Any Mazdaspeed 3 owners?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'm thinking of giving up my WRX for a MS3. I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with the performance. The MS3 is cleaning up on awards. It also far less expensive than the WRX and, in particular, the STI but not really a direct competitor. I haven't driven the MS3 yet but I really like what I'm hearing from the auto sites.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Why would you consider a front wheel drive vehicle over an AWD with a ton more horsies? Granted, the WRX is freaking expensive, especially the STI, but you're getting what you pay for.

I don't think the two are really even in the same class as one another.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
I agree. If you have a WRX, especially the STI, why would you want the Mazda? To me, thats just a step down. Plus, you live in Colorado..keep the AWD power of the WRX.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This really depends on what you want.

I can't see giving up a WRX for a MazdaSpeed. For others that don't know, the MazdaSpeed 3 isn't like the other
the other mazda 3's when it comes to performance. It has over 260 horsepower and is pretty quick.

If you we're trying to decide between the two cars and you didn't already own a WRX than it would be a harder
choice but since you already have a WRX I don't think there is enough difference to trade.

There are very similar cars in function. They are both fast, they are both based on a lot cheaper car, they both are pretty
average when it comes to interior. The big downside on the Mazda is going to be that it's front wheel drive and it's
horrible history with resale value.

What are you trying to accomplish out of getting a new car?

I bought a 06 VW GTI with DSG and I love it. It's not as fast as the WRX or the MazdaSpeed but that wasn't as
important to me this time around. I've had cars like Civic Si's, 350Z, Interga, Firebirds, 500 horsepowers Z-28, etc

The GTI was actually just as expensive as the other two cars but after driving the WRX and the Civic Si I realized
that the GTI just worked as a total package. The interior was top notch, it handled great, I liked the design, etc.
I asked myself "which of these cars could I see myself driving every day to work". The GTI was the best of the
bunch.

I'm not saying you should look at the GTI because each person has their own preferences. What I'm trying to say
is that you shouldn't just buy a car because it has the most horsepower.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Seems like a dumb move to me. You need to get more power not less.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
What I'm trying to say

No but it certainly should be a major factor:wink:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
BTW-I'm not digging the looks of the new Sti. I liked the styling of the last Sti as long as you took off the 3 foot wing on the back.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
No but it certainly should be a major factor:wink:

True.

I almost bought an S2000 a couple years ago. I love those high reving Honda engines. My only problem was that I couldn't fit in the car. Both my knees hit the dash. I spent about a month doing research on how I could change out the seat so that I could fit. Yes, I have problems.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
True.

I almost bought an S2000 a couple years ago. I love those high reving Honda engines. My only problem was that I couldn't fit in the car. Both my knees hit the dash. I spent about a month doing research on how I could change out the seat so that I could fit. Yes, I have problems.

I loved the concept of the S2000, but it was just poor execution by Honda, that car is butt ugly.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
What I'm trying to say

Indeed. It's also important that it doesn't have a wing like a superbird.
Superbird.JPG

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Take it from someone who owns a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (260 HP, but front wheel drive) - yes, lots of power, but it torque steers like crazy, especially in the snow (I think the only thing that's worse than front wheel drive with too much power in snow is rear wheel drive in snow). Don't get me wrong, I love my car, it's got a great package (suspension, interior, etc) and I'm not trading it for a long time. But it would have been such a better vehicle if it were AWD.

cyclone

Apr 10, 2006
Chicago Area
This past May I picked up a MazdaSpeed 6, which was driven 4500 miles by a MazdaExec. Listed for $34,000.....walked out the door with the car for $23,000. Car was in perfect shape.

280 HP / inline 4 turbo
Manual Trans (6 speed)
All wheel drive
Leather
Nav system...and all the bells and whistles.

Hard to drive this car slow.....very sporty clutch...takes some time to shift smoothly.

0-60 5.2 sec

I am way way more than happy with this car...also drives great in the snow...

