from shotgun and not under center where the laces go right to the correct spot every time.

In fact, it seems like if you look at it Jantz is looking directly at the sideline with the crowd behind him.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
on those quick screens it's catch the ball and immediately turn and throw. no time for finding the laces. it's a short enough pass that it really doesn't matter how tight the spiral is.

although...
View attachment 14286

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Yeah, it's not necessary to have your fingers on the laces (although it helps). Throwing a tight spiral has a lot to do with your grip. It's important to have strong fingers and a thumb and leave a little space between the ball and your palm. At least that's the way I was taught.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Watch the NFL. You will see every quarterback violating some sort of 'golden rule' of being a QB. Throwing motion, foot location, etc. At some point, it's what you can get to work for you.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
I see the responses, and get the quick hitter notion, but if this is really the case, then I would tend to think that this may play a small part in accuracy. I am not buying the small hands posts. Quick hitter or shotgun, we always found laces. Where's FBnTx at? I love to hear his pov.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I see the responses, and get the quick hitter notion, but if this is really the case, then I would tend to think that this may play a small part in accuracy. I am not buying the small hands posts. Quick hitter or shotgun, we always found laces. Where's FBnTx at? I love to hear his pov.

Picture #1: He's obviously throwing a quick screen pass. I teach my QB's to catch and throw on those plays. If he tries to find the laces on those that half second gives a DB plenty of time to react. But, you are correct that it affects accuracy. That's why I have my guys throw about 50 per day to both sides of the field. If this was a tunnel screen, he would have time to find the laces because there is a play-action fake with the RB.

Picture #2: This is the one that brings concern. As you can see, he has already started his stride and weight transfer but the his elbow is not cocked. This is why he throws off the back foot (all arm) so much. What I mean is, think of a pitcher going to his windup. When his knee falls into the leg kick through to the stride, the the elbow cocks back (loads) for the the drive and hip turn. Proper mechanics leads to balance on the front foot. The same applies for a QB. This helps with velocity, accuracy, and ball placement. CPR has said he has aspiration of playing at the next level. He needs to get that corrected. Other than that, everything looks good.

Last edited:

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
This is all very interesting and informative...being a scrub lineman in hs I never had to learn "proper mechanics" for throwing the ball. I do agree that he is probably throwing a quick pass and didn't have time to find the laces. He seemed pretty accurate against Tulsa so if he keeps that up I don't care where the laces are.