Anyone notice Caleb Grill's back?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It was probably a foul, but that play certainly didn't change the outcome of the game by itself in an 11 point game.
It was a foul and maybe even an F1 because he's in the air when Grill moves underneath him but they missed it in real time and didn't bother to go to the monitor which surprised me. It wouldn't have had any impact on who won the game but you just absolutely hate seeing guys land like that and I'm sure he's real sore today.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Good clarification. I just watched the segment thanks to someone recently posting video of the game on here. Grill definitely picked up Tamin and the entanglement of Tre and Texas player looked not worthy of a technical, imo. Don't know if that same gathering of players is the same segment where someone at the game tweeted that "Gabe with massive trash talking to Tyrese" or something to that effect. Regardless, glad we didn't back down to them and came out with a hard fought win. Kudos to those that were there for the great atmosphere.
Yeah, I don't think this team is going to back down from anyone out there. We definitely are "that team" that no one wants to play against.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
No one (that I've seen) really talking about it but Cunningham took a somewhat cheap shot with a forearm shiver into Grill after a foul. 1:28:00 mark of the ESPN+ feed.

Not a huge deal but if we're being nit picky about things, that was unnecessary. Overall, that was one of the most physical basketball games I've ever seen but I don't think there was anything "dirty" going on either way.

Reactions: wxman1

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
No one (that I've seen) really talking about it but Cunningham took a somewhat cheap shot with a forearm shiver into Grill after a foul. 1:28:00 mark of the ESPN+ feed.

Not a huge deal but if we're being nit picky about things, that was unnecessary. Overall, that was one of the most physical basketball games I've ever seen but I don't think there was anything "dirty" going on either way.
Cunningham is an absolute shitweasel. Dude went to the Brad Davison basketball academy

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

I was curious earlier this afternoon and just rewatched the period in the second half when I recalled it got most chippy in person, and I'll be damned, Cunningham was the culprit in almost every cheap shot and (un-whistled) flagrant 1 that went down:
  • trampling Lipsey after a made basket
  • a forearm to Grill's chin as a whistle was blown
  • a hip check at Holmes (or Kalscheur?) as the ref turned and looked the other way
  • trampling Kalscheur after they both missed a rebound attempt going the other way
  • going all Deandre eye poke on a closeout on Kalscheur
I'm not saying our guys weren't pissing them off too, but Cunningham is definitely their villain when needed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Grill hardly played today and only took one shot. Someone mentioned it looked like he had a back brace in. IMO his absence today was the difference between winning and losing.
We needed somebody to step up and shoot well today. Could it have been Grill? Sure. But could have been any of the other guys as well. End of the day, we either win or at least make it to OT if Osun hits 2 vital free throws at the end. And you don't win many games in this conference with just 2 made 3's.

Not trying to downplay Grill, just stating that this was a winnable game that they let slip away.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and Nihawk

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
We needed somebody to step up and shoot well today. Could it have been Grill? Sure. But could have been any of the other guys as well. End of the day, we either win or at least make it to OT if Osun hits 2 vital free throws at the end. And you don't win many games in this conference with just 2 made 3's.

Not trying to downplay Grill, just stating that this was a winnable game that they let slip away.
Dont disagree but there is a good reason we "let it slip away".. We lost Grill and we went from being able to spread the floor to not and Okie st adjusted by clogging middle and daring us to shoot 3's outside of Gabe.

We had no threat outside Gabe in 2nd half bc Grill was out.

Reason our offense has been effective inside/out is bc we have both inside and out..

We don't have that with no Grill.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
strained backs are a tough deal. I would rather he get healed up all rather than try and make a go of it every night only to aggravate it in doing so. We are woefully short on guards. Lost out on Green, Williams out, and now Grill. We can't have Kalscheur go 40 min every night, we saw what happens, he didn't have his shooting legs in the second half. Maybe it's time to give E. King a couple of minutes each half to help keep our other guys fresh enough to compete at a high level down the stretch

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Dont disagree but there is a good reason we "let it slip away".. We lost Grill and we went from being able to spread the floor to not and Okie st adjusted by clogging middle and daring us to shoot 3's outside of Gabe.

Reason our offense has been effective inside/out is bc we have both inside and out..

Add in not enough Lipsey, Holmes usage was way too high I’d imagine for the whole game.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Right. We are one guard short without Williams. Not that he was probably going to be much of a shooting threat, but you remove even one more guard from the equation and it gets dicey pretty quick, putting a lot of pressure on the remaining guards.

Reactions: isutrevman

Help Support Us

Become a patron