This car has more to offer on the inside than the WRX Sti...but it has about 20 less HP than the Sti.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Take it from someone who owns a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (260 HP, but front wheel drive) - yes, lots of power, but it torque steers like crazy, especially in the snow (I think the only thing that's worse than front wheel drive with too much power in snow is rear wheel drive in snow). Don't get me wrong, I love my car, it's got a great package (suspension, interior, etc) and I'm not trading it for a long time. But it would have been such a better vehicle if it were AWD.

The Mazdaspeed3 has equal length halfshafts, electronic throttle control and a host of other crap to minimize torque steer. Most reviews have been that there is pretty much no torque steer at all, and wheel slip is limited by the computer through first and second gear through boost reduction.

Just because Detroit pumps out crap FWD cars, doesn't mean that they are all like that.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Seems like a dumb move to me. You need to get more power not less.

My WRX stock came as a 227 hp car. I've done a few things to boost the hp. I've never put it on a dyno but I would guess I'm aroudn 260.

The MS3, for those who don't know, comes with 260 hp and LOADS of torque. It runs the quarter about even with the WRX (not the STI, really a whole different category). But the 0-60 speed is slower with the MS3 but it picks that speed back up in the quarter and runs about the same time. The MS3, being frontwheel drive can have tons of wheel spin and that is the biggest difference 0-60. It also has a 6 speed box, 18-inch wheel and a really nice sounding stock exhaust. The interior the MS3 gets rave reviews over that of the WRX.

The 2008 WRX is downright fugly. The STI is an improvement in appearance with the flared fenders but still not as attractive at the MS3 or GTI.

Why would I switch to a Mazda? Things I've heard and read:

- Better ride.
- Better interior materials
- Exhaust note
- Eventually want something new and it is priced right.

My question was this: By owning a WRX will I be disappointed in the MS3. It sounds like people are saying I would be.

I'm not sure if everyone understands there is BIG difference between the Mazda3 and the Mazdaspeed3.

Cyclone: The Mazdaspeed 6 in 5.2? I've never read anything lower than 6.1. Edmunds did a comparison of the MS6 to the Legacy GT spec B and the Legacy did 5.7 and the MS6 did 6.1 (for the record, the Mazda slalomed faster).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The Mazdaspeed3 has equal length halfshafts, electronic throttle control and a host of other crap to minimize torque steer. Most reviews have been that there is pretty much no torque steer at all, and wheel slip is limited by the computer through first and second gear through boost reduction.

Just because Detroit pumps out crap FWD cars, doesn't mean that they are all like that.

Correct, this is what I've been reading as well. The torque has been controlled as much as possible in the MS3. They actually torque limit the first two gears. Meaning, if the MS3 could actually put the power to the road (AWD), it would be a screaming machine. I don't see why they aren't offering an AWD option.

Last edited:

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
BTW-I'm not digging the looks of the new Sti. I liked the styling of the last Sti as long as you took off the 3 foot wing on the back.

If I could get my hands on a used STI limited (no spoiler and toned down appearance) from 2006-2007, I'd be happy. The limite is the only STI to offer leather and a sunroof and, of course, no trunk spoiler. The spoilers on the STI are ridiculous.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
might as well go out and get an EVO.. i know som1 who has one and is willing to sell it right now.. really nice blue too

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Correct, this is what I've been reading as well. The torque has been controlled as much as possible in the MS3. They actually torque limit the first two gears. Meaning, if the MS3 could actually put the power to the road (AWD), it would be a sreaming machine. I don't see why they aren't offering an AWD option.

They slap AWD on that car, and I think they'd have something pretty special. It's basically be a faster euro spec Ford Focus, which would be pretty awesome. (For those that don't know, the european Ford Focus is an incredibly awesome car. The North American one is a tremendous pile of crap).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
They slap AWD on that car, and I think they'd have something pretty special. It's basically be a faster euro spec Ford Focus, which would be pretty awesome. (For those that don't know, the european Ford Focus is an incredibly awesome car. The North American one is a tremendous pile of crap).

I've heard that Mazda is afraid to make an "entry" level car that is faster than it's "sport" offering, the RX-8. So, from a marketing perspective, they won't offer the MS3 as and all wheel.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron