Any drummers out there?

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I would say some sticks, a couple of practice pads and some lessons. If he sticks with it for a few months then you can think about getting a drum kit.
He’ll hate it, but taking piano lessons helps immensely with coordination. (Not sure if its changed but way back when I was in grade school, you had to take 2 years of piano before you could play percussion in school).
Get him a snare drum to learn the basic rudiments and stick handling. (Practice pad if you want to keep your sanity). Get him some basic lessons. Don’t just get him a drum set and toss him on it, it’ll be a waste of money.
I was figuring lessons would be the way to go but was hoping it could be self taught easily. I have heard that piano lessons are required at some schools, that makes sense that the best drummer in my grade could play the piano too. Thanks

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I was figuring lessons would be the way to go but was hoping it could be self taught easily. I have heard that piano lessons are required at some schools, that makes sense that the best drummer in my grade could play the piano too. Thanks

I took piano lessons but slacked off and it didn't help. It did get me into drumline in HS though because it was a requirement (no test though).

The best thing you can do let him play without judgement. It will be loud and annoying but let him play. I am 100% self taught and this was before youtube and stuff like that.

Once he gets into band at school they'll have lessons, otherwise a teacher would be good once per week if he wants to learn the foundation.

Drums are great because you can just feel the music. Drums are like guitar in a way, you don't need to be a "music person" to become proficient