Any guesses where this is at? Only the locals know.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Saw this on Facebook had to share,but not tell you where it is at.
attachment.php

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1461117393718.jpg
    FB_IMG_1461117393718.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,469
Reactions: Clone83

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
That's pretty interesting. Would be cool if ISU got it restored and hung it somewhere in the SEZ club. (Unless wherever it is now is important for some reason.)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Probably by the site of the old Shelby school (Shelby, Iowa), since that's where Williams was from.

Reactions: stvfarmboy

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Where would the old Shelby School be located? Tried to find it on Google Earth but couldn't locate it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Saw this on Facebook had to share,but not tell you where it is at.
attachment.php

Very cool. I would hope the school would try to keep all these sorts of things. I heard a disturbing thing recently from someone in the ISU Athletics Department who said that they are giving lots of things back to families rather than keeping them. My hope would be that they would be keeping things in anticipation of having a true ISU athletics museum someday.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Very cool. I would hope the school would try to keep all these sorts of things. I heard a disturbing thing recently from someone in the ISU Athletics Department who said that they are giving lots of things back to families rather than keeping them. My hope would be that they would be keeping things in anticipation of having a true ISU athletics museum someday.

Disturbing, indeed. :spinny:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Where would the old Shelby School be located? Tried to find it on Google Earth but couldn't locate it.

The old school building (now apartments, I believe) is on Western Ave. The field is on the west side.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009

How dare they give things back to the families.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I knew, but didn't want to go all "Al Bundy" on you. OK, as a visiting, undersized freshman in a late season, first junior varsity start at linebacker, I had something like 22 or 24 tackles there (12 or 14 unassisted). :smile:

I was going to ask if the scoreboard and "Clyde Williams Field" sign are actually still there. But from a quick Google search it appears that they are.

In fact, it appears that the entire school building is either part of the National Register of Historic Places due to the architecture of the school, or that such has been applied for. I'm not completely sure. But it gives the appearance that it is now actually listed and part of such registry as that is what it shows for "status," as of February 5, 2014, at this web page for the National Park Service: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/13001139.htm

Furthermore, at that link is an attached pdf of the application, dated "received December 20, 2013." It has several pictures, including one of the boulder commemorating Clyde Williams (Photo No. 8, page 62).

I didn't see a picture of the scoreboard [edit, the scoreboard is visible on page 66 near the water tower]. Included is this description in the text:

The athletic field (315 x 360 feet) is located at the rear (west) of both the original school building and the 1975 gymnasium/vocational addition. The football field is on the east side and includes goal post and an electronic scoreboard bearing the name "CLYDE WILLIAMS FIELD."

It appears that it is off limits now, as part of the National Register. But I agree something like a replica of the scoreboard and sign in the SEZ club would be pretty cool.

Here is a relatively complete biography of Clyde Williams from the Des Moines Register:
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/hall-of-fame/single.php?id=538

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How dare they give things back to the families.

The point is not that they are giving things back to families, but that they are liquidating their archives. It isn't like the families are asking for it. They are taking the initiative to dump stuff on families. That is not good for historic preservation.

I much prefer the approach taken by Josh Kagavi as he bought the estate of Jack Trice's teammate!

http://www.kagavi.com/jack-trice-teammate-ira-youngs-estate/

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I knew, but didn't want to go all "Al Bundy" on you. OK, as a visiting, undersized freshman in a late season, first junior varsity start at linebacker, I had something like 22 or 24 tackles there (12 or 14 unassisted). :smile:

I was going to ask if the scoreboard and "Clyde Williams Field" sign are actually still there. But from a quick Google search it appears that they are.

In fact, it appears that the entire school building is either part of the National Register of Historic Places due to the architecture of the school, or that such has been applied for. I'm not completely sure. But it gives the appearance that it is now actually listed and part of such registry as that is what it shows for "status," as of February 5, 2014, at this web page for the National Park Service: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/13001139.htm

Furthermore, at that link is an attached pdf of the application, dated "received December 20, 2013." It has several pictures, including one of the boulder commemorating Clyde Williams (Photo No. 8, page 62).

I didn't see a picture of the scoreboard [edit, the scoreboard is visible on page 66 near the water tower]. Included is this description in the text:

It appears that it is off limits now, as part of the National Register. But I agree something like a replica of the scoreboard and sign in the SEZ club would be pretty cool.

Here is a relatively complete biography of Clyde Williams from the Des Moines Register:
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/hall-of-fame/single.php?id=538

Good sleuthing! The school and scoreboard are very interesting, even though the scoreboard has no connection to ISU except for the name Clyde Williams.